Did anybody ever attend a grand opening of Toys "R" Us and met the superheroes?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BatmiteReturns

Did anybody ever attend a grand opening of Toys "R" Us and met the superheroes?

Post by BatmiteReturns »

My family took me to this when I was 12 and it had Batman, Robin, Spider-Man, etc. all in live action for us to meet.

I Have searched high and low for photos Of people in attendance but to no avail. My dad took photos but that was years ago and don't know what ever happened.

Thanks
maniac cop 5

Re: Did anybody ever attend a grand opening of Toys "R" Us and met the superheroes?

Post by maniac cop 5 »

My first wife's younger brothers were twins and got hired to do the one here as a Kenner Super Powers tie in. They were both blonde nice looking guys. One actually moved out to LA and did some small parts in movies later. I saw some photos of them as the Flash and i think, Aquaman. I remember also seeing another guy in the photos dressed as Hawkman and was quite impressed with the outfit they provided him. This was back in the early to mid 80s.
AndyFish

Re: Did anybody ever attend a grand opening of Toys "R" Us and met the superheroes?

Post by AndyFish »

Yup, met Spider-Man and The Hulk. I think Thor might have been there too, but Spidey and Hulk were TV Stars so they got the crowds while Thor pretty much did crowd control. The Spider-Man costume was the official one Marvel used to send around-- really high quality-- many many years later when I was running a small chain of supermarkets I called them up to hire "Spider-Man" for a grand opening and they revealed to me you rent the suit from them and find an actor.

The Hulk was the big foam guy-- also a pro-Marvel suit-- but it looked ridiculous, especially to a cynical 12 year old. I have no photos but I've seen a lot of them on the web, check the Mego Museum website-- I think there are some there. It would make sense that Mego sponsored the superhero appearances because they were the premiere superhero toy maker of the late 70s early 80s.
BatmiteReturns

Post by BatmiteReturns »

AndyFish wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:07 am Yup, met Spider-Man and The Hulk. I think Thor might have been there too, but Spidey and Hulk were TV Stars so they got the crowds while Thor pretty much did crowd control. The Spider-Man costume was the official one Marvel used to send around-- really high quality-- many many years later when I was running a small chain of supermarkets I called them up to hire "Spider-Man" for a grand opening and they revealed to me you rent the suit from them and find an actor.

The Hulk was the big foam guy-- also a pro-Marvel suit-- but it looked ridiculous, especially to a cynical 12 year old. I have no photos but I've seen a lot of them on the web, check the Mego Museum website-- I think there are some there. It would make sense that Mego sponsored the superhero appearances because they were the premiere superhero toy maker of the late 70s early 80s.
That's right, the Hulk was a giant foam guy and he had to take a break every 10 minutes. I want to say there was Batman, Robin And Batgirl in addition to Spider-Man And Thor. And of course Jeffrey giraffe
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Brian Heiler (aka "Brick Mantooth") has a whole photo gallery devoted to "Superhero Mall Appearances" over at the (wonderful) "Plaid Stallions" website. Enjoy:
https://www.plaidstallions.com/marvel/marvel.html
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

SprangFan wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:46 am Brian Heiler (aka "Brick Mantooth") has a whole photo gallery devoted to "Superhero Mall Appearances" over at the (wonderful) "Plaid Stallions" website. Enjoy:
Wow! Great site. Love it.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I just realized the "Home" link is nonfunctional on that page. Brian is slowly relocating to a new site, so if you're interested in exploring it in more depth, this is where to start, these days: https://plaidstallions.com/reboot/
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

SprangFan wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:46 am Brian Heiler (aka "Brick Mantooth") has a whole photo gallery devoted to "Superhero Mall Appearances" over at the (wonderful) "Plaid Stallions" website. Enjoy:
Thank you for sharing that site, incredibly cool!
Jimmy L. 66

Post by Jimmy L. 66 »

My dad loaded up the car with my brother and I to head down to the local Toys R Us to meet Adam and Burt. We pulled into the parking lot, my dad took one look at the line to get in. " I'm not waiting in that line." And we left. I was heartbroken. To this day I ( jokingly) refer to this as the only time my father let me down. This would have been around 1972, 73 in Southgate MI( south east suburb of Detroit) I have never been able to find any news listings but I remember it vividly.
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Jimmy, this is a very sad story.
If I had a time machine I would offer to wait in line with you.
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

FYI: They spelled his name "Geoffrey".

Cheers
Larry