1st On Screen Hardtop Batmobile!

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BiffPow

Re: 1st On Screen Hardtop Batmobile!

Post by BiffPow »

JimmyVale wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:41 pm
BiffPow wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:08 pm
JimmyVale wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:37 pm https://youtu.be/hNWL7a1UyfY

Important news regarding the 1st hardtop Batmobile.
Those old videos are fun to watch. I showed my son the clip they used for Frisch’s Big Boy restaurants as a training video for hiring new servers/waitresses back in the 1950s. So different from today.
Yes! Exactly! It’s almost like traveling back in time. I think that’s why I’m obsessed with the black and white Batman serials, the old cars they used, the planes the old radios - even the stuff they had on their desks. It just doesn’t exist anymore.

It is the same with the Green Hornet serials, as well. If you haven’t watched, there’s some interesting office décor in the second serial.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

For anyone interested, here is a photo of the 1940 Ford price list. Now, they want $332.00 for a diecast model!
Attachments
68F419F4-EE03-4CB9-BE8F-90886A1DF358.jpeg
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

BiffPow wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:21 pm For anyone interested, here is a photo of the 1940 Ford price list. Now, they want $332.00 for a diecast model!
I have become infatuated with the 1939 - 1949 era Fords. It’s an obsession. I’ve even had bad thoughts about buying one. For now, I’ll be satisfied with a 1/25 scale plastic version of it. Here’s tonight’s progress:

I can’t finish because I just realized I don’t have enough of the correct paint!!!!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

That’s some skillful work!
Larry A.

Post by Larry A. »

WOW!!!!!! Those are some nice ENGINES!!!!!!!!!
Larry
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Larry A. wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:19 pm WOW!!!!!! Those are some nice ENGINES!!!!!!!!!
You guys are very kind. I am a novice modeler, making lots of mistakes but I want this car! :D

I noticed in every old photo or film clip that these cars don’t shine. I think they came from the factory with dull paint, so I’m going to make this one semi-gloss. The paint did not come out as I would’ve liked. Every model I build has some flaw…

Would it look better glossy? Yes. But, I’m going for Batman 1949 screen accurate! I don’t know how I’m going to handle the chrome strips. More to come.

BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Really like the color. What color is that? Can you share the paint color and brand?
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

BiffPow wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:46 am Really like the color. What color is that? Can you share the paint color and brand?
Tamiya TS-29 Semi Gloss Black. Some of those pics look grey but it’s the lighting. It’s a little more flat than I’d intended. I’m not going for ultra shiny but not totally flat either. This is where an airbrush would come in handy.

Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

For chrome edging, the pros use a foil wrap…
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

Lou Szabo wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:22 am For chrome edging, the pros use a foil wrap…
https://youtu.be/NgIlG8qJBdg

Yes! I’ve seen that and have watched the foils used on models tutorials but have never actually done it. I am somewhat dreading it for fear of messing the whole project up.
JimmyVale

Post by JimmyVale »

I am having a tough time getting this thing finished!!!! This brings back memories of being a kid and rushing putting model kits together.

Hah, I remember either rushing it to get it done or abandoning it completely. I have not changed that much.

And…I believe these shots with the stuntmen and (then) 10 year old car may have been made before the serial went into full production.

It also looks like Ford donated a bunch of new cars to this serial. There are some old Fords like this one and one that the Wizard’s gang used and a bunch of 1949 Mercuries (The Wizard and Neil rode in a hardtop) and 1949 Ford Sedans (Gotham City PD) which were BRAND NEW at the time!

Hopefully, I can get this model finished soon. The high res camera and black paint highlight every dust speck!!! I’m going to have to do some cleanup and detailing. Even the Batman figure (he’s a game piece I think) might need a touch up or full repaint.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Looks great as it is! I didn’t have patience for car models either, but did have more patience for figure models, probably because the parts were larger and fewer. No putty back then for 10 year olds LOL
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

Thanks for the tip on the paint! I really like it. And, yes, it looks like the car paint jobs in the movie serial.

Totally off the subject of the model, there’s one scene near the end of the serial where the inventor (and one-time Wizard suspect), Prof. Hammil, strolls into the same room as Batman, Robin and Commissioner Gordon and NOBODY notices or says anything about the fact that he’s out of his wheelchair. Did anyone else find that bizarre? I know that, in private, he uses some rejuvenation “throne” to help him stand and walk, but no one else knows that and he is known by everyone as an invalid bound to a wheelchair. The fact that he is wheelchair-bound is even used to discredit the notion that he is the Wizard.
Attachments
51765D9E-FE77-43BD-AEF7-28BC3BA5F14D.jpeg
993FE857-D04E-4CFB-9930-003EE7ACC26C.jpeg
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I don't think continuity was a priority on this quickly made Ed Wood-esque serial.
BiffPow

Post by BiffPow »

AndyFish wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 6:46 am I don't think continuity was a priority on this quickly made Ed Wood-esque serial.
That’s funny! That is exactly what I said about it to my son as we watched it: “It looks like Ed Wood made this!”