Guess What I’m Getting for Christmas! - The Green Hornet Serials!!

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Frenchy1939

Guess What I’m Getting for Christmas! - The Green Hornet Serials!!

Post by Frenchy1939 »

I am a true blue Batman fan, but I’ve now seen every Batman movie, serial, and TV episode numerous times and out of respect for Batman, should take a break.

I am excited about watching the Green Hornet serials! I’ve never cared about Green Hornet but I think it could be fun. I dig the car (a Zephyr) from the serials and heard that car was the inspiration for the original red Batmobile!
Lou Szabo

Re: Guess What I’m Getting for Christmas!

Post by Lou Szabo »

That’s great! Be sure to pick up the radio serials too. These may be in the public domain.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
dell

Post by dell »

I was going to guess your two front teeth.
dell
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

dell wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:35 pm I was going to guess your two front teeth.
Haha! Awesome!
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

It seems “binge watching” is popular nowadays. No, not Game of Thrones, not Breaking Bad, The Green Hornet movie serials! Yeah, old school!

Well, I sort of feel like I am watching ghosts because everybody in those serials...well, let’s do the math. If the actors were, say, 20 in 1940, that means they were born in 1920. And, uh, it’s 2019, so they’re all 99+ years old or have moved on to that movie theatre in the sky...R.I.P. serials actors.

Anyway, Anne Nagel, aka Miss Case, was a gorgeous little thing. I think I have a crush on her.

Can you blame me? Wow!

Just wondering....any of you guys watch the Green Hornet serials lately?
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Sorry to say she passed away at the young age of 50 in July 1966.
Music. BAT! Music.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

As a life long fan of all serials I think it's important to note they are not designed for binge watching. They wear out their welcome quickly with the recaps. You should try sticking to either an episode a day or even better one a week-- that's how they were made to be seen.

On the Hornet Serials, I like the sequel GREEN HORNET STRIKES AGAIN better than the first one. Warren Hull is a better Hornet than Gordon Jones was, IMO.
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

John Mack wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:41 pm Sorry to say she passed away at the young age of 50 in July 1966.
Yes, I read that a few days ago... liver cancer. I think they’ve all passed away by now. If I remember correctly, the poor lady had an appendectomy in ‘37 which left her unable to have children, too. Coincidentally, my Dad’s appendix burst in 1934 when he was 10. The scar that he had from that was horrific and I imagine in the ‘30s they broke out the ether and scalpels and started cutting. It was medieval I bet....no wonder he didn’t like doctors after that!

I can tell by watching those old films that things were tough back then. Just the way they drove the cars looked dangerous as can be. I hope no stunt drivers got killed speeding around those corners!

Oh well, when I turn those old movies on, it’s 1940 again. Live on, Green Hornet!
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

AndyFish wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:40 am As a life long fan of all serials I think it's important to note they are not designed for binge watching. They wear out their welcome quickly with the recaps. You should try sticking to either an episode a day or even better one a week-- that's how they were made to be seen.

On the Hornet Serials, I like the sequel GREEN HORNET STRIKES AGAIN better than the first one. Warren Hull is a better Hornet than Gordon Jones was, IMO.
Hmmm...not designed for binge watching, eh? When you get right down to it, nothing is probablly designed for binge watching.

AndyFish, I am going to break all the rules, and binge watch serials, anyway!!! Mua ha ha! I’m living on the edge! ;)

Seriously though, you are correct. I wouldn’t recommend to any normal person to try to watch a movie serial in one or two sittings for the reasons you’ve stated. However, I suspect that I may be a bit eccentric, lol!!! I am totally enjoying them.

Actually, I already finished “The Green Hornet” and am a third of the way through “The Green Hornet Strikes Again”. I like the way Gordon Jones changed his voice as soon as he donned the Hornet mask. I haven’t noticed Warren Hull do that yet. Thanks for the input.
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Frenchy, that wasn't Jones changing his voice but instead a voice over by Al Hodge, the voice of the GH on radio. They felt Jones' voice wasn't commanding enough so Hodge stepped in to fill in the Hornet's voice, an easy task as his face was obscured by the mask.
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Oh and by the way, I also have a serious crush on Anne Nagel. Her expressions were marvelous and she had the sexiest accent on the screen I've ever heard. A real "gal Friday"!
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

maniac cop 5 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:10 pm Oh and by the way, I also have a serious crush on Anne Nagel. Her expressions were marvelous and she had the sexiest accent on the screen I've ever heard. A real "gal Friday"!
You got that right! She had a little something to bring to the show, no doubt!
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

maniac cop 5 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:06 pm Frenchy, that wasn't Jones changing his voice but instead a voice over by Al Hodge, the voice of the GH on radio. They felt Jones' voice wasn't commanding enough so Hodge stepped in to fill in the Hornet's voice, an easy task as his face was obscured by the mask.
Well, that explains it! I wonder if that little trick influenced Filmation’s Superman cartoon? They did a similar voice change when Clark became Superman, “This is job (wimpy voice) for Superman (commanding voice).”

Thanks for the trivia!
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Actually, radio influenced that too but in a different way. Bud Collyer, the voice of Clark/ Superman did both voices and used that trick on the radio Superman show so that the audiences could "see" in their mind, Clark's change into the man of steel. That trick, of changing voices or over emphasizing words and sounds was a common one on radio shows of the time to give the audience a "heads up" of action about to occur. Filmation decided to use Collyer as he was already know as the voice of Superman on radio and he just continued the same trick, now with cartoon visuals to boot! I grew up with that cartoon and still love it and the theme music today!
Frenchy1939

Post by Frenchy1939 »

maniac cop 5 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:42 pm Actually, radio influenced that too but in a different way. Bud Collyer, the voice of Clark/ Superman did both voices and used that trick on the radio Superman show so that the audiences could "see" in their mind, Clark's change into the man of steel. That trick, of changing voices or over emphasizing words and sounds was a common one on radio shows of the time to give the audience a "heads up" of action about to occur. Filmation decided to use Collyer as he was already know as the voice of Superman on radio and he just continued the same trick, now with cartoon visuals to boot! I grew up with that cartoon and still love it and the theme music today!
Hey, thanks for the info! I didn’t realize, that.