Who played Vice Admiral Fangschliester's assistant?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Project Questor

Who played Vice Admiral Fangschliester's assistant?

Post by Project Questor »

On Jul 05, 2013 user omegtrev asked in Bat-Chat: "Did we find out who played the Admiral's secretary in the movie? :?: :|"

According to "Batman Wiki" (http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Admiral_Fa ... _assistant):
"The assistant is the subordinate to Vice Admiral Fangschliester. She is seen with Fangschleister playing tiddliwinks, and is ordered to practice it."

And that she was portrayed by Linda Beatty.

Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Re: Who played Vice Admiral Fangschliester's assistant?

Post by Scott Sebring »

Wiki is wrong (that's what happens when people submit bad facts). This has already been discussed. Linda would have been 14 during the filming and doesn't look like this actress.

http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Y ... 122832/all
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

She is probably just an extra who the director liked and used her as set dressing for the scene. She most likely never achieved any fame, as most extras don't. I can't remember if she has any lines. If she does, she'd have to be listed in the credits per SAG (Screen Actors Guild) rules. But if she has no dialogue, she was just paid as an extra and would not be required to have her name in the credits.
High C

Post by High C »

Riddler Fan wrote:She is probably just an extra who the director liked and used her as set dressing for the scene. She most likely never achieved any fame, as most extras don't. I can't remember if she has any lines. If she does, she'd have to be listed in the credits per SAG (Screen Actors Guild) rules. But if she has no dialogue, she was just paid as an extra and would not be required to have her name in the credits.
You're very much on the right track, Riddler Fan. There's a memo from the movie production, although it's unclear who wrote it, although I would assume it was Dozier, that states, 'I don't know why Les [director Leslie Martinson] didn't get a close shot of the Wave in the Admiral's office. We are too far away to see they are playing tiddly-winks...and [in] profile, the Wave could almost be mistaken for Catwoman. Further, she's a pretty girl, and we should see her face.'

I'll add the only uncredited actress I absolutely can vouch for in the movie is the chanteuse in the scene in which Bruce and Kitka are on a date. As we discussed on the previous board, that is Julie Gregg, who had played Penguin's moll Finella in the final S1 ep. She has a similar hairstyle and the same gold gown she wore in the Penguin eps.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
dell

Post by dell »

The Admiral's aide has three lines. I transcribed her part of the scene below:

Robin calling from the Batmobile.
Robin: “Operator, Please give me the Pentagon in Washington. The Navy Department”

The aide and the Admiral are seen playing tiddly winks. The phone rings and she picks up the phone.
Aide: “Admiral Fangschleister’s office."

Robin hands phone to Batman.
Batman: “Hello, Batman speaking.”

Aide: “Oh hello.”

Admiral: “Who is it?”

Aide: “Batman”

The aide has no more lines after this as the admiral and Batman speak to each other.
dell
Bob

Post by Bob »

It was a funny scene. My brother ( a navy man ) is not a batman fan but will always watch this scene
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Scott is right in that her perceived identity is generally mistaken. However, a number of months back I did find her with her real name. It was her face and, if I recall right, she was some little known actress that didn't go on to greater things. What gets me is - YOU THINK I CAN REMEMBER HER NAME NOW?????? I can't even recall how I went about finding it to begin with! Maddening! :cry:
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
twint9

Post by twint9 »

I believe her name is Linda Carpenter. I have an original promo photo with press info on the back that mentions it. I'll dig it out and confirm shortly. I know i've tried to find out more about her but have had no luck.
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

And when you guys get to the bottom of this one, please find out the names of the little old ladies who walk past Batman and Robin as they pull up in the Batmobile at police HQ. Thanks.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Yes, her name is Linda Carpenter and from what I can find she was a local Los Angeles beauty pageant queen. Again, it looks like her acting career didn't go very far. Scroll near the bottom to see her.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedail ... oto-1.html
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

Holy Bert Parks Batman..................you've solved the mystery!!!
Project Questor

Post by Project Questor »

Sorry for spreading the misinformation from the wiki.

Thank you Yellow Oval for providing the correct answer.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

You Guys are amazing!!!
I'm a huge fan of mystery solving!
WELL DONE!!!!
:D
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Turkey Bowinkle

Post by Turkey Bowinkle »

Thanks for the info! I was just watching this a few nights ago and remembered what a honey she was!

I found these two shots from the L.A Times website:

Here she is with actor John Carroll...

And apparently she was voted Miss Mt.Baldy, which I can't understand since she looks like she's got a nice, full head of hair!

As the good Vice Admiral would say:

"AHOY!"
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Chuck Williams wrote:You Guys are amazing!!!
I'm a huge fan of mystery solving!
WELL DONE!!!!
:D
I agree. Now, lets solve the two little old ladies mystery.

John
Music. BAT! Music.