Corgi Aston Martin DB5 007 car

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Lou Szabo

Corgi Aston Martin DB5 007 car

Post by Lou Szabo »

Corgi is releasing some of their classics. The sent me a Welcome10 10% discount for Black Friday.

https://corgimodelclubusa.com/collectio ... rtin-d-b-6

Arguably the most famous Corgi Toy ever produced, this feature packed model was rush-released just in time for 1965’s festive season. In only seven weeks Corgi sold three-quarters of a million of this marvellous model, causing stocks to completely run out by Christmas Day. Despite this huge number (it went on to sell just under four million!), fully-working mint condition examples in their original boxes are extremely rare and valuable today.
8DF2F453-C980-4FAD-B189-1F7EFF179487.jpeg
8F564A32-9E0B-4DB1-A99E-A91A5F45AF83.jpeg
As to why the model was painted gold – unlike Bond’s silver DB5 in the movies – the story goes that Corgi bosses were concerned that the silver painted factory samples they were shown looked too much like 'base metal'. Any production delay would have meant the model not being in the shops in time for Christmas, so the quick decision was made to paint it in gold. The thinking was that gold would make the DB5 look more ‘special’ as a toy – a thought process no doubt influenced by the previous year's Bond movie, Goldfinger!

A silver version, Corgi 270, was eventually released in 1968, which coincided with the original gold Corgi 261 being deleted. It hasn't been faithfully replicated until now, making our Corgi Model Club edition something very special, especially as it comes in a perfect facsimile of the original box and packaging, complete with the much sought after ‘secret instructions’, a 007 lapel sticker and that all-important spare ‘baddie’!

Size: Length: 102mm Width: 35mm Height: 28mm (40mm with open roof)

Scale: 1:46

and related James Bond Indicia. © 1962-2022 Danjaq, LLC and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. and related James Bond Trademarks are trademarks of Danjaq, LLC. 2022 © EON Productions Ltd and Danjaq, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
, the Aston Martin Wings logo and the model name “DB5” are trademarks owned, licensed or used by Aston Martin Lagonda Limited. All rights reserved.
All our Corgi Toys replicas are authentic and faithful to the originals and come with their own numbered certificate of authenticity.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Ben Bentley

Re: Corgi Aston Martin DB5 007 car

Post by Ben Bentley »

Very cool! I had the silver version (a later issue of some sort) as a kid and was always confused in one of my Bond encyclopaedia books when I saw the original gold version as I I knew the car on screen was silver.
BatToys

Post by BatToys »

I have this Corgi Club Aston Martin. Corgi Club are avid fans and they put more effort into it. It's very high quality. I really look forward to their Batmobile.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Frank, keep hounding them for more classics! You are the Toy Whisperer...
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Frank did you get yours yet? Mine has not shipped yet. Just curious
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

it arrived today. No tracking number, but it just showed up!
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Slightly better price, plus other Bond Corgi variants here

https://www.diecastdirect.com/product/1 ... ave-Missed
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Always loved the Gold car.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Thanks for the link, Lou-- ordered a gold DB5-- that's a much better price than anywhere else I've seen. For anyone else ordering, when you put in your CC make sure you leave a space between each set of four digits, took me about six tries.

It's also a big rabbit hole, they had the Wally Wingert car (you guys know he drives a Starsky and Hutch Gran Torino right?), the Japanese Spider-Man car which goes for about $150 on eBay and a whole bunch of other great items. Fun site.