Fox used 'Schmidlap' in another of its 1966 movies

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

High C

Fox used 'Schmidlap' in another of its 1966 movies

Post by High C »

I stumbled upon this the other night and wanted to share. In the 1966 Fox movie Way...Way Out, there is an astronaut character played by Howard Morris who is named Schmidlap, with only one 'p.' Per wikipedia, the movie wrapped filming on March 30, before the Bat-movie began.

Greenway, of course, pivoted to Commodore Schmidlapp after Schweppes had threatened legal action if Dozier and Fox had gone ahead with Commander Redhead, a takeoff on Commander Whitehead. It's safe to assume Dozier got the idea from this other film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way...Way_Out
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Ben Bentley

Re: Fox used 'Schmidlap' in another of its 1966 movies

Post by Ben Bentley »

Interesting tidbit, High C.

From a quick Google search, historically speaking the most intresting example that lends any relevance or potential sigificance to "our" Schmidlapp character would be Johann Schmidlapp, a German inventer who created a type of rocket that enabled fireworks to reach altitudes that were previosuly unachieveable.
Lou Szabo

Re: Fox used 'Schmidlap' in another of its 1966 movies

Post by Lou Szabo »

A good number of old series reused names from either earlier series, or other productions. Even music was recycled. Some Johnny Dollar music in the 50’s can be heard in Batman, and even ABC’s movie of the week in the 70’s. These little Easter eggs are fun to find
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!