1/6 scale Bronze Age Batman by ArtFX

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Lou Szabo

1/6 scale Bronze Age Batman by ArtFX

Post by Lou Szabo »

https://media.entertainmentearth.com/as ... 30d0lg.jpg

DC Comics Batman The Bronze Age ARTFX Statue:

Bronze Age Batman in a photo-realistic style!
The Caped Crusader is inside the Batcave, readying for action.
Sculpted in impressive 1:6 scale - 12-inches tall.
The base features Batman's chest logo that attaches to the statue with magnets.
The period from the 1970s to the second half of the 1980s was an important turning point in the history of American comics. Known as the Bronze Age, this era saw numerous superhero comics courageously shed light on the social issues of the period and its darker sides. This incredible DC Comics Batman The Bronze Age ARTFX Statue is based on a legendary artist's reinterpretation of Batman at that time in a photo-realistic style for a new generation of comic and Batman fans and is sculpted in the impressive size of 1:6 scale - 12-inches tall. This original scene captures the Caped Crusader inside the Batcave before going into action, a pose worthy of a commemorative statue to celebrate his important message and legacy. The base features a metal plate decorated with Batman's chest logo that the statue attaches to with embedded magnets. If you're a fan of the Dark Knight (and who isn/t?). you should order this while you have the chance.

Looks like Chuck's cowl.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
BATWINGED HORNET

Re: 1/6 scale Bronze Age Batman by ArtFX

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Sheesh. The mouth / chin is rather unappealing, and considering the period this is supposed to represent, I'm not seeing--above all others-- Adams, Novick, Aparo, et al., in that face. The ears look like cues were taken from the horrible Burton Batman mask.

While different artists were not always on the same page about the size of the emblem, it seems way too oversized.
Beneath Wayne Manor
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

I agree I'm not getting an Adams/Aparo/Novick vibe from this, but based on the color scheme and the ear length I guess it qualifies as a generic "Bronze Age" look. And yeah, the emblem is too big for the era.

Another thing this points out is how poorly detailed musculature translates from the printed page to three dimensions. Especially from the Bronze Age on, there's been a tendency to sharply delineate every muscle, sinew and tendon on a superhero's body despite the fact that ANY fabric known to mankind -- even spandex -- would hide those details when worn. Superheroes often look like their "costumes" are spray-painted on...which may be why I'm in the "please don't get rid of the trunks" camp. :lol: We accept it in comics (like word balloons and ben day dots), but "brought to life" it's just weird.

I'm trying to think of artist that *did* such a narrow, pointy jawline for Batman and the best I can manage is...Trevor VonEeden?

I guess that tight-lipped expression is supposed to show "grim determination." I'm getting more of a "Church Lady" smirk of superiority.

But hey, I've seen worse. Way worse.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

SprangFan wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:25 pm I agree I'm not getting an Adams/Aparo/Novick vibe from this, but based on the color scheme and the ear length I guess it qualifies as a generic "Bronze Age" look. And yeah, the emblem is too big for the era.

Another thing this points out is how poorly detailed musculature translates from the printed page to three dimensions. Especially from the Bronze Age on, there's been a tendency to sharply delineate every muscle, sinew and tendon on a superhero's body despite the fact that ANY fabric known to mankind -- even spandex -- would hide those details when worn. Superheroes often look like their "costumes" are spray-painted on...which may be why I'm in the "please don't get rid of the trunks" camp. :lol: We accept it in comics (like word balloons and ben day dots), but "brought to life" it's just weird.

I'm trying to think of artist that *did* such a narrow, pointy jawline for Batman and the best I can manage is...Trevor VonEeden?

I guess that tight-lipped expression is supposed to show "grim determination." I'm getting more of a "Church Lady" smirk of superiority.

But hey, I've seen worse. Way worse.
Your comment that "Superheroes often look like their "costumes" are spraypainted on" reminded me of one of the first Windy-Cons that I attended. There was a nice guy who was built like Supes and had spraypainted his Superman out fit on himself. He wore Boots, a "cup" and his cape. He told me and my friend that He had had to use Nair to remove all of his body hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Larry
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I've seen spray painted accents on Cosplay costumes for a number of years now - accenting the abs, arms, legs.

ImageImage
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Lou Szabo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:02 pm I've seen spray painted accents on Cosplay costumes for a number of years now - accenting the abs, arms, legs.

ImageImage
I've seen it too, Lou, but this guy REALLY came close to showing it all!
Larry
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Spray-painted abs, pecs, etc are kind of fun in cosplay, but even then I have to take it as "Look, I came as a walking drawing" and not "Look, I'm Batman." Believing Bruce Wayne would choose to dress as a bat is a leap I'm willing to take, but the idea that he'd spend hours drawing muscles on his tights? Not so much.

Comic book drawings are obviously granted a lot of latitude. Even Neal Adams, King of "photorealism" tended to draw the eyebrows on the cowl changing shape to reflect anger, shock, grief, etc.
"Or worse. Let's go..."
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

It's an interesting piece and while I do see some of Trevor in the face (he's one of my favorite Batman artists of all time) he never drew Batman as bloated as so many artists do today-- in fact in the Bronze Age I can't think of any artist that drew him that way. Aparo, Adams, Newton, Novick, they all drew him built like Bruce Lee which is always how I've seen the character.

The overly muscled look ain't for me-- and I'm with hornet the cowl is way to reminiscent of the awful Burton Cowl.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I think the cowl and cape were one in those Bronze Age comics. So they did capture the single unit, and while there is a resemblance to the Keaton cowl, I still like Chuck’s interpretation which they also seem to capture.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

There's something unusual going on at the neck, there. It almost looks like it's a true "cowl" in the monk sense, with a drape at both sides of the neck so the upper part can be swept back over the forehead. Which I guess would be consistent with how we saw Bruce wear it in the Bronze Age (it hung, collapsed, behind his head like the hood on a sweatshirt until he pulled it over his face, when it magically took on the kind of smooth, rigid look only an inner shell would provide). But if that's how it works, what's the blue area over the front of the neck, inside of those folds? Is he wearing some kind of neck stock that goes up to his jawline?
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Or it may be that the head is a separate piece
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

Why doesn't someone just contact the artist and ask???????
Larry
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

I just don't get the action of the piece in general.
Not a moment that feels "Must Have" or "Must See".

The proportions are nice but from a sculpture standpoint he is "flayed" .
No bloody skin on the guy. Just over worked, pumped, muscle tissue.

The odd expression and lack of detail in the face is only showcased by the overworked body.
They could have dialed back the airbrush contrast paint a lot since the sculpture is so modeled.

my 2 cents...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

The eye of the artist versus us commoners.