Letters to Batman

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Bill S.C.

Re: Letters to Batman

Post by Bill S.C. »

Dear Batman,

By brother and I act out your stories. He plays the Joker and I play Batman. I get him all the time.

Your fan,
Jerry W.
Gloucester, Virginia

Dear Batman,

Your latest story of "Death Knocks Three Times" was "electrifying." Death-Man had outsmarted Batman almost to the finish until it started raining and lightning. Batman tried vainly to get up and knock out Death-Man, but couldn't because he had been shot in the arm. Death-Man was about to shoot Batman in the head with his gun. Suddenly, a white hot flash of lightning went over Batman's head. Death-Man had been electrecuted. His gun had attracted the lightning. You sure know how to have a lot of fun.

Your fan,
Ronnie P.
Hampton, Virginia

Dear Batman,

I think you are the best dressed. Even Superman doesn't dress good as you.

Love,
Sharon W.
Hollywood, Calif.

Dear Batman,

I would like to know if you could please send me 9 or 10 bat decals like the one on your shirt because I'm going to be Batman for Halloween.

Your fan,
Lawrence, NY

P.S. Last Halloween I was Frankenstein.

Dear Batman,

You are my favorite show on television and I haven't even seen it yet.

A true fan,
Nancy R.
Scarsdale, N.Y.

Dear Batman,

I read Batman comics every night before I go to sleep and I always have pleasant dreams.

Love,
Jess R.
Cleveland

Dear Batman,

In Death Knocks Three Times, how did Death man die and come back and live?
It would be a big help if I could learn his secret.

Thank you from
Jeffrey L.
Dayton, Ohio

Dear Batman,

I like everything on the Batman TV show except the catwoman.
I hate girls.

Your friend,
Victor M.
Highland, Michigan

Dear Batman,

I have a question.
Has President Johnson every been to the batcave?

Sincerely,
Steve R.
Atlanta, Georgia

Dear Batman,

I have 5 Batman comics. They are, Batman Killed, Justice League America, Batman versus Elipso, Batman with Robin the Wonder Boy, Batman and Robin Batty.
I like to read the Batman comics over and over, I read Batman and Robin Batty 42 times.

Forever your fan,
Charles H.
Chicago

Dear Batman,

Quick, send me a Bat rope.
I am planning my escape from this place.

Love,
Rita J.
NYC

P.S. My mother and father don't know yet. Top Secret!

Dear Batman,

I have 1,000 box tops from cereals, cookies, toothpaste, crackers, soaps, ice cream.
Please tell me what box tops I use for a Batman picture.

Thank you,
Dorothy I.
Reading, Pa.
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

Here are today's letters. Enjoy.

Dear Batman,

Batman and Robin in the comics are wowsville, but on TV, "Holy Batwings," it's nutty. Couldn't you get someone other than Adam West and Burt Ward. Batman has a crazy "pot belly" and Robin's Holy? Well you name it. Both combined make it silly, stupid, nutty, or whatever.
While looking over Batman no. 180 I found 2 boo-boos. No. 1 on page 2 column 3 you show Bruce in a blue suit and in column 2 it's a brown suit. 2) on page 10 in the last columns someone in the Batcopter says "We'll find out when we get to Bay City and on page 11 column 2 in the yellow it says "As the Batcopter glides toward Gotham City."
Besides this it was great.

Johnny L.
NYC

Dear Batman,

Me and my boyfriends are starting a Bat club. So we decided that you should help us out. I am Batman in my club. I have a code name. It is AA. The AA stands for the two As in Batman.
My boyfriends code name name is ii because he is Robin. I am the President in the club. We only have about 5 people in the club. They are: Batman, Robin, Bathelper, and two Bat secret agents. We have four different codes. They are: 9-5÷3+2x1, 98754, (3.4.9.2.) and..-.-.-.
We haven't figuered out what our secret code means yet.

Your friend,
Jeff W.
Chicago

Dear Batman,

I would like to study Batman in school but they don't teach that subject.

Your loyal fan,
Mickey M.
Greenville, Minn.

Dear Batman,

I watch your show every Wed. and Thurs. night and think it is neat.
I like how your utility belt always saves the day.
I have a belt too, but it doesn't do anything.

Your loyal fan,
Jimmy M.
Chicago

Dear Batman,

We have seen the Riddler, the Joker, the Penguin, and the Catwoman. But why not a hunched backed grumply little gangster called the Turtleman. He has a car that when it gets to water it can turn into a submarine.
Wouldn't that be a challenge to the Dynamic Duo? I have written a story for the Turtleman.
Please tell me if you are interested and you can have the story for .12 cents.

Love,
Vera G.
NYC

Dear Batman,

I have an idea for a crook. Her name is "Joy Woman" and she can always be trying to get Batman married. Be sure to make her very tricky. But make sure Batman gets out of it.
If the "Joy Woman" gets Batman married, there will be no joy for Batman.

Your fan,
Peter W.
Webster Groves, Missouri

Dear Batman,

I have been watching your show for a long time. In the middle of your show everybody in my family likes the part of the ooof, bang, crack, bam, pow and arf.
Are they English words?

Holy Cow!
Mike W.
Cleveland

Dear Batman,

Please write to me and tell who your next enemy will be so I can hate him right away.

Love,
Mellisa G.
Manchester, N. H.

Dear Batman,

When my father was young there was a Batman.
How old are you anyway?

Your fan,
Mickey W.
NYC

P.S. I have a cat named Minnie and she watches your show every week. She sure is a crazy cat.

Dear Batman,

I like you so much I am writing this letter. A girl in this class got a letter from you and she told us the address. My friend Bobby sits near three girls adn the girls think your cute.
My teacher Mrs. Pincus said that if she was a girl yet she too would like you. Mrs. Pincus is pretty old. She used to be a Sinatra fan.

Yours truly,
Jeff L.
Newark, N.J.

Dear Batman,

I like your show very much. I watch your show every night. Some kids say you break laws but I say shut up to them.

Your friend,
Rodger P.
Lansing, Michigan

Dear Batman,

I watch you all the time on TV. I like it on TV when the program is over and then they say "Are Batman and Robin goin to die? Tune in next week and see. Same time. Same Bat Channel."
I could almost die waiting until next week.

Ralph W.
Chicago
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

Howdy Batfolks,

Here are today's letters.

Dear Batman,

You are cute but I am in love with Robin. I like to dress up like Robin. I put on my leotards, then my bathing suit, a towel and my pajama top. My towel is like a cape.
I look a lot like Robin if you close your eyes.

Love,
Stephanie G.
Malden, Mass.

Dear Batman,

I think you have a right to make a mistake every now and then.
After all, you're only human.

Love,
Rufus W.
Brattleboro, Vt.

Dear Batman,

I like you and Robin. I think the Joker is a nut. False Face is even nuttier and the Riddler is the nuttiest of all.
That's what I like about your show. It has terrific nuts.

Your friend,
Alvin E.
Clarkrange, Tenn.

Dear Batman,

In your last show the Catwoman didn't get very far.
I have not missed a one of your shows yet, Batman. and I will never miss one of your shows. Never. Your show gives me the sparkles.
I don't know what I would do without the Batman show.
I have more to say but I have to ge feed and water my 6 ducks.

Love,
Larry W.
Gainsville, Georgia

Dear Batman,

Please send me some pictures of your enemies. I got enough pictures of you already..

Love,
Susie W.
Pittsburgh

Dear Batman,

I like your TV show. I like the comic "The Titantic Terror that Haunts Batman." I like the part where Batman was fighting him in Part 2 when Batman hit him 2 times and at the end when Batman gave him one hit in the neck and laid him out on the floor. I liked that because crooks should get it in the neck.

Your Batfan,
Percy G.
Philidelphia, Pa.

Dear Batman,

Bat fever has broken out all over the country. Bat stickers are on bikes, sweat shirts, clipboards, blouses, notebooks, shirts, cars, doors, and goodness knows what else.
Oh what a beautiful sight it is!!

Your loyal fan,
Louis G.
Akron, Ohio

Dear Batman,

I love you. I and my friends play Batman. I am Robin. A friend Timmy is Batman. A friend Jeffry is the police commissioner. A friend Stewart is Alfred the Butler. A friend Ronnie is the joker because he is the only one who knows any jokes.

Love,
Stanley G.
Gainesville, Georgia

Dear Batman,

You goofed. In your Batman no. 180 "Death Knocks Three Times" on page eleven you go down the ladder of the Bat-copter. That's all right, but on page thirteen you're hanging on the ladder, but without any rungs, but on the bottom right hand frame you leap from the ladder, but this time with rungs.
Also the ladder must be dangling in mid-air for the Bat-copter is in the distance without any sign of the ladder even coming near the Bat-copter, let alone attached to the Bat-copter.
Not all your fans may have noticed this but Kevin is an eagle eye.

Your fan,
Kevin W.
Cliffside Park, N.J.

Dear Batman,

I like your TV show a lot. I like best the screams of the outrageous crooks.
Keep up the good work and keep those crooks screaming.

Your fan,
Mark M.
St. Louis

Dear Batman,

I want to ask you if I could be on the Batman show? My name will be Pepper girl.
If I am a big hit on the show you could have another girl called the Salt girl and we could get together on one show and be Pepper and Salt.

Love and kisses,
Trudy W.
New Rochelle, N.Y.

Dear Batman,

I have a problem. On April 28, I have a pack meeting at 7:00. It's a Thursday when Batman's on. My father's the cub scoutmaster and we have karate experts coming.
I can't bring a TV nor can my father cancel the meeting.
What can I do? Please help me.

Signed,
Rodger J.
Boston, Mass.

P.S. One way you could help is to put you show on at 9:00 p.m. that night. It is a small favor to ask for a loyal fan.

More on Monday
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

Howdy Batfolks,

Here are today's letters. They will also be the last letters; today's post finishes the book.

I hope y'all have enjoyed reading them.

Dear Batman,

I love you so much that when I see you on TV I go over and kiss you but my mother yells because after I kiss you the TV set is all wet.

Love and kisses,
Hilda Z.
White Plains, N.Y.

Dear Batman,

I watch your TV show every week. So does my daddy watch you TV show every week but he doesn't want anybody to know it.

Your fan,
Larry W.
Atlanta, Georgia

Dear Batman,

I have thought of a new criminal for Batman and Robin to fight. I call him Mr. Fog. With the fingers on his right hand he can create a fog which is impossible to see through. I think he will make an exciting criminal.

Alfred K.
Phoenix, Arizona

Dear Batman,

Could you please write to Miss Bright, our librarian?
She won't put Batman comics in the school library. All the kids think Miss Bright is a square.

Your fan,
Ronnie W.
NYC

Dear Batman,

Detective No. 348 was very good. The story entitled "The Birdmaster of Bedlam" was good. I think the Birdmaster made a very careless mistake in training his birds to attack every plane except the Bat-plane. The reason? It's because the Birdmaster forgot to train his birds not to attack his plane. I also think what the Birdmaster couldn't take his eyes of was birds' feathers and heads because his henchmen wore birds' feathers and heads. The Elongated Man story "My Wife, The Witch" was also very good but suppose Ralph (Elongated Man) Dibny's wife really could do magic. Then she could have cast a spell on the hotelkeeper who was really a crook to make him reform. The Elongated Man did do good magic with his power to stretch when he made the spinning wheel attack one of the crook's henchmen. When the Elongated Man stretched his arms and feet in order to catch the crook, I thought it was real sneaky. The Elongated Man is one of my favorite heroes.

From
Alex V.
Indianapolis, Indiana

Dear Batman,

I love you more than the Green Hornet, Superman, the Lone Ranger, the Shadow, Dick Tracy or the other great American heroes.

Love and kisses,
Brenda W.
Gainesville, Ga.

Dear Batman,

I've got a good idea to improve your show and get more popular. The idea is this. Someone should discover your identity and then die. Also you should make your shows scary by a criminal making a robot and injure you. If you do these things it would make your show a lot of laughs.

A fan of yours,
Billy Adler, Jr.
NYC
(the bookwriters son, age 9)

P.S. I hope this will make you more popular.

Dear Batman,

I like your show very much. But when you and Robin start fighting do you have to put in those words like for instance, pow, ouch, crunch, zlonk and all the rest! Little children that can't read don't know what it means and they have to ask someone older and by that time a new word is up and gone. And that makes some of the little children upset.
I know what I am talking about because I am 10 and I used to be a little child.

Your fan,
Gloria G.
Hollywood, Calif.

Dear Batman,

I think it would be a good idea if the JLA went into movies or on television and if you don't like this idea why don't you stick each individual Justice League member on the new show on Channel 7 called Batman. Here is who I think should play different roles.

Flash Tab Hunter
Aquaman Troy Donahue
Green Lantern Robert Conrad
Batman Whoever plays him on television
Superman Clint Walker
Green Arrow David McCallum
Hawkman Glenn Corbett
Atom Mark Goddard
Martian Manhunter John Ericson
Wonder Woman Elizabeth Taylor
Snapper Can Christopher Jones
Metamorpho Yul Brener

Howard S.
Washington, D.C.

Dear Batman,

I think Robin the Boy Wonder is keen. But why does Robin always say "Holy Popcorn," "Holy Helmets," and "Holy 4th of July"? I'm not criticizing, I just want to know so I can explain to some of the smart aleck kids at school.
We are having a play called "Batman." I thought you might like to know about it. It's called "The Frightful Five." It stars: Robin: Larry Green; Batman: Jimmy Stang; Joker: Herbie Davis; Riddler: Howie Jackson; Mr. Freeze: Louis Bowmah; The Penquin: Bobby Albert; and Zelda the Great: Me. I don't know who the Commissioner or Chief O'Hara is. I could send you a picture of the cast, but I don't have a camera.
I would send you a copy of the play but we haven't written it yet. So far we can't find a writer, but we have plenty of actors.

Your fan,
Janice J.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Dear Batman,

We have started a Batman fan club and so far we have five members and four masks.

Your fans,
Mike, Herbie, Jeff, Bobby, Dean
Chicago

Dear Batman,

How are you? I am fine. How is Robin? I hope he is fine. Write me a nice letter and tell me how you both are. I am 8 and I worry a lot.

Alvin H.
Topeka, Kansas

Dear Batman,

I've followed your adventures since I was a kid. I'm 14 and you're still my favorite. I'd like to ask you one question that's been puzzling me. Who does the laundry on your costume? I mean, whoever washes it will know your true identity since they'll know who sent it out. Please answer this question. I keep asking everyone I meet but they don't know the answer.

Bobby N.
Holyoke, Mass.

Dear Batman,

Here are BATMAN'S enemies. If there are some more, please say so. Catman Gang, Racketeers Eclipse, Birdmaster, Riddler Gang, Sharkey Gang, Aristo Gang, Flower Gang, Big Joe Gang, Gov. Warner, Prof. Smedley, Roy Reynold Gang, Joker, Dragon Society, Numbers Gang, Penguin, Invisible Knights, Aliens, Lathrop Gang, Gimmick Gang, Green Hood Gang, Man-Beast, The Bouncer, Double X and Dr. X, Mad-Hatter Gang, Jerome, Saxton Gang, Mr. Incognito Gang, Mr. Knott, Robbin Gang, Calendar Man, Mr. Mammoth, Victor Iago, Mr. Midas Gang, Death Man, King Cobra Gang (Fox, Shark, Vulture), Mr. Zero Gang, Clayface, Pardu Gang, Human Firefly, Gorilla Boss, Two Face, Mirror-Man, Pete Kulik, Zebra Man, Daredevils, Len Landers Gang, Locto, Danger Club, Mr. X, Barr Gang, Rakk Gang, Crooked-Man Gang, Kraak Gang, Slant Stacy, Mathers Gang, Black Elk Gang, Frenchy Ledoix, Sinsh Dan, Baron Hengler, Ling Chee, Luigi Verona, Aldo Fotedano, Liverpool Kid, Sumate Joe, Mr. Mellen's Gang, Moriarity Gang, Pete Cole, Yellow Gloves Gang, Dan Marly, Purple Mask Mob, Ted Tate Gang, Doc Cranium, Thor, Crystal Creature, Blue Bat, Prof. Hugo Gang and Monarch of Menace Gang. That is all.

Fred C.
Phoenix, Arizona
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

For those who had not seen this thread originally, I thought I'd give it a little bump.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Those are fun to read. Thanks! :)
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Classics.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Dear Batman,

When my father was young there was a Batman.
How old are you anyway?

Your fan,
Mickey W.
NYC

P.S. I have a cat named Minnie and she watches your show every week. She sure is a crazy cat.

:lol: When my dad would tell my brother and me about the Batman serials, I thought it was the greatest thing on Earth. I would also be like little Mickey wondering just how old Batman was! ;)

Thanks for sharing these letters! It was a LOT of fun reading 'em all. :)
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

Howdy Batfans,

I thought I'd give this a little bump. For those who haven't yet seen these letters: Enjoy. For those who have: Enjoy the rerun.