The stained glass door I made 20 years ago

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dell

The stained glass door I made 20 years ago

Post by dell »

During a recent video bat chat I was looking at stained glass for a new door I want to make. Here is one I made 20 years ago. We moved a few years ago and it now makes sense for me to make more doors.

dell
High C

Re: The stained glass door I made 20 years ago

Post by High C »

Wow, that is tremendous work! How long did it take to do?
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
dell

Post by dell »

I kept track of the time and I estimated it was roughly 300 hours. 200 for the glass and 100 for the door.

I had never made a door before and it is seriously overengineered because of the glass. It is actually three layers of 3/4 inch pine sandwiched together. Think of an Oreo with the glass as the filling. The glass is in a frame that slides in from the top and becomes the upper half of the middle layer. Also, before the frame goes in you slide in a piece of non glare glass from the top that fits into a recess on each side to protect the stained glass. Then the frame goes in. I decided to skip the extra glass on future doors as I don't think it is needed and will make construction a lot easier. This is the first of at least four doors that I plan to make.
dell
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

WOW! That’s awesome. Looks absolutely fantastic!
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

The finished result is wonderful!
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

So cool!
Meule

Post by Meule »

Very impressive indeed
"...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe