Filmation Remaster Coming

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

TP-6597

THE ADVENTURES OF BATMAN (Filmation) is getting a home release.

Post by TP-6597 »

https://13thdimension.com/1968s-filmati ... e-in-2023/

I'll be getting this for sure. Digital on HBO Max would be nice too. That's usually how I watch Batman: The Animated Series.
“What's important is that the world know that all visitors to these teeming shores are safe, be they peasant or king.”
Lou Szabo

Re: THE ADVENTURES OF BATMAN (Filmation) is getting a home release.

Post by Lou Szabo »

Nice!
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

On these cartoons the remastering technique is not improving anything from a solid DVD transfer- it's not the same as film which has depth. I'd be curious to see a side by side comparison. So is this the version with Sweet Tooth? They are virtually the same cartoons as the one with Bat-Mite eleven or so years later, but with Adam and Burt-- I think I prefer the '67 version.
BATWINGED HORNET

Re: Filmation Remaster Coming

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Looking forward to this release.
Beneath Wayne Manor
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

***Admin Edit: I have merged both threads on this topic and moved it into Off Topic. BB. ***
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

AndyFish wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:21 am On these cartoons the remastering technique is not improving anything from a solid DVD transfer- it's not the same as film which has depth.
What source are you going by that this is what they are doing? These animations were done in the 60s and shot to film. Who said they are just up-rezzing or transferring a DVD ready source? Just looking for clarity to the claim. Non aliased cartoon art shown at 1080p still looks better, crisper and refined than NTSC DVDs unless the original animation source was created straight into a lower video resolution like much animation in the 90s. Lower source, lower quality. The 66 series for example was scanned at 4k from film but only released in 1080p Blu-ray. If the said print becomes available in 4k I hope one understands the prior work was done.
In a nutshell. Depending on what they are doing on their end for scanning, transferring, encoding and possible clean up of this animated series, I think it will look better than the initial DVD release. Johnny Quest certainly does.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Scott you technical guys... I'm just going by my eyeballs-- decidedly not the greatest source mind you.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

For my money, the only difference I've noticed whenever I look at side-by-side comparisons of cartoon originals and blu-ray reissues (any search engine will do) is that the blu-ray version is brighter and the colors a little richer. I never see anything more than that because, as Andy stated, cartoons are basically not deeper depth than live-action so I can't justify (for myself) purchasing repeat sets. Just my 4 cents (severe inflationary times, y'know).
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Thanks for putting it much better than I could Yellow Oval! Exactly what I was trying to say.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

The other thing I notice in general with cartoons is that the lines are sharper. But you need the TV to illustrate it. With a 4K TV, you can see the difference.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Amazon has the DVD's pretty cheap. Aquaman is $5. Superman and Batman are under 15, and Superman has seasons 2/3 as one set for under 15.

These are DVD
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I think I need 4K glasses.