BAT 77 Podcast - The Demon of Gothos Mansion (Batman #227)

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BAT 77

BAT 77 Podcast - The Demon of Gothos Mansion (Batman #227)

Post by BAT 77 »

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.58.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 12.58.37 AM.png (741.38 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
PUBLISHING DATE: December 1970
CREDITS: Denny O'Neil (story), Irv Novick & Dick Giordano (art), Neal Adams (cover)

In a decrepit mansion miles from civilization, the Batman attempts to rescue Alfred’s niece, Daphne, who is about to be sacrificed in a satanic ceremony to summon a demon.

SHOW LINK - http://bat77.libsyn.com/the-demon-of-go ... batman-227
BAT 77 - My '70s Batman Childhood
Subscribe to the Podcast at http://bat77.libsyn.com
Visit me on Facebook.com/bat77podcast
gothosmansion

Re: BAT 77 Podcast - The Demon of Gothos Mansion (Batman #227)

Post by gothosmansion »

When I read the letters commenting on Batman 227, I was surprised in those pre-internet, pre-history of comics collections that so many readers in 1970 had seen Detective 31.

I first read "Demon of Gothos Mansion" in the Batman's Strangest Cases treasury and never saw the iconic cover until 1989's Tales of the Batman : Fifty Years of the Dark Knight book. I already loved the story and fell in love with the cover. I went after one soon after I registered for eBay and was lucky enough to get two copies (one for my collection to read; one very nice condition one to frame) before the prices on it really exploded. While I love the cover, I think it now overshadows the actual story, which contains some of the most beautiful Irv Novick and Dick Giordano artwork I've ever seen, and I'm a huge fan of both artists.

If the story has a flaw, it is the "romance" between Batman and the ghost didn't really have time to develop. I took Batman's immediate attraction to the ghost to be a result of her "supernatural power." The story ends abruptly due to the page count. Still, I would rather the story leave me wanting more, as is the case here, than being one of those modern multi-part epics that leaves me thinking, "Is this EVER going to get over."

That said, I've loved this story since I was six and I still do. If you're a Batman fan, pick up a copy of Batman's Strangest Cases treasury. It is one of my favorite comics that I own.
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

I actually remember this story from when it was reprinted in the book "Batman: From the 1930s to the 1970s" along with "One Bullet Too Many" and I think "Man or Bat". It was just the inks - no color - so it made little impression on me. The coloring of the actual issue really helps set the mood, from the cold blues in the exterior scenes, to the almost sepia-tone of the torch lit torture chamber, to the eerie greens of the ceremony.

This story made my top four for 1970, the rest of which (along with the bottom four) will be revealed on the next episode of the podcast. Stay tuned...
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

Unfortunately, I didn't get Batman from the 30s to the 70s until the early 2000s. I never found a copy back in the 70s, but I grew up in a pretty rural area.

As to why I didn't just order one from a comic book ad...your guess is as good as mine. I didn't start getting stuff through mail order until the 1980s.
BAT 77

Post by BAT 77 »

I had the 30s to 70 book TWICE! Once in the 70s which got lost/sold by my mom with all my other Batman merchandise when I started collecting Star Wars merchandise, and another time probably sometime in the early 2000s, and I probably sold that before moving to Chicago.

My mom ordered a few of the "Amazing World of DC Comics" magazines for me back in the 70s. Lots of text and some black & white comics pages. The one thing I vividly remember from one of the issues was a photograph of a guy made up like Two-Face. It was quite scary for a 6 to 7 year old! I think it may have been the same issue where I saw for first time photos of the Bat costume from the '43 Batman movie serial.