Superman '78

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Mr.Freeze

Superman '78

Post by Mr.Freeze »

Dec 10 marks 40 yrs since the premiere :shock:

Saw it recently in cinema , the opening scene is so.......powerful !
SprangFan

Re: Superman '78

Post by SprangFan »

!!!!!!!

Thanks, I almost got through a whole day without remembering how very old I am. Lol
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

I have fond memories of my mom taking me to see it. She had a hard purse that I sat on like a booster seat. Still the best Superman movie ever.
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

Happy 40th Anniversary Superman: The Movie!
Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 7.39.50 AM.png
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

gothosmansion wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:37 pm I have fond memories of my mom taking me to see it. She had a hard purse that I sat on like a booster seat. Still the best Superman movie ever.
I think so too. There were just so many things in that movie that, at the time were so cool. The iconic movie soundtrack still has legs today. You hear those opening trumpets and its like..THATS SUPERMAN..COOL! Lois falling from the copter and Supes telling her, "I got you" to which she replies, "but who's got you"! Just a really fun and memorable moment. That's nothing like the stuff we are seeing out of Hollywood today. Everything now is how much CGI destruction can we cram into a 2 hour movie. Its just not the same. They went to great lengths to see that they did it right back then. Walking out of the theater after seeing that movie (78), and walking out of the theater after seeing M.O.S., I had two totally different feelings, and rightfully so. That movie (78) was done right! It is my fav also.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Batman65 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:17 am
gothosmansion wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:37 pm I have fond memories of my mom taking me to see it. She had a hard purse that I sat on like a booster seat. Still the best Superman movie ever.
I think so too. There were just so many things in that movie that, at the time were so cool. The iconic movie soundtrack still has legs today. You hear those opening trumpets and its like..THATS SUPERMAN..COOL! Lois falling from the copter and Supes telling her, "I got you" to which she replies, "but who's got you"! Just a really fun and memorable moment. That's nothing like the stuff we are seeing out of Hollywood today. Everything now is how much CGI destruction can we cram into a 2 hour movie. Its just not the same. They went to great lengths to see that they did it right back then. Walking out of the theater after seeing that movie (78), and walking out of the theater after seeing M.O.S., I had two totally different feelings, and rightfully so. That movie (78) was done right! It is my fav also.
I'm in agreement. The most powerful superhero movie of all time as John Williams' theme defined the character, concept, everything. I saw the movie in '78 on its release and was literally blown away from the opening scenes of Krypton with its own defining theme to first seeing Christopher Reeve standing in the distance on an ice shelf in the Fortress of Solitude with the trumpet blaring the theme. I remember when he flew towards the camera, and did the fly-by, the theater shook with the screams and cheers of the fans. When I saw the travesty called Man of Steel the theater had a fair number of people in the seats but the place was silent through the whole movie. Upon exiting I remember hearing some people wondering aloud about asking for their money back. More to point, and referring again to theme music, I can't for the life of me ever remember the Man of Steel theme. I've viewed/listened to it on YouTube and it doesn't stick. I don't find it inspiring in the slightest and the music just seems to build and build, but never goes anywhere. Maybe the musicians on this site could offer their two cents on the differences between Williams and Hans Zimmer, who I think is an overrated hack. He has the same formula in everything - loud jungle war drums for action scenes, a piano playing one 'plink-plink-plink' note for the introspective scenes, and strings going higher and higher when the action starts to pick up or build which is supposed to signal the inspiration or something but it doesn't work. I think he's a one-trick pony. Williams, on the other hand, well, who else could make two simple music notes instill fear in audiences around the planet back in 1975 (you all know the film I'm "jawing" about :o )?

In any event, I couldn't be bothered with today's superhero movie thing anymore. Actually, I'm sick of them to be honest and this comes from a guy who's been into comics since 1968. Hollywood has become monotonous on movie screens and TV. I don't bother with either anymore. So much CGI is used it literally looks like a bad cartoon in the background and the Color Correction Technique they now use ad nauseum making everything onscreen and on TV look like washed-out yellow, blue, white, etc., is irritating as all get out. Nowhere in real life do you see washed-out, exaggerated colors like that (and how come hardly anyone notices?). I see Aquaman is the big push coming up but Jason Momoa is not Aquaman - personality or looks. Aquaman is not a mishmash of Khal Drogo and Rob Zombie (and yes, I know all about the '90s version missing a hand, having long hair, and a beard). It's just a cheap ploy by DC/WB to cash in on the already fading Games of Thrones obsession. He was so-so in that because he's very wooden as an actor (or simply bad) just like the rest of DC/WB's stable of movie and TV acting "heroes". Anyways, I'm off to watch some old episodes of Kolchak - The Night Stalker - a classic TV series with another iconic theme song. :D
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Therin of Andor

Post by Therin of Andor »

My Andorian Sock Monkey recently re-enacted scenes from the movie during my trip to New York City.

Daily Planet by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Foyer of the Daily Planet building by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Spinning globe in the Daily Planet building by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Daily Planet by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Looking for cat burglars by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Solow Building by Ian McLean, on Flickr
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
rajung

Post by rajung »

Yep, remember seeing that movie at the theater on its release night, 1st movie for me back home in the U.S after my ETS from the service with my girl friend. Great movie.
Also have fond memories, got kicked to the curb by my then girl friend after 7 years ,Last movie together.