1st On Screen Hardtop Batmobile!

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Lou Szabo

Re: 1st On Screen Hardtop Batmobile!

Post by Lou Szabo »

Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

All good except - they all seem to be 2 door vehicles.

I’m gonna have to combine 2 different kits. That is if I can even find a 4 door model that’s close.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

These are 4 door sedans. 2 door versions are very different. The suicide doors are deceptive. They also made a delivery wagon and pickup version.
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Lou Szabo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:13 pm These are 4 door sedans. 2 door versions are very different. The suicide doors are deceptive. They also made a delivery wagon and pickup version.
YOU! 🫵🏻Are RIGHT!!! 👍🏻

It’s a 4 door!!!! Ok….someday, I’ll get around to building that!!!! Thanks!!

And - another bit of trivia….I think the 2 door version is Batman’s red car from DC#27. I’ve also read the inspiration was a Lincoln Zephyr or a Cord. I consider this one to be a Batmobile!!!
0298F68F-6B0F-42FF-957F-684F4420AE8E.png
A1CFA15F-1FF4-4745-9CCD-CF39816371F4.png
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Ok - once the relatives visiting over Easter are gone next week, I hope to immerse myself into the world of Batman modeling!

I ordered a Ford 39-40 Sedan model kit from eBay!
5251AFFC-48B6-4AC5-970E-4D9B0ABFB8F4.png
I noticed that this one is a two door version (no suicide doors after all). I don’t care. It’s as close as I can get. I gotta recreate this very cool scene in the photo below - (One last time for your viewing pleasure):

And I really really regret not getting autographed photos from Mr. Johnny Duncan aka “Batman’s pal” when he had his original Robin website up. I emailed him probably 10 years ago and he responded!!! I was rewatching “The Caine Mutiny” the other night and I saw him on the screen! I’d forgotten he had a small part in the movie! R.I.P. Mr. Duncan.
Attachments
C6B5DD09-DB44-4219-8634-6942F0412F2E.png
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Wow - to my surprise, the site is still up. I love that serial even though Batman’s costume was unbelievably bad.

This movie serial needs a model diorama and I’m going to build one!!!
Attachments
23256C8F-09AD-4FD9-97B1-31AE2E575309.png
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

The best thing about the model you bought is that you can add a bat mask and rear fin turning it into the 1948 Batmobile. It’s perfect for that too!
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Lou Szabo wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:27 am The best thing about the model you bought is that you can add a bat mask and rear fin turning it into the 1948 Batmobile. It’s perfect for that too!
Yes, that’d be very easy. It’s begging for a bat fin and I have the sheet styrene to make it. I recall Bob Kane’s wife stating in an interview that Bob was disappointed in the plain ordinary cars used in the serials. I think she said he wondered why they did’nt at least use a black Cadillac for a Batmobile…..that is, assuming I’m remembering this correctly.

I think I’m going to build it stock, semi gloss, then reevaluate.

I took a retirement job and it’s consuming my free time but I look forward to these builds.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

I can find 1/43 diecast versions (USA models), but they are usually overseas and expensive!

https://www.rmtoys.co.uk/products/usa-m ... allic-blue
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

BiffPow wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:53 pm I can find 1/43 diecast versions (USA models), but they are usually overseas and expensive!

https://www.rmtoys.co.uk/products/usa-m ... allic-blue
WOW! That’s a perfect replica of the car from the serial!!! It’s way too expensive, however. I’m an eccentric but I’m not insane, LOL!!!! I’m really looking forward to gluing, painting, all that modeling stuff so even if they had a 1:25 die cast version of the car, I’d still rather have a kit.

Nonetheless, that’s very cool, thank you!! I love this forum!!
Attachments
B65FF454-A847-4D0E-ADF8-C8B4E762663A.png
74BF2ED5-0831-4E8F-BD4A-C8CC3A04833D.png
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

JimmyVale wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:16 pm Wow - to my surprise, the site is still up. I love that serial even though Batman’s costume was unbelievably bad.

Jim, the story that I heard was that the suit was actually designed for Kirk Allyn who turned it down so as NOT to be typecast. As a result , the cheapo "Powers that Be" refused to pay to resew the cown and leotard to fit the new actor.
I hope this helps!

How about a tutorial with pictures on how You make it, please?
Larry
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Larry A. wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:51 pm
JimmyVale wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:16 pm Wow - to my surprise, the site is still up. I love that serial even though Batman’s costume was unbelievably bad.

Jim, the story that I heard was that the suit was actually designed for Kirk Allyn who turned it down so as NOT to be typecast. As a result , the cheapo "Powers that Be" refused to pay to resew the cown and leotard to fit the new actor.
I hope this helps!

How about a tutorial with pictures on how You make it, please?
You bet! It might take a while. I retired almost 2 years ago and took a “retirement job” for fun and some extra cash. Great idea…except it’s consuming all my time and energy.

What I want to build, eventually, is a simple Batman ‘49 diorama featuring the “Batmobile”. I will take photos of the build and make them into a slideshow. I’m also about to start on the Aurora Batman kit so it’s gonna take this old man some time…
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

https://youtu.be/hNWL7a1UyfY

Important news regarding the 1st hardtop Batmobile.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

JimmyVale wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:37 pm https://youtu.be/hNWL7a1UyfY

Those old videos are fun to watch. I showed my son the clip they used for Frisch’s Big Boy restaurants as a training video for hiring new servers/waitresses back in the 1950s. So different from today.
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

BiffPow wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:08 pm
JimmyVale wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:37 pm https://youtu.be/hNWL7a1UyfY

Those old videos are fun to watch. I showed my son the clip they used for Frisch’s Big Boy restaurants as a training video for hiring new servers/waitresses back in the 1950s. So different from today.
Yes! Exactly! It’s almost like traveling back in time. I think that’s why I’m obsessed with the black and white Batman serials, the old cars they used, the planes the old radios - even the stuff they had on their desks. It just doesn’t exist anymore.