Name Change

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Keith Mayo

Name Change

Post by Keith Mayo »

I started out on the internet in the early days of bulletin boards and then later newsgroups. Back then it was the norm to use a "handle" as one's user name. When I joined this group I stuck to that old habit. It has been brought to my attention that this is frowned upon these days. With that in mind (and to be known by the name I use in several FB 1966 Batman groups) I changed my user name in this forum to match what I use everywhere else. Hope this clears up any confusion.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: Name Change

Post by Scott Sebring »

It's always cool to know someone by their real name but handles have never been "frowned" upon here. If someone is pushing that notion over here they need to chill. Still, glad to know ya, Keith.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Scott Sebring wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 1:07 pm It's always cool to know someone by their real name but handles have never been "frowned" upon here. If someone is pushing that notion over here they need to chill. Still, glad to know ya, Keith.
Let's just say my PM box has been very active lately. :-)

Speaking of PMs, can I get an address to mail my print of you in the Batmobile for an autograph (Return postage included, naturally)?
Attachments
29594933_2180463918646955_4101395341122791448_n.jpg
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

I'll get right on that. Lol.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I've always advocated for using your real name in posts on any message board, for me its simply a matter of knowing that you are attaching your name to your words, and personally I like it because when I meet folks in the real world I can never remember handles (CGC Boards and Uni Monster Army are the two places I meet many members of at events) and I don't need to echo Scott's feeling that it's not frowned upon.

You should use whatever name that works for you.
But nice to know who we're talking to.
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

AndyFish wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 8:16 am IYou should use whatever name that works for you.
Hmmm............

The things that come to mind. :-)
dell

Post by dell »

I find it ironic that some people advocate users here use their real names when the characters on the show we are here to discuss didn't do that. I get your point and understand it, but I just find it funny.
dell
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

Great point Dell, that is kinda funny. Our "masks" (avatars) still hide our true identities..
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

"Well, we all have a face
That we hide away forever
And we take them out
And show ourselves when everyone has gone
Some are satin, some are steel
Some are silk and some are leather
They're the faces of a stranger
But we'd love to try them on"
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

I have used a "handle" since the early days, but don't hide my real name. Facebook supposedly chases people if they realise you're not using your real name (one friend had to scan her passport as proof of a surname change!) and Flickr recently enforced the use of a real name, not a handle, switching people over.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)