George Reeves Superman TV Show Question

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

DrewMasie

Re: George Reeves Superman TV Show Question

Post by DrewMasie »

I watched the Adventures of Superman as a kid, and am still a fan.

One thing I liked about George Reeves version of Clark Kent was that he was a fairly serious, no-nonsense guy, who was believable as a field reporter. He was a "mild-mannered reporter for a great Metropolitan newspaper". He is a man with mid-western values as befits someone raised in Kansas.

Christopher Reeve's version of Clark is a timid, bumbling, cartoonish version, with his constant bumping into things, fainting spells, stammering, and all the rest. Someone who grew up on a farm would not be such a wuss. I get that this is part of his disguise, but it always bothered me. He seemed more "normal" as a teen.

This makes one wonder...did Kal-El view humans as weak, inept bafoons? If not, why adopt that persona?

I like Henry Cavill's version of Clark for that reason. He's a nice, capable person, and doesn't bumble around while in public. He has inner strength as Clark, and shows his outer strength as Superman, but he's fundamentally the same person.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

DrewMasie wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:23 pm I watched the Adventures of Superman as a kid, and am still a fan.

One thing I liked about George Reeves version of Clark Kent was that he was a fairly serious, no-nonsense guy, who was believable as a field reporter. He was a "mild-mannered reporter for a great Metropolitan newspaper". He is a man with mid-western values as befits someone raised in Kansas.

Christopher Reeve's version of Clark is a timid, bumbling, cartoonish version, with his constant bumping into things, fainting spells, stammering, and all the rest. Someone who grew up on a farm would not be such a wuss. I get that this is part of his disguise, but it always bothered me. He seemed more "normal" as a teen.

This makes one wonder...did Kal-El view humans as weak, inept bafoons? If not, why adopt that persona?

I like Henry Cavill's version of Clark for that reason. He's a nice, capable person, and doesn't bumble around while in public. He has inner strength as Clark, and shows his outer strength as Superman, but he's fundamentally the same person.
Drew, I TOTALLY agree with You!!!!!!!! i preferred George's version of Clark. It was much more believable than the late Christopher's version
Larry
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

SprangFan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:27 pm I was another of those young fans who used to dress in a Superman suit and save the world from his backyard. Years ago, I recounted one of those adventures on my old Superman fan site: http://davidmorefield.com/superman/edit ... azykid.htm

I was pretty surprised when the American Textile Museum in Lowell, MA asked if they could print out a poster-size version of the story for display next to a Superman costume as part of an exhibit on uniforms and costumes in pop culture.

Later on, I learned that in the 50s, there was a "girl" version of the suit, as well, though it was a few years before Supergirl would debut. I wonder how many junior Superman there were out there fighting the good fight? Hopefully there's still a few out there now, having as much fun as we did.

No THESE would be a set of costumes to bring back in adult form! I'd buy BOTH the male and female outfits!
Larry
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Yes, but we don't all have your legs, Larry.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

SprangFan wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:57 pm Yes, but we don't all have your legs, Larry.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I just want it as part of the Supersuit set :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Larry
Keith Mayo

Post by Keith Mayo »

JimmyVale wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:51 am
AndyFish wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:00 pm Not really….

…I’d say Superman was much closer in spirit to The Lone Ranger or The Green Hornet than Batman. Trivia wise, serial Batman Robert Lowery has a guest appearance on a later episode of Superman as an old friend of Clark’s. Not hard to imagine he’s Bruce Wayne in disguise.
I didn’t know Robert Lowery was on Superman!

Batman and Superman!!! Can’t beat that!

Thanks.
Don't forget his role on Circus Boy with Mickey Dolenz.
"It's the very essence of our democracy". - Batman, S1 Ep 11
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

"Circus Boy". Now there is one that we never see anywhere. Too bad about Mickey Dolenz, though. No matter what He did starting with"Circus Boy". He just can't seem to get away from ...The Monkeys :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Larry
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Larry A. wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:47 am "Circus Boy". Now there is one that we never see anywhere. Too bad about Mickey Dolenz, though. No matter what He did starting with"Circus Boy". He just can't seem to get away from ...The Monk(e)eys :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Larry