A Broken Arm, A Sling and The Batman Tv Show

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Keith Mayo

A Broken Arm, A Sling and The Batman Tv Show

Post by Keith Mayo »

When Batman was in first run on tv I was 6 yrs old and living in Pasadena, TX. One late afternoon my older brother and I were playing football in the back yard when an accident occurred. He fell on top of me while we were both scrambling to pick up the football and being five yrs older, his weight caused my arm to get broken. Dad was a Marine Corps Recruiter and wouldn't be home for a few hours. Back in the 60's it was the norm for a family to have only one car so since Dad was at work, my mother couldn't take me to the hospital. She made a sling out of a sheet to rest my broken arm in and we awaited Dad's return so I could go to the emergency room. I sat in front of the tv with my broken arm in a sling and watched Batman. Dad comes home about half way through the show and tries to pick me up to take me to the ER. I yelled for him to stop and he thought I was in great pain but in reality I protested my removal because BATMAN WASN'T OVER YET!. The family sat there in disbelief watching me watching Batman on tv. Once the show was over I told Dad I was ready to go. Over the years Dad has told "the Batman/Broken Arm Story" a million times.

The attached photo was taken a short while before my arm got broken. For those who notice the strange leg brace and built up shoe I'm wearing, it was because I was crippled in my childhood.
Attachments
WP_20140331_08_40_45_Pro - Copy.jpg
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
dell

Re: A Broken Arm, A Sling and The Batman Tv Show

Post by dell »

I'm glad to hear you had your priorities in order even as a child. :D
dell
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Back then my whole world was Batman and GIjOE.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

Great story Keith. Thanks for sharing.
Mark Racop

Post by Mark Racop »

What a great story, Keith!
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Great story Keith.

Such a simpler time, where everything was black and white to our young eyes, even the photographs.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!