STAR TREK art commission: Movie-era Kirk by Ethen Beavers

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Mr. Comic Book

STAR TREK art commission: Movie-era Kirk by Ethen Beavers

Post by Mr. Comic Book »

A recent art commission by Ethen Beavers, an artist whose credits include Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Samurai Jack, Batman: The Animated Series, Star Wars, and even '60s-era Star Trek. He opened up for commissions earlier this year on his Instagram page, and I jumped at the chance. But being an '80s kid who grew up on the movies as much as the original series, I wanted something to represent that era of Trek. Fortunately for me, Beavers was eager to take a whack at the movie era, so this is what came out of it.

By the by, his Instagram page includes samples from his official Trek art for Golden Books, among other things.
https://www.instagram.com/cretineb/
AndyFish

Re: STAR TREK art commission: Movie-era Kirk by Ethen Beavers

Post by AndyFish »

It's a neat piece but I'm getting George Clooney rather than Shatner-- but Clooney would have been a better choice for Kirk than the Pike guy IMO.
Mr. Comic Book

Re: STAR TREK art commission: Movie-era Kirk by Ethen Beavers

Post by Mr. Comic Book »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:56 pm It's a neat piece but I'm getting George Clooney rather than Shatner-- but Clooney would have been a better choice for Kirk than the Pike guy IMO.
If they were picking up from the Motion Picture-Undiscovered Country era rather than a total reboot, I'd agree. There are a lot of gaps in that period of Kirk's life (at least 10 years between The Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan, an undefined timeframe between Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country) that could easily be filled in without disrupting the events of the existing movies. Come to think of it, an animated series would be a great way to explore those periods without the expense of rebuilding all the movie-era stuff from scratch.