Modern Comics Worth Checking Out....

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Modern Comics Worth Checking Out....

Post by AndyFish »

As a full time professional comic book creator I am always disheartened to see or hear folks say they've completely given up on comics; BUT I can understand the sentiment-- I stopped reading mainstream superhero comics probably in 1990 and I've occasionally dabbled back in when a new creative team comes along that shows promise-- a couple of years ago Batman got a new writer who was a friend of a friend and had an impressive resume, so I gave it a shot but it wasn't for me. I think the problem really is I outgrew superheroes and I don't like over-rendered over muscled characters. But that doesn't mean there aren't some good series out there, so here I'm going to point out a few that are worth checking out.

I'll get my own plug out of the way, my creator owned series with my wife Veronica is getting the hardcover/slipcase treatment just in time for Halloween. From Dark Horse Comics comes BLACKWOOD Vols 1 and 2-- the series is set at a college for unique individuals (think Scooby Doo meets The Sixth Sense)

BLACKWOOD HARDCOVER

Veronica and I also did a fun revamp of Sabrina the Teenage Witch with writer Kelly Thompson, I was a fan of this character when I was a kid so when it was offered to us I jumped at the chance. We wanted to do a series that was closer in spirit to the old comics and the old TV show vs the very dark modern TV show that was recently on.

SABRINA TPB

All right enough with the biased recommendations,

Also recently published for superhero fans was Daniel Warren Johnson's BETA RAY BILL series-- Dan's got an amazing art style loaded with energy and a terrific story to boot! I was never into Thor but when Walter Simonson replaced him with Bill in the 80s that was my favorite run of the character-- Dan pays homage to that. BETA RAY BILL TPB. Here's a peek at Dan's art...
DAN BILL.jpg
SILVER SURFER BLACK. Trade Moore's art is trippy and wild and not for everyone but I really dig it. The story is cosmic but it's the art that sells it for me. NOTE- There are Two different editions for this-- the regular trade paperback and a Treasury Edition which was published large at 11x17 size so you can REALLY see the art.

HELLBOY THE CORPSE AND THE IRON SHOES - Hellboy is a fun series but it's impossible to know where to jump in. I like BPRD even better, but this is my favorite Hellboy story of all time. I didn't have much use for the movies I saw but the book is good.

BATMAN URBAN LEGENDS #21. This one's a pre-order. There are approximately 1,456,078 Batman comics released each month-- this one looks promising. I like Mike Cho's art and he's given the chance to write this time-- I don't know anything about the Urban Legends title but I'm gonna guess it's like the old Legends of the Dark Knight which gave different creators a shot at Batman.
CHO BATMAN.jpg
Mike's got a clean cartoony style that is reminiscent of the great Darwyn Cooke. I'm going to give the issue a shot.

For comics I buy all of mine either at TFAW.com or MIDTOWNCOMICS.com both of whom offer great service world-wide. I also read a lot of digital comics through the Kindle/Comixology app on a tablet.

Giving up on comics because you didn't like Frank Miller's Dark Knight is like giving up on music because you didn't like THE BEASTIE BOYS latest album. You're missing out on a lot of good stuff. End of PSA.