Costume Recycling on Batman episodes!

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

BatDavidEvanSmith

Costume Recycling on Batman episodes!

Post by BatDavidEvanSmith »

Hey gang, I'm new!

I've been watching my Batman dvds (a very nicely done "unauthorized" set pulled from the TV Land airings of the episodes, and I've noticed a few repeated costumes, particularly amongst the women.

For example:

Venus from the Joker/Penguin 3part episode wears a pink outfit with black markings/lines on it, which I swear I saw in an episode earlier in the series, and then again in Season 3, on Riddler's moll, Betsy Boldface.

In the Catwoman/Sandman episode, J. Pauline Spaghetti wears a fur-trimmed gold dress that I think was repurposed on Lady Penelope Peasoup in season 3.

Watching the Joker's Last Laugh episode, and his moll Josie is wearing a magenta short dress with an orange stripe across the chest, which ends up being Dr. Cassandra Spellcraft's costume in season 3, plus a hat.

I swear that Riddler's assistant Moth's (season one) costume, her purple leotard might have been the basis upon which they built the Batgirl costume, but I can't be sure.

Was this just because the budget was so limited by season 3 they needed to recycle everything?

Have you guys noticed any other repeated costumes?

Great to find a site with people who love the series as much as I did growing up.
"When we get to the royal oil boiling room, be sure to prepare some real boiling royal boiling oil to boil the boy wonder in... royally."
John Mack

Re: Costume Recycling on Batman episodes!

Post by John Mack »

WELCOME! Interesting observations. You're going to fit right in here LOL!

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Good observations. Yes, many series ran on a budget tighter than the average household's which is funny because we all were under the impression that in Hollywood and the entertainment world money was/is no object. You can see this in other shows such as Star Trek and Lost In Space if you look closely. Actually, as many here know in some episodes when they slide down into the Batcave if you look immediately to the right you will sometimes see the Jupiter II's portable forcefield they were always repairing on Lost in Space. The high school Joker visits is also the Gotham City Museum that Riddler breaks into to search for a mummy. Police Headquarters' side wall doubles as the one Batman and Robin climb up to catch Joker stealing African masks in his first episode appearance. The Batmobile start-up thrust is the same sound as the Jupiter II's spaceship thrusters. Everything gets re-used - costumes, props, sounds, even the same streets and fronts in the studio lot, but it's so much fun to watch! :)
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

Costumes and props from several episodes were recycled, as well as recycled on other 20th Century Fox shows like Lost In Space, Time tunnel and Land of the Giants. Keep in mind that Fox Studio was near bankruptcy in the 1960's and cost cutting was the iron clad rule.
Yellow Oval

Post by Yellow Oval »

Riddler Fan - this is very true about iron-clad cost-cutting. I totally forgot about Land of the Giants and Time Tunnel and how they wore the same clothes every week. With all the running, fighting, and falling didn't these characters ever get stinky? :lol:

We could also see this cost-cutting extend into films such as the Planet of the Apes franchise as in the first sequel, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, a lot of the ape extras this time out wore cheesy, rubber pullover masks that stood out like sore thumbs! They looked like the ones you could get at your local Five & Dime Store (or Dollar Store as they're now known - inflation don'cha know?). Good business moves on paper that obviously didn't translate well to the screen.

Then, going back to TV, there were the well-known 'black curtain' sets that were used as background. They may have been cheap, but for my money (now that's a pun! :oops: ) I always found they added an air of mystery to whatever scene as I would wonder what was in the "blackness"? Where would it lead to if you walked into it?

Finally, there was also the infamous "bottle shows" where in any given series almost an entire episode would take place on one set to save badly needed budget cash. Louie the Lilac comes to mind.
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

The cost cutting at Fox got so bad after the $40 million (in 1964 dollars) loss of Cleopatra, at one point the studio that usually employs over 400 people was down to only 7 paid employees!! Even when filming episodes of Batman, studio floodlights were only turned on during filming, no air conditioning, food was provided by snack trucks and the worst, costumes were not replaced unless they were totally ruined. That meant if the actor sweated, they'd dry it off with a blow dryer and not change the costume!!! PU!!!
A. Pennyworth

Post by A. Pennyworth »

That dress was used/seen in at least 4 episodes, this pix I made a couple of years ago when it was discussed.
JWLJN

Post by JWLJN »

I remember when the Cassandra dress was on eBay. If I recall, whoever ended up with it is/was a member here (this was YEARS ago) and at a very good price.

-J\/\/
BatDavidEvanSmith

Oh wow! I didn't realize it was in FOUR episodes! Good catch in the Catwoman episode, particularly!

Awesome... I knew I joined the right Bat-board. :)
"When we get to the royal oil boiling room, be sure to prepare some real boiling royal boiling oil to boil the boy wonder in... royally."
BatDavidEvanSmith

Baby Jane Towser in the Pop/Flop Goes the Joker episodes looks like she's wearing Marsha Queen of Diamond's silvery suit in the second episode when Joker smashes her table to pieces.
tiltinghead

Post by tiltinghead »

JWLJN wrote:I remember when the Cassandra dress was on eBay. If I recall, whoever ended up with it is/was a member here (this was YEARS ago) and at a very good price.

-J\/\/
I bought it from eBay probably 10 years ago. I sold it 6+ years ago to a collector for a nice profit. He then tried to sell it on profilesinhistory.com but was asking too much money and it didn't sell.
The outfit/dress must have been a size 2 or 4...very small.
Mr. Voodoo Doll

Post by Mr. Voodoo Doll »

Very cool thread! Thanks for sharing:)