1939 Bat Belt Fabric

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Larry A.

1939 Bat Belt Fabric

Post by Larry A. »

Hi all,
I just ran across some interesting fabric that just might match some ideas mentioned here by fellow 39-43 Serial fans. It is a "peanut colored vinyl" that might just work for the Belt. I'm basing this on the discussion on this sight about the "realism" needed in the suit as opposed to using yellow for the belt.

I guess what it comes down to this: We can make our outfits match what they were in the comics, OR we can make them look like they would if they were "Real" as opposed to "Reel"!

What do You Serial Fans think?

Cheers!
Larry
maniac cop 5

Re: 1939 Bat Belt Fabric

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Larry A. wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:38 pm Hi all,
I just ran across some interesting fabric that just might match some ideas mentioned here by fellow 39-43 Serial fans. It is a "peanut colored vinyl" that might just work for the Belt. I'm basing this on the discussion on this sight about the "realism" needed in the suit as opposed to using yellow for the belt.

I guess what it comes down to this: We can make our outfits match what they were in the comics, OR we can make them look like they would if they were "Real" as opposed to "Reel"!

Cheers!
For me personally, i don't mind some "interpretation" of a comics outfit since it's a 4 color 2D image being translated into a full color 3D outfit. When replicating a screen used item though, i want it as close to the source material as possible, no matter how impractical.

Chuck and Lynn have really been the "go to" people when it comes to this stuff. I looked quite a bit at materials but never found anything as good as what they used to make my gold 43 serial belt. And the handmade brass buckle Chuck crafted is perfect and wont be found anywhere else.

I know their pieces aren't exactly cheap but the cost was worth it to me for the quality. But Larry, being retired and on a pension myself i certainly understand the desire to do it yourself. Chuck and Lynn have always been very nice about sharing their materials and technique info with others. Perhaps you could contact them to help get you on the right path. Just a thought. Good luck!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

maniac cop 5 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:43 pm
Larry A. wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:38 pm Hi all,

Cheers!
For me personally, i don't mind some "interpretation" of a comics outfit since it's a 4 color 2D image being translated into a full color 3D outfit. When replicating a screen used item though, i want it as close to the source material as possible, no matter how impractical.

Chuck and Lynn have really been the "go to" people when it comes to this stuff. I looked quite a bit at materials but never found anything as good as what they used to make my gold 43 serial belt. And the handmade brass buckle Chuck crafted is perfect and wont be found anywhere else.

I know their pieces aren't exactly cheap but the cost was worth it to me for the quality. But Larry, being retired and on a pension myself i certainly understand the desire to do it yourself. Chuck and Lynn have always been very nice about sharing their materials and technique info with others. Perhaps you could contact them to help get you on the right path. Just a thought. Good luck!
Yep, that they are! Their prices aren't a problem. I was looking at the standpoint of "WHAT IF", what would Bruce Wayne have done. Thanks for Your input, my Friend.
Cheers!
Larry
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

maniac cop 5 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:43 pm
How about a picture of that cool belt buckle and said belt.

I've picked up a degraded Batman belt, the only thing left worth saving are the Brass buckle and the Brass capsules. I'm almost considering a military type belt and sewing these items in place. Perhaps leather, but I won't make it bright yellow, but more of that peanut color Larry mentioned. Almost Natural leather.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yes, I second a pic of the belt!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

AndyFish wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:06 am
Yes, I second a pic of the belt!
AMEN AND amen, Andy!!!!
Larry
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Here you go.
Attachments
20190218_164835_resized_1.jpg
20210126_143356_resized.jpg
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Now that costume is pretty spectacular. The 1943 and 1949 cowls usually look like they have devil horns, but this really looks good. I have a similar idea for the belt, and I’m using the first DC Utility Belt as the base. It also has the square buckle and gold tone belt, but the belts are disintegrating after some 10 years. Congrats on a fine addition to your collection.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Now THAT is definitely worth the money, imho!!!!!!!!!
Larry
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

WOW- I love it! No shock there, Chuck and Lynne are masters. Congrats!
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Thanks guys. Where Lynne came up with gold metallic leather is beyond me. They are magicians.

Lou, i had looked at that DC belt buckle myself at one time. I think thats a great choice to start with. Oh, and Lynne uses a filler in the cowl ears to make them hold their shape.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Hey Fellow Serial Fans!
For the Gold Leather Bat Belt, check out www.TanneryNYC.com. The leather looks great and the price isn't bad!

Cheers!
Larry