Scene from "Minerva, Mayhem and Millionaires"

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Robin's Girl

Scene from "Minerva, Mayhem and Millionaires"

Post by Robin's Girl »

I have just watched the final episode of Batman, episode #120 "Minerva, Mayhem and Millionaires." I have now seen all episodes from all three seasons. :| Anyway, a particular scene from this last episode struck me. After Batman and Robin have entered Minerva's spa, she mistakes Robin for Batman's son, saying, "Register for both, yourself and your son." Batman and Robin appear slightly stunned for a moment, and then Batman answers, "Although I would be proud if he were, this is not my son. This is Robin the Boy Wonder." During this short exchange, Robin remains silent and the expressions on his face struck me as interesting. I created a few screencaptures to try to show his reaction:
1.PNG
1.PNG (170.22 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
2.PNG
2.PNG (170.97 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
3.PNG
3.PNG (177.04 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
I know that in the show, what happened to Robin's parents and his past is never discussed. I'm not completely familiar with the comics, but I know originally his parents or family were acrobats in the circus and killed. As for the context of the TV series, though, I'm wondering how the importance of this scene plays into the show overall. What do you suppose Robin is likely thinking or feeling in this scene, the thoughts going through his head, his emotions, etc? His thoughts toward Batman/Bruce? (After all, Dick is Bruce's ward, and Bruce is not only a friend, he is Dick's guardian and mentor.) I'm wondering what other people's opinions are on this matter?

Robin's Girl
I prefer to believe it's because our hearts are pure. - Batman
Phil B

Re: Scene from "Minerva, Mayhem and Millionaires"

Post by Phil B »

Dick would like Bruce to adopt him.
Robin's Girl

Post by Robin's Girl »

Bumping thread.
I had almost no interest in this thread before, so I thought I'd bump it up in case one of the newer members might be interested in it. Maybe it's a boring topic or maybe it's been discussed to death, but I'm trying it again just in case someone else would like to talk about it or share their opinions.
I prefer to believe it's because our hearts are pure. - Batman
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Everyone knew the show wouldn't be back when this was filmed, so it may have been an inadvertent realization that 2+ years of such close contact was coming to an end.
dell

Post by dell »

Like you, I don't know the storyline from the comics. As has been brought up numerous times on this forum, there is very little backstory to characters; including the Batman/Bruce and Robin/Dick. Personally, I think the show may have lasted longer if they had done better character development, but that wasn't the style of TV in the 1960's. People were depicted as being very 2 dimensional with little history and no future; just the here and now.
dell