George Reeves Superman TV Show Question

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Re: George Reeves Superman TV Show Question

Post by AndyFish »

Scott Sebring wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:33 am
AndyFish wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:09 am Personally, I think an "I agree with Andy" button is all this website is missing. ;)
Sorry, I don't agree. ;) :P ;)
Never in a million years would I expect you to hit that button, Scott. ;)
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Thanks for the insights, fellas. I still can’t believe I haven’t seen the show. A few years ago, I watched The Mole Men movie, but that’s been it.

Based on what you guys have relayed, I think I’m going to get one of the color DVD seasons to see how I like the show. I’m looking forward to some “time travel” to the 1950s! I think they have DVDs of the show at Barnes & Noble.

(watching these old shows and serials is getting to me….the other night I dreamt I was assembling a ‘49 model car kit because it was a ‘Batmobile’ from the Batman and Robin serial! That has kind of inspired me to actually get a model kit and really do it!….but, I digress….)
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

I was a small kid in the early 1950s and the folks allowed me to watch Superman. I watched the Mickey Mouse Club as well. I hated the MMC but loved Superman. I even had that wonderful Ben Cooper outfit I mentioned in another thread. I too, stood in front of a fan with my outfit on with my hands on my hips per the opening credits and layed across the 3-step stool in front of a fan to "fly". I agree with Andy and Sprangfan on most all points. I don't know if You all realize this, but the 1st releases of Aurora's Superman model deliberately looked like George as did the box-art which appears to be a cross between Kurt Schaffenberger and George. I loved All the episodes. If it weren't for TAoS, I'd have lost interest in the comics and if it weren't for the Folks steering me away from Supes and toward Batman, I wouldn't be on this site today. :) And as the late George used to do at the end of the episodes ;)
Larry
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Thanks for the insights, Larry. Wow, the DVDs are a bit expensive!

I’m going to order the last two color seasons. It’s amazing to me that I’ve never seen this show on TV. No reruns ever!

That’s really strange. Batman 1966 is even a bit before my time so Superman is a total unknown to me. I look forward to eventually viewing the episodes!
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I was another of those young fans who used to dress in a Superman suit and save the world from his backyard. Years ago, I recounted one of those adventures on my old Superman fan site: http://davidmorefield.com/superman/edit ... azykid.htm

I was pretty surprised when the American Textile Museum in Lowell, MA asked if they could print out a poster-size version of the story for display next to a Superman costume as part of an exhibit on uniforms and costumes in pop culture.

Later on, I learned that in the 50s, there was a "girl" version of the suit, as well, though it was a few years before Supergirl would debut. I wonder how many junior Superman there were out there fighting the good fight? Hopefully there's still a few out there now, having as much fun as we did.

"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

JimmyVale wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:37 pm Thanks for the insights, Larry. Wow, the DVDs are a bit expensive!

I’m going to order the last two color seasons. It’s amazing to me that I’ve never seen this show on TV. No reruns ever!

That’s really strange. Batman 1966 is even a bit before my time so Superman is a total unknown to me. I look forward to eventually viewing the episodes!
Jimmy, I'm surprised that You HAVEN'T seen it in reruns. I've seen them over the years, usually on late night, off brand independent stations. Wait until You see the 1st season episode "Panic In the Sky"! WOW!!!!!!! Imho, it is one of the best, if not THE best episodes in the series!
Larry
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Just for you, Larry, here's a fun image from some years back by artist Randy Garrett, retooling the original, painted box art from the Aurora kit so that it even more closely resembles George Reeves:

Incidentally, this is linked from Jim Nolt's TAOS tribue site, "The Adventures Continue," which goes waaay back to early internet days. It's pretty quiet lately, but there are some interesting things to be found in the archives.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Thanks, Dan! I love it. In fact, once I sell off a bunch of my other model kits in a few days, I think that I'll try to find 2 Superman kits. One to buy and one to put in a box with the above cover on it! THAT will be one of two kits that I will have my wife put in my casket when I kick off! The other one? A modified Aurora Batman with an Adam West Head :lol:
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I'm surprised you haven't seen it either, when I was a kid it was on constantly and then when Nick At Nite premiered it was one of its featured shows, but I've long lost touch with what's on TV nowadays.

I hope you haven't overlooked the 1941-1943 Fleischer Bros Superman cartoons either-- THOSE are my absolute favorite version of Superman and they were the inspiration when Bruce Timm was doing the animated Batman Cartoon on Fox and the WB TV stations. Fleischer used most of the original cast from the then popular ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN Radio show-- which was actually what led to the George Reeves show, as in those early days of TV a lot of radio shows were adapted for the "new" medium.

Back to Fleischer, if you're into comic book history, both Bob Kane and Jack Kirby worked their when the Bros were doing the popular POPEYE Cartoons from the 1930s; Kane, of course would go on to co-create Batman and Kirby was instrumental in many of the Superman mythos, so much so in fact that when Bruce Timm did the Superman Animated Show, he used Kirby as the model for the Metropolis detective Dan Turpin so its a small world.

3eec1dce621065a9-600x338.png
3eec1dce621065a9-600x338.png (231.38 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

AndyFish wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:10 am Now that SprangFan is back I can basically retreat to my own personal cave, because he sums up my thoughts better than I do. Agree, George's Superman IS Superman to me. Christopher Reeve is second, and he always seemed like George's son to me.

Superman in the 50s comics was like Super-dad-- and that's how I like him, not dark and brooding as he's become, and it gets ridiculous when an actor in his 20s is cast as Superman (or Batman for that matter) because both of them are played as experienced and wise.
I completely agree Andy. As far as Lois was concerned, I liked both Phyllis and Noel. Most people don’t even remember Phillis’ take on the character, as she was only in season. People are much more familiar with Noel Neil. I believe Phyllis is the only surviving cast member from the show,
Batman65

Post by Batman65 »

JimmyVale wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:29 am Thanks for the insights, fellas. I still can’t believe I haven’t seen the show. A few years ago, I watched The Mole Men movie, but that’s been it.

Based on what you guys have relayed, I think I’m going to get one of the color DVD seasons to see how I like the show. I’m looking forward to some “time travel” to the 1950s! I think they have DVDs of the show at Barnes & Noble.

(watching these old shows and serials is getting to me….the other night I dreamt I was assembling a ‘49 model car kit because it was a ‘Batmobile’ from the Batman and Robin serial! That has kind of inspired me to actually get a model kit and really do it!….but, I digress….)
I believe H&I network still runs Superman early Saturday mornings.
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Very interesting info!

I am familiar with the 1941-1943 Fleischer Bros Superman cartoons, and they are of excellent quality!

I’m ashamed to admit I watched a LOT of lame, sorry TV as a kid in the ‘70s. Now that I think about it, I guess I ditched regular TV for HBO in the late ‘70s then abandoned it almost completely when VHS movies became available so that’s why I have’t seen George Reeves as Superman I suppose.

I intend to get some Superman DVDs soon. I’ll post a review!

Really, I just want to examine the show to see if there’s any similarities between that and Batman ‘66. I realize there probably isn’t much, but I need to investigate it!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Trust me Jimmy, there really isn't any similarities other than both are based on comic books. No Fortress of Solitude, No Supergirl or Krypto the Super dog. With a very few exceptions, the stories deal with Gangsters and the like. Now the special effects on the other hand... THOSE, Jimmy, are worth the price! Just remember, there were hundreds if not thousands of us, who, as kids, would tie a towel or put on our Superman suits, and turn on the show and lie down in front of a fan or lay across the top step of a stepstool and pretend to fly with "Superman...Strange visitor from another planet"!!!!!!!

Cheers
Larry
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

I finally watched the first few episodes of season 1 of Superman. Wow! Those stories were detective stories and would’ve made a great Batman TV show. I recognized one of the villains from Batman and Robin 1949. He played a henchman who assisted in kidnapping a little girl.

Instead of Superman flying to the rescue, Batman could’ve raced there in the Batmobile.

I can only imagine what a great serious Batman TV show that would’ve made.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

JimmyVale wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:13 pm I finally watched the first few episodes of season 1 of Superman. Wow! Those stories were detective stories and would’ve made a great Batman TV show. I recognized one of the villains from Batman and Robin 1949. He played a henchman who assisted in kidnapping a little girl.

Instead of Superman flying to the rescue, Batman could’ve raced there in the Batmobile.

I can only imagine what a great serious Batman TV show that would’ve made.
I totally agree with You, Jimmy. If there had been a serious Batman series, they would have been tremendous!
Larry