GI Joe 12" figures

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

SprangFan

Re: GI Joe 12" figures

Post by SprangFan »

The "life like hair" thing is really weird, when you think about it. What was the rationale for that? Did they do a focus group with kids who said they'd be more willing to buy action figures if only they had hair that felt real?

I kind of "got" the hair on top: arguably it mimicked the bristly feel of a military crew cut. But what was the deal with the beard? Was it supposed to suggest "5 O'Clock Shadow" and just came out too thick? Or was the whole Adventure Team supposed to have just been rescued from an enemy prison camp? Or an extended stay on a desert island?

Anyway, it certainly didn't seem "regulation."
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

SprangFan wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:37 am The "life like hair" thing is really weird, when you think about it. What was the rationale for that? Did they do a focus group with kids who said they'd be more willing to buy action figures if only they had hair that felt real?

I kind of "got" the hair on top: arguably it mimicked the bristly feel of a military crew cut. But what was the deal with the beard? Was it supposed to suggest "5 O'Clock Shadow" and just came out too thick? Or was the whole Adventure Team supposed to have just been rescued from an enemy prison camp? Or an extended stay on a desert island?

Anyway, it certainly didn't seem "regulation."
The Adventure Team was not a military based group, but certainly paramilitary. In 1968, the negative feelings about war, namely Viet Nam, started sinking the sales of the military toys, so Hasbro moved away from that image with the Adventure Team. However, the Adventure Team figures were still in 35-10 (regulation) for the Navy, where neatly kept facial hair is allowed.
Music. BAT! Music.
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

John Mack wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:09 am
TBolt wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:20 am allegedly the Adventure Team is on the way back this year, it is the 50th anniversary of it so here's to hoping. I'm partial to the Adventures of line from 69, prefuzzy Joes.
Even as an 8 year old when the "life like hair" came out, I felt that getting it wet with my deep sea diver and SCUBA diver was not a good idea. As the years passed, I have seen many Joes that have hair loss and wonder if it was due to the "Eight Ropes of Death" syndrome.
I think some just saw a lot of action, I've picked up a few that were dead perfect, and resold them, I just like the painted hair better and really love the short lived bridge from soldier to adventure team most of the best gear sets originated with Adventures of in 69
To the Bat-Elephant!!
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

The Adventure Team was not a military based group, but certainly paramilitary. In 1968, the negative feelings about war, namely Viet Nam, started sinking the sales of the military toys, so Hasbro moved away from that image with the Adventure Team. However, the Adventure Team figures were still in 35-10 (regulation) for the Navy, where neatly kept facial hair is allowed
I hadnt considered the anti-War movement of the time (probably too young to notice it). That's a good point.

I guess it was the dog tags that threw me. And the "footlocker" I kept my Joe in.

To be honest I probably wouldn't have dived into the line as enthusiastically if it hadn't been for the Yetis and squids and golden idols. The AT vibe was more "Jonny Quest" than "Sgt York" and that suited me fine.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

When I got on board the Joe Movement they not only had that hair (which we thought was great) but KUNG FU GRIP! Made the bizarrely posed hands of the older Joes look silly. I'm with Sprang though-- I was a fan of Joe because he could hunt the white tiger, go up against the yeti (even though it was a tiny yeti baby) and then dig for the Mummy's Tomb! Great times!