100 years of Zorro in 2019

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Lou Szabo

100 years of Zorro in 2019

Post by Lou Szabo »

Johnston McCulley's 1919 book The Curse of Capistrano was the forerunner to Batman. This is the 100th anniversary of the Fox.

http://chronicleillinois.com/news/peori ... he-author/

My favorite interpretation is Disney’s Zorro with Guy Williams. I’ve seen just about every US release from the 1920 Silent film with Douglas Fairbanks, through the most recent.

Any other fans out there?

https://www.newsarama.com/42842-zorro-s ... -2019.html
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
AndyFish

Re: 100 years of Zorro in 2019

Post by AndyFish »

As a kid Zorro was my favorite, Lou-- I think he even passed Batman for a time. The 1975 movie with Alain Delon was my favorite as a kid, today I'd probably go with the serial Zorro's Fighting Legion. I have the Guy Williams series and it's good but slightly kiddie oriented (as would be expected). Interesting to note that in the Golden Age of Movies when there would NEVER be a superhero in an A Film Zorro had a long history starting in 1920 with Doug Fairbanks. So the character took hold in Hollywood from the start.

The "modern" films with Anthony Hopkins were surprisingly fun. I haven't seen them in a long time, but I remember liking them.
batfan1705

Post by batfan1705 »

You might say I am a bit of a fan. Guy Williams was probably my first childhood hero. And the best!

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I think the surprise for me with Zorro is it was a movie within a year of being released as a serial book.
I have not seen the 1975 movie, I’ll have to hunt it down.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

That is a great outfit Batfan. That’s one I never put together. Did the mask go over the top of your hair, or more like a domino mask?
batfan1705

Post by batfan1705 »

Thanks for the kind words, Szabol! This costume is still a very much work in progress (still on the lookout for a seamstress that can make the proper cape)!

The mask is fairly simple, a narrow band covering the eyes and nose and tapers at the ends so that it can be tied up behind the head. It does not cover the top of the head at all. At the very start of the series, I noticed that he wore a separate cover on his head beneath the hat but I think that they stopped using it after several episodes.
floatinjoe

Post by floatinjoe »

batfan1705, your costume looks great. Were we just talking about your sword the other day in a Zorro facebook group?