Shazam! trailer

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

John Mack

Re: Shazam! trailer

Post by John Mack »

Lol. Yeah, I was gonna say where's the Z A M part?
Music. BAT! Music.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Nothing beats the old Saturday morning theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgXeXTuKGhM

I still say the narrator should have said "As they travel the highways and bi-ways of around L.A." and not "the land". We all knew back then that they only stuck around the L.A. area - which was fine when you were watching it on a snowy Saturday morning.

Man, watching this intro makes me want to watch the series all over again while eating two big heaping bowls of Cap'n Crunch. Yeah, I know it's not healthy eating, but back in the '70s on Saturday morning who cared? 8-)
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Z The power of Zeus
A The courage of Achilles
M The speed of Mercury
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

Yellow Oval wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:13 am I also don't get the studios' habitual insistence on corrupting heroes, i.e., Captain Marvel is seen drinking beer from a six-pack. L
It’s soda, not beer.
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

I could be wrong but SHAZAM only works when Billy says it.
So unless they ask "Whats your name?" (which, now that I think of it, they probably will)
The Big Red Cheese, Capt. Marvel, Shazam, or whatever his name is has been portrayed as "Big" style before ( Young Justice), and possibly currently in the comics. It is an interesting interpretation of the character, at least to me. Not that there is anything wrong with the Golden Age or TV show versions.
Plus Freddy Freeman will eventually get his powers by saying the name Captain Marvel.
Perhaps they will find a way to write around the names.
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Yellow Oval wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:48 am Nothing beats the old Saturday morning theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgXeXTuKGhM

I still say the narrator should have said "As they travel the highways and bi-ways of around L.A." and not "the land". We all knew back then that they only stuck around the L.A. area - which was fine when you were watching it on a snowy Saturday morning.

Man, watching this intro makes me want to watch the series all over again while eating two big heaping bowls of Cap'n Crunch. Yeah, I know it's not healthy eating, but back in the '70s on Saturday morning who cared? 8-)
Oh the memories!
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

Yellow Oval wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:13 am
John Mack wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:34 pm It's definitely towards the campy light hearted side but does Yellow Oval give it a pan or a thumbs up? :lol:
https://youtu.be/go6GEIrcvFY
They haven't given us the heroes we know and love, but the jaded, depressed ones "they" think we should have and that's the problem. Since when did the society's obsession start with all things darker of human nature?
This is the reason I really like The Guardians of the Galaxy films, and especially the character Peter "Star Lord" Quill. :-)

https://youtu.be/ZXM0YZQtwTo

https://youtu.be/jaaJyAjvajo

https://youtu.be/TW19M3VCeWc
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

I agree with Batman65 that this won't measure up to the old Saturday morning Shazam show in either character or even the awesome theme song.
Filmation's Shazam! was often mocked for being typically low budget (for the studio) and overdoing the moralizing with some rather dodgy effects.
I also fully agree that the superhero movie thing should stop. They haven't given us the heroes we know and love, but the jaded, depressed ones "they" think we should have and that's the problem.
This "we" in regards to heroes is not all comic book or comic book movie fans. Comic books have sold serious superheroes for over 50 years, with each "age" (Silver, Bronze, Modern, etc.) becoming more adult in content, which was (in part) a response to reader interest. Superheoes on TV or the movies would never have survived if they were still packaged like 50's DC comics (or the George Reeves show), or 1970s Saturday morning cartoons like The Super Friends.

Since when did the society's obsession start with all things darker of human nature?
Man has been interested in that from the start--from ancient fables to Greek myths, to Victorian novels to the present day. Its always been a part of storytelling tradition and general public interest. in a very real side of human life. It can bring out great moments or stories for fictional characters as they are actually being challenged with things that are not easily solved instead of swooping down with a wink and a smile and its off to jail for the baddie. That's best left in the 50s.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:58 pm
I agree with Batman65 that this won't measure up to the old Saturday morning Shazam show in either character or even the awesome theme song.
Filmation's Shazam! was often mocked for being typically low budget (for the studio) and overdoing the moralizing with some rather dodgy effects.
I also fully agree that the superhero movie thing should stop. They haven't given us the heroes we know and love, but the jaded, depressed ones "they" think we should have and that's the problem.
This "we" in regards to heroes is not all comic book or comic book movie fans. Comic books have sold serious superheroes for over 50 years, with each "age" (Silver, Bronze, Modern, etc.) becoming more adult in content, which was (in part) a response to reader interest. Superheoes on TV or the movies would never have survived if they were still packaged like 50's DC comics (or the George Reeves show), or 1970s Saturday morning cartoons like The Super Friends.

Since when did the society's obsession start with all things darker of human nature?
Man has been interested in that from the start--from ancient fables to Greek myths, to Victorian novels to the present day. Its always been a part of storytelling tradition and general public interest. in a very real side of human life. It can bring out great moments or stories for fictional characters as they are actually being challenged with things that are not easily solved instead of swooping down with a wink and a smile and its off to jail for the baddie. That's best left in the 50s.
8-)
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Z-Zeus (darnifIremember)
A- The invulnerability of Achilles
M- the Speed of Mercury

Hope that helps some!
Larry
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Yellow Oval wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:53 am
BATWINGED HORNET wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:58 pm

8-)

While you, and others on the board here may be right, I predict that this movie will NOT do well. Time will tell I guess. This looks ridiculous, and that suit.. no, no, NO! It looks like a cheap Halloween costume. The bat suits made by many on this board look 100x better than this ridiculous looking thing. This will be a major PASS for me.