Seeking recommendations for comic protectors

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

mwilbury

Seeking recommendations for comic protectors

Post by mwilbury »

I'm looking for protective sleeves/cases for select Golden and Silver Age comics in my collection (and even a handful of Bronze comics that people are now paying ridiculous prices for). They are not high-grade items, but are valuable enough to justify a little more care.

I'm not looking for graded comics gear as I don't want to pay an exorbitant amount, but I'd like something sturdier than a thick mylar sleeve and of course something that won't discolor the comic anytime soon. In my collection, I have a few top-loaders (like a big baseball card sleeve) and some heavy-weight sleeves that I like, but I don't know the brands or plastic composition.

I've found plenty of items out there on the internet, but does anyone have recommendations from their personal collections?
John Mack

Re: Seeking recommendations for comic protectors

Post by John Mack »

Hello.
Let me be extremely honest with you. I have had comic books in plastic bags with boards, both unknown brand or type, unknown if they're acid free as well, for 30 years. Never switched any of them out and guess what? You guessed it. The comic books are fine. I know you're talking about something heavier. I'm just saying, get what you want and they'll be fine. Perhaps Andy Fish has some name brands or more info. I just wanted to ease your mind.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Unless you live in an extremely dry climate as John does regular plastic bags are eventually going to break down. Biggest indicator you have a problem (especially with golden age comics) is you open the bag and are overwhelmed with a vinegar smell.

You want MYLITES— available on Amazon and at finer comic shops. They are thinner versions of those rigid Mylar sleeves a lot of older comics are kept in. These are thin enough that they have a flap you can close.

You’re going to want to measure your Golden Age Comics— because there are two sizes— Super Golden Age and Golden Age— earlier stuff is usually Super Golden size— all of my first 20 issues of Batman are super Golden sized.

MYLITES are not incredibly expensive and you’ll want to get backer boards too.
mwilbury

Post by mwilbury »

Thanks for the feedback.

Many of my sleeves from 10-15 years ago are breaking down at the edges. I'm not terribly worried about the value of those comics, but replacing them will be an annoyance.

I'll order some MYLITES, and, depending on how they feel in-hand, maybe get some top-loading plastic sleeves to go around them. I'm not only concerned with the archival nature of the sleeves and boards, but I also want to protect them from my own hands. I keep all my comics on IKEA cubby-style shelves around my office and don't want to risk mangling the more expensive ones when I pull them out.