1973 Saturday morning poll, pt. 1

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

What would you watch on Saturday morning, 1973, pt. 1

Poll ended at Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:07 pm

8am NBC Lidsville
14%
8am ABC Bugs Bunny
19%
8am CBS Vision On (I think this was a local program)
No votes
8:30am Inch High Private Eye
14%
8:30am ABC Yogi's Gang
2%
8:30am CBS Bailey's Comets
5%
9-10am NBC Addams Family/Emergency +4 animated
5%
9-10am ABC Super Friends
33%
9-10am CBS Scooby Doo Movies
9%

Total votes: 43

Jim K, Bat fan

1973 Saturday morning poll, pt. 1

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

I was thinking - we haven't had a poll in ages! And finding an old 1973 TV Guide got me thinking "what would I have watched in the fall on Saturday morning?" And I'd love to hear what others think.

So here are your choices. Please select one from the 8am slot; one from the 8:30am slot; and one from the 9-10am slot (the CBS and ABC shows were hour long, so I lumped the 2 NBC shows together.)

I believe that's all I can place in one poll, so I will create part two as well.
Yellow Oval

Re: 1973 Saturday morning poll, pt. 1

Post by Yellow Oval »

I have to say even though I picked one per time slot I was guilty of getting yelled at for sitting too close to the TV. I'm sure many of us remember TVs didn't have remotes back then so sitting near the TV enabled us to switch between boring parts or commercials. Having said that, during rerun season I would switch between Lidsville and Bugs Bunny at 8 and then between Super Friends and Scooby-Doo Movies afterwards.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

I was looking at this and pt. 2 and honestly, all I can remember watching regularly were Bugs Bunny and Super Friends. Probably the same everywhere, but in Houston that was two hours of Saturday morning cartoons. After that I was outside playing.

All the others in either poll are shows I rarely, if ever, watched. By 1973 I was in Boy Scouts plus had started riding my first motorcycle. I had stuff to do so I watched those two and then started my day.

Of those two, Bugs Bunny was a never-miss. Super Friends only really held my attention if it was Batman-centric.

The only other show I watched, also a never-miss, was a show called Make A Wish (I think). It was a sort of word association educational show that I LOVED. The host would start by saying he wished he were a...and then he would go through the different types of things the word meant; “If I were a ball, I could be a bowling ball, an eight ball, but that doesn’t mean you’d only be eight, you could be a ball bearing and help a wheel, similar to a ball, but......”. It had a sort of running montage to go along with the word association/explanation.

To this day, I’ve had a running exercise with a friend of mine where we do something similar with a word or series of words that rhyme, complete with our silly explanations. No doubt, Make A Wish had an impact on my imagination.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

In Australia, Saturday morning TV was probably always about 18 months behind what was new in USA, and there were always certain success stories that were on an endless loop of repeats.

I distinctly remember watching "Frankenstein Jr and the Impossibles", "The Archies", "The New Adventures of Batman", the original b/w "Astroboy" and its companion show, "Prince Planet" (which was huge in Australia but barely known in USA), the animated "The Beatles", all in first-run on Saturday mornings, but all in glorious b/w, as Australia didn't get colour TV until March 1975. I well remember "HR Pufnstuf" (which also had a theatrical movie), "The Bugaloos" and "Sigmund and the Sea Monsters", but I didn't know of "Lidsville" until many years later, reading articles about Kroffts' shows.

When breakfast TV came to weekday mornings, many of the animated shows we once saw in b/w on Saturdays were now re-presented in full colour as we got ready for school, including "Crusader Rabbit", "Roger Ramjet", "Spider-Man" and "Rocky and his Friends".

Some cartoons were premiered during weekday afternoons rather than Saturday mornings: "Cartoon Corner", hosted by a young, local personality, included series like "Dastardly & Muttley and their Flying Machines" (which we actually saw before knowing "Wacky Races", then "Wacky Races" itself, which featured a phone viewer competition with prizes for betting on the winning cars, "The Perils of Penelope Pitstop" and "Inch High, Private Eye", plus repeats of "The Bugs Bunny Show", although I also remember that series on Sunday nights in the early 60s, complete with the old intros to each cartoon. Each episode came with an ongoing storyline, usually about Daffy's rivalry with Bugs, that was used to incorporate the introductions to each "Looney Tune" or "Merry Melodies" cartoon. Saturday evenings featured "The Huckleberry Hound Show", "Magilla Gorilla", "King Arthur and his Square Knights of the Round Table" and "The Cattanooga Cats".
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
Jim K, Bat fan

Post by Jim K, Bat fan »

As the Saturday morning poll has ended, it looks like Bugs and Lidsville were in an almost tie at 8am and Sigmund and the Brady Kids close to a tie at 11am.

No surprise that Super Friends was the highest vote getter, but the animated Star Trek was right up there as well! Two great Saturday morning shows that still hold up.

And not one vote for "Vision On" or Goober and the Ghost Chasers! :lol:

Thanks to everyone who participated!