Finally got around to this!

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Chuck Williams

Finally got around to this!

Post by Chuck Williams »

Hi All,

I've been chomping at the bit to do this and now it's done!

This is the vintage hard hat rig that is in at least two original cowls I've seen and it's now inside one of my replicas!

It is also only the second shell I've done with the more correct vintage fiberglass cloth in the resin rather than the newer fiberglass matte.

Took me a while to figure out how they did it and to replicate it.

This one is trimmed in a third season or Hardeman style from my tracing of it. It's the one on the left.

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Ben Bentley

Re: Finally got around to this!

Post by Ben Bentley »

*Collapses*

This is another league Chuck! But who am I to tell you that eh?! I'm having flashbacks to that glorious moment when I picked up Marks cowl for the first time.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Thanks Ben!

Yep, this one feels more "right" to me for the same reason I think.

This one fits better though!
I can adjust the size!!

Waterratt

Post by Waterratt »

Always pushing the envelope Chuck, top notch as always!!
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

I could not know less about fiberglass.

Is the mat non-woven, like felt, and the cloth IS woven? Is one harder to work with than the other?

Seeing the helmet liner mounted is exciting! You must feel a real sense of completion!

Awesome as always!

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

Thanks Guys!

@Rick, yes, fiberglass comes woven in various weaves and weights like fabric and also either a continuous strand or chopped strand in various weights, held together with a material that dissolves in the styrene monomer of the polyester resin.

The fabric has all the characteristics of regular fabric and getting it to conform to a surface with tight corners, confined spaces and quick turns is difficult.

The matte, once the coating holding it together dissolves, conforms to just about any surface because it is short pieces of fiberglass that act independently from one another and grab whatever surface it's on. You still get tight outside corners where some pop up and don't want to lay down but it's not a deal breaker.

I'm not a historian of the process but I believe the cloth came first because all the old fiberglass parts I've seen made in Hollywood back in the day were cloth. As was our beloved cowl shell.

Chuck...

Hedji

Post by Hedji »

That looks terrific! Well done, Chuck! Well done indeed!