How did I keep missing these glaring errors!

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

dell

How did I keep missing these glaring errors!

Post by dell »

I originally posted this on another forum, but I'll post it here too.

This stained glass project has been on my bench for over a year. The finished panel will be roughly 24 x 36 and will be the upper part of a door. Anyway, I hurt my back last May and after 11 months and I finally felt good enough to get back to it these last few weeks. I mainly had to do the wolf and some pieces around it. I finished cutting and grinding the last 4 pieces today (the eye, nose, mouth and muzzle). I took a few photos for a friend and all of a sudden the errors in the sky and mountains which have been there for a year started screaming at me.

Here it is without any light behind it. It still has tape and dry marker notes on many of the pieces. None of it has been soldered together.

Standard small.jpg

Here it is with a 20x20 LED flat panel ceiling light behind it (2 photos cropped together so all of it is lit up). I picked what I thought would be dark glass for water and somewhat dark for the sky... apparently not. It could be the temperature of the light from the flat panel. It is what it is at this point.
With Light small.jpg
See if you can find the glaring errors. Hint: they are all in the upper half. I'll post another photo soon with the 3 errors I found.
dell
rsaffle

Re: How did I keep missing these glaring errors!

Post by rsaffle »

Looks cool and a fun project. I don't see any errors myself. I see clouds in front and behind certain mountain peaks and one that kinda looks like its going behind the moon but it all makes visual sense to me.

Thanks for sharing. I know a few things about hurt backs myself. Not fun!
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

I have a friend of mine (not close anymore) who posts various things on his FB page, that thinks the earth is flat, and that because he can see with his eyes the clouds going behind a FULL moon, he thinks the moon is not far away. I havent talked/texted/Im'ed him in a long time but people who think this do not take into consideration the reflective brightness of the full moon washing out the clouds that pass in front, so visually it looks like they are behind the moon. They never site an example they saw when the moon isn't full, like a crescent moon. You can see the cloud approach from the side, it passed in front of the white part of the moon, looks like its then behind, washed out because of the brightness, but then when is passes in front of the dark part of the crescent it's clearly back in front. Very cool project and it looks great to me no matter what the colors are!
dell

Post by dell »

I've been out all day so just reading the responses now. Here is a photo with the errors circled. I will let this sit for a few days and then work on the issues. Good point A. Pennyworth on the moon washing out the clouds. Hmmm... I may leave that one alone as that is the one that I don't have an easy fix for.
Standard small errors.jpg
dell
rsaffle

Post by rsaffle »

I would leave them all alone. I've been in mountains that seemed to touch the clouds.
*See more 3D printed props @ https://www.instagram.com/saffledesigns/
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

rsaffle wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:34 pm I would leave them all alone. I've been in mountains that seemed to touch the clouds.
I've driven through low clouds that passed through mountains. The moon on the other hand...
dell

Post by dell »

I fixed the two on the left today and decided to leave the cloud touching the moon. Those pieces fit together great and I don't want to cut into the moon or rework the clouds/sky. It will be a good reminder to pay attention on future projects.
dell
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

here is a crescent moon and notice that cloud in the upper right, IF that was a full moon, the cloud moving right to left would look like it was BEHIND the moon as it passed in front of the bright moon. The cloud (in front of the moon) would not be able to be seen until it moved past the moon's left side back into darker sky. So yes, with a full moon you can see what looks like clouds behind it.
Attachments
cloudmoon.jpg
TP-6597

Post by TP-6597 »

I think it looks fantastic just as it is. It's not photo documentation for a scientific study. It's art and a damn nice bit of it. I'd hang it proudly.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
dell

Post by dell »

I fixed several of the issues that bothered me and soldered it together. Now all I need to do is frame it and build the door it will go into.
Finish 2.jpg
dell
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

That looks great!