RIP Steve Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man and Dr. Strange

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

gothosmansion

RIP Steve Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man and Dr. Strange

Post by gothosmansion »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... 90-1125489

I wasn't born during his run on Spider-Man, but it is still one of my favorite runs in the history of comics.
SprangFan

Re: RIP Steve Ditko, co-creator of Spider-Man and Dr. Strange

Post by SprangFan »

Agreed, his Spider-Man was the best, and his run on Dr Strange was my favorite of any creator on any feature. I don't normally "double dip" on reprints of classic material, but I've purchased that Dr Strange run in every format it's been offered, and if I'm honest with myself I'd buy the next one, too.

What's weird is that I was a rabid fan of the "realistic" Neal Adams art style as a kid and would normally not have abided a style as quirky and idiosyncratic as Ditko 's, but something about it was irresistible. It's a credit to him that no matter who draws Spidey, Strange, the Creeper or the Blue Beetle -- even all these years later -- you still see Ditko's fingerprints all over them.of

Not many of the old masters left, now. RIP
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

RIP.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

And the legends continue to leave. Very sad to hear.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Yellow Oval wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:58 am And the legends continue to leave. Very sad to hear.
The way things are going, I doubt Stan Lee will be around much longer either.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Spider-man and Batman are my two favorites, with Zorro and Superman right behind them. The reason: definitive TV shows in my formative years. It wasn't until later that I noticed Spidey poses with these looping webs that were featured on the TV show.

I finally got some back issues from Robert Bell and Howard Rogofsky (sp?). If you know those guys, you are old. I remember getting my hands on AS1. Ditko style really caught my eye. Scrawny spindly kid in a red and black costume and you see him grow from that 10th grader into a college student.... but the action scenes didn't need captions, they didn't go in order, or they flowed through the page.

Most importantly, no two people looked alike. Most of the other artists had a sameness to all their faces. Ditko had narrow faces, wide faces, long faces, etc.

Contrast that with the stars do the 90's faces, where you need to check the costume to separate Captain America from Thor from the characters they drew for their start-up companies.

For me, the art in comics is everything. If it doesn't move me, I can't get interested in the stories. His art pulls you in so you want to read more. The issue with the weight on his back with the flooding chamber. That was a fantastic art issue, and I even recognized that sequence in another animated Spider-Man series

I would love to have heard Ditko's idea for the Goblin's identity. Could it be Jameson? Another reporter? A Police Captain.

His masterpieces speak for themselves. May he find the peace that seemingly eluded him during his brief visit with us.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!