Batgirl's new costume

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

gothosmansion

Batgirl's new costume

Post by gothosmansion »

Does anyone else hate that she isn't wearing a cowl? The cape is too short for my liking, too. The outfit is supposed to debut in Batgirl #26.
Attachments
MTUyOTA4NDU3Mg==.jpg
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjkvNTUwL29yaWdpbmFsL0JHX0N2MjcuanBnPzE1MjkwODQ1NzQ=.jpg
Yellow Oval

Re: Batgirl's new costume

Post by Yellow Oval »

DC Comics strikes again! Somebody give DiDio, Lee, and Johns a raise. :roll:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Can you say YUCK? Isn’t a “bat character” supposed to have ears? No cowl, no ears. This is god awful!
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Batman65 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:44 pm Can you say YUCK? Isn’t a “bat character” supposed to have ears? No cowl, no ears. This is god awful!
a

What are these?
Attachments
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjkvNTUwL29yaWdpbmFsL0JHX0N2MjcuanBnPzE1MjkwODQ1NzQ=.jpg
aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yMjkvNTUwL29yaWdpbmFsL0JHX0N2MjcuanBnPzE1MjkwODQ1NzQ=.jpg (13.09 KiB) Viewed 7293 times
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Looks like the Alicia Silverstone version of Batgirl, which we all know is universally regarded as a triumph.

Actually, I always feel guilty weighing in on these things when I know for an absolute fact that I will never buy a new comic no matter what, so I have no stake in any of it. Let them try whatever they like; if you don't care for it, wait six months and they'll reboot it all anyway.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Costumes get redesigned so often these days that I hardly pay attention anymore, but cowl-less uniforms for Bat-family members are nothing new -- even setting aside the obvious cases of Robin and Nightwing.

The new Batgirl mask isn't much different from the mask worn by the original Batwoman, introduced in the 1950s, or her modern-day successor, introduced in the 2000s.

It's also not very different from the mask used by Huntress, who was introduced in the 1970s as the crimefighter daughter of Earth-2 Batman and Catwoman. Her origin has since been revised (she's no longer a blood relation to the Dark Knight), but her mask is still more or less the same and AFAIK she's still considered part of the extended Batman Family.

Catwoman is also a Bat-family adjunct these days, and the new design reminds me a lot of Anne Hathaway's disguise in The Dark Knight Rises, although I think her "ears" and eyemask were separate pieces.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Keith Mayo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:23 pm
Batman65 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:44 pm Can you say YUCK? Isn’t a “bat character” supposed to have ears? No cowl, no ears. This is god awful!
a

What are these?
I believe those are two little pet bat-sharks she keeps in her hair. Sound ridiculous? Hey, when it comes to DC Comics now nothing is too ridiculous or absurd.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Yellow Oval wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:32 am
Keith Mayo wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:23 pm
a

What are these?
I believe those are two little pet bat-sharks she keeps in her hair. Sound ridiculous? Hey, when it comes to DC Comics now nothing is too ridiculous or absurd.
Batrettes? :-)
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

SprangFan wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:17 am Looks like the Alicia Silverstone version of Batgirl, which we all know is universally regarded as a triumph.

Actually, I always feel guilty weighing in on these things when I know for an absolute fact that I will never buy a new comic no matter what, so I have no stake in any of it. Let them try whatever they like; if you don't care for it, wait six months and they'll reboot it all anyway.
I'm just going to link my account to SprangFan and save myself time posting.
Ditto.
robinboyblunderer

Post by robinboyblunderer »

This stuff isn't worth hating, just another costume redesign that they'll probably change in a year's time.

Getting rid of the cowl for something different is fine but the bat ears look odd sticking up like that; seems like Catwoman than Batgirl.

Maybe the ears should've been built off the tips of the mask like cheapo Batman masks I've seen. I guess that would be too close to the Huntress design but it would look better in my opinion. Not as large as the Huntress mask.
High C

Post by High C »

SprangFan wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:17 am Looks like the Alicia Silverstone version of Batgirl, which we all know is universally regarded as a triumph.
<golf clap>
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

High C wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:52 pm
<golf clap>
Love that movie, Men at Work!
Music. BAT! Music.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

AndyFish wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:35 am

I'm just going to link my account to SprangFan and save myself time posting.
Ditto.
Link mine too. I'll just kick back and enjoy the show :lol:
Music. BAT! Music.
High C

Post by High C »

John Mack wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:54 pm
High C wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:52 pm
<golf clap>
Love that movie, Men at Work!
haha, let me say that in this case, I meant it completely complimentary!
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Hmmm, I thought everything about that movie was looked down upon? Ok.. :lol:
Music. BAT! Music.