New Batman Cover statue Sideshow

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Lou Szabo

New Batman Cover statue Sideshow

Post by Lou Szabo »

C236CA7A-F1CF-4D84-BB0A-EA8EC9673092.jpeg
https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/d ... llc-905773

Great price for a 3D cover
From DC Treasury Edition
5B4F6CF4-9D3B-4E8A-B568-A218813DED79.jpeg
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
dell

Re: New Batman Cover statue Sideshow

Post by dell »

Kinda looks like Ratman
dell
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Sculpt is soft and the colors are wrong. Shame, this is a great cover.
vintagematt

Post by vintagematt »

The odd cape placement really does not translate well into a three-dimensional sculpt...
"Batman told him a super funny joke. When the creature didn't laugh, that was proof!"
TBolt

Post by TBolt »

real whiff on that one, did not capture Aparo's style at all especially on the cape. The sculptor gave it bulk on the shoulders where it should have been skin tight.
To the Bat-Elephant!!
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

One of my favorite covers ever, but I am totally not digging that sculpt. It doesn't even look finished.

Sideshow has really fallen since the days I got their 12-inch Bond figures.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
rickkrefft

Post by rickkrefft »

This looks like junk.
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Thanks for sharing.

Sometimes these look better in hand or after they've been released. I don't think I'll pre-order, but I'll still check out an unboxing video to see it it is something I would want. I love that cover and that Batman logo.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Just noticed it's done at a tiny scale, so maybe that accounts somewhat for the crudeness of the figure. On the other hand, it makes the price outlandish.

I'm not understanding that striped base: it looks like an area rug, and Batman looks like he's standing on the door to a storm cellar. And I just noticed the tiny little "buildings" under the signals. They look like dominoes that just got toppled by the cape. There's no sense of depth at all.

On the upside, the 3D effect on that Neal Adams-designed logo looks good, and the decals of the villains are true to Aparo's originals. If you throw away the lame Batman and "rooftop" it could make a good backdrop for an action figure display. But an expensive one.

Probably the best idea would be to duplicate the effect with a color printer and cardstock paper to make your own figure backdrop. You'd have more even colors and the "sky" wouldn't have cracks in it.
"Or worse. Let's go..."
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

When that issue came out I only bought it because of the photos of 1966 Batman on the inside back cover. Or was that the other over sized issue? I think both had photos. Anyway, yeah I'm mostly not liking this sculpt. If it had been done by a child, cool...nice attempt! Professionally made, nope. Missed the mark.
Music. BAT! Music.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

There were two "tabloid" issues that featured photo galleries in the back.

The first was DC Limited Collector's Edition #25, with the famous "running" Batman by Neal Adams (a recycled splash from "The Joker's 5-Way Revenge"). That one had a feature on the inside back cover called "Batman on the Screen", with pictures of the Joker, Penguin, Catwoman and Riddler, as well as a shot of Lewis Collins in costume from the first serial.

The other was the issue this statue's based on, Limited Collector's Edition #37, with an original cover image by Aparo. The inside back cover had a feature called "Batman's Television Villains" and included two Catwomen (Julie and Meredith), Penguin, Riddler, Joker, Mr Freeze (Sanders) and the Mad Hatter.
"Or worse. Let's go..."
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

Either cover would have made a great statue. In fact, the color of Batman's costume contrasted to the dark red background on C-25 actually made a 3D effect if you stared at it long enough. For a 3D statue, they really missed the boat by avoiding the use of dark purple in the background.

For many of the reasons cited by others, the prototype does little to entice me to acquire this piece. Unfortunately, if the target audience for retro style Batman stays away, the manufacturers get the idea that this era of Batman doesn't sell and we don't see more merchandise of this style. I don't advocate blind loyalty, especially since space considerations make me more discriminating in my purchases, but it does create a no-win situation for collectors.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I just saw Enesco is the manufacturer. That explains some of the heaviness to the lines
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Poor sculpt and not at all capturing the great Aparo way of illustrating Batman's anatomy.
Beneath Wayne Manor
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

Evidently, this is one in a series of Enesco figures. Others seem to be inspired by the 80s Garcia Lopez style guides.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?S ... sco+batman