Is your Favorite Movie Celebrating an Anniversary in 2019?!

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

vintagematt

Is your Favorite Movie Celebrating an Anniversary in 2019?!

Post by vintagematt »

2019 is a big year for anniversaries in movies and tv! I thought I would list some of the ones I'm looking forward too! Feel free to respond with ones I didn't list! HAPPY NEW YEAR ( well when I post this it will be a couple hours 'till the new year)!! :D

-Batman (1989)---30th
-007: On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)--50th!!! Yay!!!
-007: Moonraker (1979)--40th
-The Wizard of Oz (1939)--80th (woo hoo!!)
-007: License to Kill (1989)--30th
-The Black Hole (1979)--40th
-Son of Frankenstein (1939)--80th (whoa!!!)
-Batman and Robin Serials (1949)--70th!!

That's all I could think of! :D
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
Therin of Andor

Re: Is your Favorite Movie Celebrating an Anniversary in 2019?!

Post by Therin of Andor »

TMP at the Paramount, Sydney, Australia by Ian McLean, on Flickr

40th anniversary of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture"!
"Holy nostalgia, Batman!"
Therin of Andor

(aka Ian McLean, from Sydney, Australia)
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Pretty sure "Gone With The Wind" (1939) must be somebody's favorite. For me, that year bought "Dodge City", which as an Errol Flynn fan is high on my list.

Got to see OHMSS on the big screen finally last year, and as Moonraker was my first Bond in a theater, seeing it there again this year would send me...um...over the moon.

1959 brought my favorite Hitchcock film -- and prototype for the Bonds -- "North By Northwest."
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

OHMSS is one of my favorite Bond movies, which makes it one of my favorite movies, period. I like Licence to Kill (and Timothy Dalton) as Bond better than most people.

Not a movie, but "Secret of the Waiting Graves" the first O'Neil/Adams Batman will turn 50 later this year. It has a 1970 cover date, but it was released in 1969. I probably wouldn't have remembered that if Batman hadn't put the date on the Muertos' headstones. Darn it, all the good stuff happened before I was born.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

gothosmansion wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:44 am OHMSS is one of my favorite Bond movies, which makes it one of my favorite movies, period. I like Licence to Kill (and Timothy Dalton) as Bond better than most people.
I agree with both statements, OHMSS is probably my second favorite movie ever! And although a controversial opinion, I Love Daltons Bond, especially the film License to Kill!
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

My first Bond in the theater was Diamonds are Forever (1971). That's 48!!
I loved the first appearance of Dalton in the Living Daylights. John Barry comes back with updated Bond music, and oh brother! That Aston Martin! I could go on and on about Bond. I joined a 007 board and thought it would be similar to the Batboard. Boy, was I wrong. A bunch of foul mouthed know it alls. No fun, took everything so seriously. I stayed a month and had enough!
Music. BAT! Music.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

I can’t believe I forgot one of my favorite shows; the original Clayton Moore Lone Ranger! First aired in 1949, 70th anniversary yay!!!!!
Blue Meanie

Post by Blue Meanie »

Does a 55th Anniversary count?

The Beatles ‘A Hard Days Night’
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

Blue Meanie wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:50 pm Does a 55th Anniversary count?

The Beatles ‘A Hard Days Night’
Sure does!!!

The Beatles always get to break a few rules!
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I could go on and on about Bond. I joined a 007 board and thought it would be similar to the Batboard. Boy, was I wrong. A bunch of foul mouthed know it alls. No fun, took everything so seriously. I stayed a month and had enough!
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. For sure some boards (and individuals) are more pleasant than others, but in general I've had great interactions with Bond fans online (and off) and made some lasting friendships with folks from around the world. Although to be honest my best experiences predated message boards per se, dating back to the "alt.fan.james-bond" user group that predated graphical browsers (!!).

If anyone here gets a chance to see OHMSS -- or any vintage Bond -- on the big screen this year, I highly recommend it. No disrespect to modern flics and Daniel Craig, but they just don't make 'em like they used to.
"Or worse. Let's go..."
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

http://www.marcustheatres.com/movies/tc ... of-oz-80th

For anyone looking to celebrate the Wizard of Oz turning 80, it's playing at select Marcus Theaters locations, coincidentally one day after my birthday....
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Our local Regal cinemas (and likely the whole chain) is also showing "Wizard of Oz" on the 27th, 29th and 30th.

Other anniversary screenings this year at Regal theaters will include "True Grit" (50 years), "Alien" (40 years), "When Harry Met Sally" (30 years), "My Fair Lady" (55 years) and "Shawshank Redemption" (25 years).

On the up side, that's a lot of films I like. On the down side, I suddenly feel very old.
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

I guess I could go with the 1989 Batman as being one having an anniversary although it is my third favorite Batman behind the 1966 and 1992 releases.

Therin, that Star Trek drawing is awesome. I remember the anticipated hype for the film when it was coming back in '79. Does anyone else remember the somewhat hypnotic, full-color ads on the back of comic books in particular? Great times. I guess I would list that as another anniversary one for me. Also one from '79 that was not in the theater but was on TV was the original Salem's Lot with David Soul and James Mason. Still love watching that one.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Yellow Oval,

I remember the old Star Trek the Motion Picture ads in the comics. They were really eyecatching. I was looking forward to the movie, but, have to admit, I was disappointed with it.

If were doing the 5 anniversaries.

55 years-

Goldfinger
Viva Las Vegas
The Masque of the Red Death

45 years-
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (my favorite Godzilla movie)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter

35 years-
Silent Night, Deadly Night
A Nightmare on Elm Street

While it is definitely not a favorite.
30 years-
Robot Ninja - a really awful movie starring Burt Ward as a comic book publisher. Also features Linnea Quigley in a small role.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Silent Night, Deadly Night
Wow, I'd forgotten that one! When it came out, I was living in an upright town where concerned citizens drove it out of the theater in short order as an "abomination" and an affront to cherished American ideals. I mean, really, Santa Claus as a serial killer? :o

In 1981, a staffer on the same town's newspaper upheld the community's ideals in printed ads for "For Your Eyes Only", drawing a "tasteful" pair of shorts over the skimpy bikini bottoms worn by the woman on the poster.

Good thing those folks saved American entertainment from a slide into tacky and lurid excess 30+ years ago, or who knows where we'd be today. :lol:
"Or worse. Let's go..."