Joker Movie Reveal

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Yellow Oval

Joker Movie Reveal

Post by Yellow Oval »

A clip has been released of Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker. I put this in Off Topic Lounge as it just doesn't seem a real Batman movie item to me. Just more of Warners throwing at the wall. In any event, draw your own conclusions.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/42199 ... ker-makeup
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
John Mack

Re: Joker Movie Reveal

Post by John Mack »

Yeah, no.
Music. BAT! Music.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I had a tiny, teeny, itty bitty, molecule sized sliver of hope for this movie...but that's all gone now...why can't they just get it right! But hey, I think this might be popular with the horror crowd of today...
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

I like it ok, hopefully It will erase the image of Jared Leto inked up grill faced idiot from everyone's memory. To me it looks like it might just dovetail into Heath Ledger's version. Be nice if this was a start of a reboot of the DCU. They need to keep what worked and jettison the rest. looks like the survival of DC movies might depend on the performance of Shazam and Aquaman. Both look really well made so maybe. Too bad Cavill may be gone.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

John Mack wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:19 pmYeah, no.
What John said! I said it before, and I will say it again, Why can’t they just stop with this stuff already!
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

It does seem weird that they can’t get the character right. There are decades of comic books to use as guides, Cesar Romero’s make up and his sometimes serious take in several episodes, and even Nicholson’s take in a few scenes in the 89 film.

After that it seemed to devolve into a contest to find the next over-the-top version. Ledger spent the film chewing the scenery, and Leto looks like it is easily the worst possible version ever - I didn’t bother watching the film. Truthfully, I doubt I’ll bother with this one either.

I don’t understand the desire to reinvent the character each time. There are decades of examples of The Joker. If that doesn’t work for the story of a particular film, invent a character who does. It doesn’t always have to be The Joker.

Man, when DC gets an idea in their head, it sticks like taffy. They’ve completely over saturated the franchise with Harley Quinn and The Joker. Enough already.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

I'll hold judgment until I see the film.

Wondering how many different versions of the Hot Wheels 1966 Batmobiles are owned by those saying "enough already". :-)
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

Keith Mayo wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:04 am I'll hold judgment until I see the film.

Wondering how many different versions of the Hot Wheels 1966 Batmobiles are owned by those saying "enough already". :-)
I own exactly one! 1/18 scale.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Batman65 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:16 am
John Mack wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:19 pmYeah, no.
What John said! I said it before, and I will say it again, Why can’t they just stop with this stuff already!
Because Christopher Nolan's Batman films were phenomenal successes that appealed to comic fan and regular movie-goer alike, so that model is what drives all versions to follow. This is the kind of Joker (and Batman) modern audiences want to see. Its no different than the 1992 Batman cartoon: at that point, no one wanted to see yet more of the awful Super Friends / New Scooby-Doo Movies / 1977 Filmaton type of Batman (and suporting characters) again, hence the overwhelming positive response to the WB Batman series. Times and fan interest changed, and that applies to the current way the Joker is adapted.
Beneath Wayne Manor
artbat123

Post by artbat123 »

Where's the mustache!!!
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

Keith Mayo wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:04 am I'll hold judgment until I see the film.

Well, aren’t we subtle.

One.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

One, regular size 1/67th or whatever it is. Autographed by Barris
Music. BAT! Music.
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

I didn't think I'd like Heath Ledger's Joker, especially from those first still shots of his makeup, but he was so compelling!

I have enjoyed Joaquin Phoenix in other roles and he may well do it justice. Happy to give him a chance!

Romero and Nicholson's Jokers are so indelible, but also very different to each other. Had the new makeup copied their look exactly there'd still be complaints.
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
FLOYDLEWIS

Post by FLOYDLEWIS »

dear Warner brothers...stop playing this game of everything but BATMAN...its not that hard to do..AND I suggest you do something before Disney realizes it owns the 1966 batman..and marvelizes it

and this is my favorite one...I have a few