Cut/missing scenes from episodes

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gleeps, it's Batman

Cut/missing scenes from episodes

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

I mentioned in the ME-TV thread about wanting to start a topic to list any scenes that have been cut from the episodes. The most prominent one that I know of is Lesley Gore's second song, Maybe Now being cut from both cable and from ME-TV.

The only other one that I know of offhand I found when I went looking for a scene on youtube that I'd seen on ME-TV, and discovered that it was missing from the cable eps uploaded to youtube. Or rather I should say part of the scene was missing. It was where Batman was going to take Commissioner Gordon to the Batcave as a witness to his interrogating the moll. They had them talking about it, but cut the whole part of actually using the Bat gas and Batman telling them to carry Gordon and the moll down to the Batmobile. That part of the scene actually bugs me anyway. Geez, have him walk down to the Batmobile, sit in it, and *then* knock him out with the gas. Yeah, I know. They weren't going to film all that. The episode actually comes across less silly in that regard with the scene being cut, but even so, I still like to see all of the scenes shot, whole episodes, instead of butchered ones, so I was glad I had seen the entire scene on ME-TV a few months ago.

The only other one I'm aware of offhand is when looking at the water tower fight on youtube, one of the comments was about the part with Robin hanging off of the water tower being missing, and sure enough it was, and I'd just seen the episode on ME-TV and ME-TV definitely had that part in it.

If anyone would like to list any other cut scenes, that would be great. :) I've been curious for these past few months as to what I'm missing with any cuts that have been made.
Gernot

Re: Cut/missing scenes from episodes

Post by Gernot »

Here in St. Louis, we had Batman airing twice a day, one part on a local channel, and an hour on Family Channel in 1989. I remember an episode that aired on both channels on the same day that had different parts cut out on each channel, so in watching BOTH channels, I got the full episode! LOL :D

Has anyone come across episodes like that? :)
Gleeps, it's Batman

I found 3 whole minutes missing from some versions of That Darn Catwoman. No idea what ME-TV will do with it when that episode comes around, but the missing 3 minutes in some versions occurs right after Lesley Gore sings California Nights. The cut includes Catoman saying that nobody gets more applause than Catwoman as she's going to sit down and misses the chair, almost sitting on the arm of it, and then her call to Commissioner Gordon to plug her into the Batphone, and Batman saying 'no deal' to her. It finally joins back into the episode when the henchmen are counting the money and saying they're $700,000 short.
Here in St. Louis, we had Batman airing twice a day, one part on a local channel, and an hour on Family Channel in 1989.
Do you know if the promotion that Adam, Burt, Julie, Van Williams, and possibly Yvonne did in the late 80s was for the show airing on the Family Channel, or for it coming back to syndication, perhaps on some FOX stations? I saw some of the promotion they did on Holy Batmania, though Yvonne is missing from those disks, even though she was apparently involved somehow at the time because of being spotted briefly in clips.
JWLJN

Post by JWLJN »

The Family Channel used to amuse me every Christmas. No matter where they were in the run, they would play The Puzzler episodes, yet, the only Christmas connection, Andy Devine as Santa Claus, was always cut!

-J\/\/
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Oh, heck. I could scare you with all the things I've seen done to the episodes since 1969. But as Batman has said: "I tend to not think about such things. They depress me."

John
Music. BAT! Music.
60sLover

Post by 60sLover »

Few time ago I noticed about a scene cutted from the ´66 movie. After the kidnap of Kitka and Bruce, Robin calls to the Air Force to try intercept the flying umbrellas. But Joker evades the planes´ radar with metallic confetti.
I think this action may have been highlighted a bit the Joker´s participation in the movie, most reduced to serve tea to prisoner Schmiddlap all the time.
Well done Mr Semple!
Attachments
CuttedScene66Movie.jpg
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Cool find! From the RC Groups forum, here's the model plane he's trying to build, a Wen Mac XL600 Fan-Jet:
Worth a lot of money nowadays; too bad the scene was cut or it might be worth more! :lol:
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
60sLover

Post by 60sLover »

And note the advice in the box: "Any Child Can Build It",
Hahaaa!
Gleeps, it's Batman

Wow, I didn't know they'd cut a scene from the movie. I didn't go to look, but I'm assuming this scene is missing from the DVD also?

I've been avoiding the Season 3 episodes on Saturday mornings on ME-TV, but I happened to record yesterday's Shame episode and compared it to the TV Land one on youtube. Two cuts I noticed were that they cut the stock footage of Batgirl leaving her apartment on her batcycle, and then Batman and Robin in the Batmobile (green screen of nighttime) on their way to meet up with Batgirl, with Dozier narrating something like "will they make it in time?" Where they made the cut, they inserted the brief going-to-commercial-break kind of music that wasn't oiginally in the episode at that point. It was really only about 20 seconds that was cut, though.

The only other cut I noticed in part 1 was that some of the scenes in the bat-fight were taken out. I'm betting that that's happening to most bat-fights, as it's probably an easy place to cut where it wouldn't be noticed.

In part 2, I noticed one line of Batman's dialogue being cut in this scene: "I think he has something else in mind, something infinitely more heinous. (Otherwise he would have called us by now.) Don't you agree, Commissioner?" (The cut line is the one in parentheses.)

Then they cut about 1 minute 15 seconds of where Shame and the gang are talking about showing up early at the pavillion, and them actually leaving their hideout and showing up early.

As I expected, they cut a bit of the bat-fight again.

Noticed one other tiny snippet missing. After Robin and Batgirl throw their batarangs and hook the gang's guns, there's a cut that's only a second or so, but I guess those seconds add up. They cut where Robin and Batgirl pull the ropes and start running towards Shame's gang.

I'm glad that ME-TV is airing some of these scenes that were cut on the youtube versions. I keep thinking there still must be missing scenes, though, as there was less commercial time in the 60s.

I don't plan on doing this comparison every week, as it's taking time from me watching other stuff, including the Batman episodes that aired in the evening. Haven't gotten around to watching those yet. If anyone else who has ME-TV wants to do any episode cut comparisons in the future, please do so :)
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

I've noticed a bit less editing and a whole lot more time compression being used. Especially during the fight scenes. On some episodes it's really noticeable. So I guess the question is do you want selected editing or watching some scenes sped up?
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

Ya know, When I was a young kid(before VCR's)I used to audiotape these episodes. Now the average 60 minute cassette tape had 30 minutes on each side, I know with absolute certainty when editing out the commercials I would have 3 minutes remaining on each side of the tape...this means that each episode(fully intact) would be 27 minutes long, it also means( that since my bootleg copy of the series has a runtime on these eps on 25 minutes) that there must be something missing from everyone of these episodes.

I'm 49 years of age, I was about 3years old when the series was on primetime and 9 years old when this was in it's earliest stages of syndication. My next post will provide you a list of episodes where I know something is missing and I will tell you exactly what's missing...and there is a huge scene missing from the pilot episode.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Jaws63 wrote:Ya know, When I was a young kid(before VCR's)I used to audiotape these episodes. Now the average 60 minute cassette tape had 30 minutes on each side, I know with absolute certainty when editing out the commercials I would have 3 minutes remaining on each side of the tape...this means that each episode(fully intact) would be 27 minutes long, it also means( that since my bootleg copy of the series has a runtime on these eps on 25 minutes) that there must be something missing from everyone of these episodes.

I'm 49 years of age, I was about 3years old when the series was on primetime and 9 years old when this was in it's earliest stages of syndication. My next post will provide you a list of episodes where I know something is missing and I will tell you exactly what's missing...and there is a huge scene missing from the pilot episode.
LOL, Jaws63, I used to audiotape parts of the episodes as a kid too, parts that I liked or that made me laugh. I don't think I did many whole episodes, though. The only one that I'm positive that I taped the whole episode was That/Scat Darn Catwoman. I'd love to listen to it and compare to what I've recently seen on TV, but couldn't find it with my old childhood stuff, unfortunately.

I'd love to hear about any missing scenes you come up with though, including the huge scene you mentioned from the pilot episode. :)
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

Here's the list I promised:

In Hi diddle riddle, after one of the henchmen tells Molly to stop eating(she won't fit down the manhole LOL)...the Riddler tells everyone to follow him down the manhole than we go to a batless spin(which I know for a fact this spin was added, because it did not exist on the uncut version). Now there is no dialogue on this missing scene just Riddler and his henchmen going down the manhole single file, as the last person goes down the manhole while he's pulling the cover over the manhole, someone(we don't see who it is) is walking past, all we see is his shoes.

The man walking past struck up conversation between me and a friend of mine, he thought the man with the big feet and shoes was the bouncer who wouldn't let Robin in the disco.

In The Penguin is a jinx, there is a batcave scene where B&R are trying to decifer the meaning of Penguin's rainbow colored umbrella, not knowing Penguin has placed a tiny microphone hidden inside the umbrella and listening in on them. This scene switches back and forth between the batcave and Penguin's lair. After Batman tells Robin there is no way Penguin could break into the jeweled meteorite it switches back to Penguin's lair, where Penguin states "Fear not dear finks" and the scene switches back to the batcave. The uncut version has an extension On Penguin's dialogue, Pen
guin say's "Fear not dear finks, I know Batman's fertile mind...he'll think of another."

There is also a scene in Tut's case is shut, not sure what it is, but it comes after Batman drinks the lemonaid.

In hot off the griddle, there is a Batcave scene between where Dick turns off aunt Harriett's record and B&R at the Pink sandbox.

Now we discussed the missing "Maybe Now" song in "scat, darn Catwoman", but in "that darn Catwoman" there is a bank robbery scene that seems to be missing.

In "Batman displays his knowledge" when Alfred visits Batman in jail, he introduces himself to the security guard as he's walking in and say's goodbye to the guard as Alfred(now really Batman) leaves, this is also missing.....and there is other missing scenes from season 3 which I'll talk about in another post.
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

I just did a quick study of the pilot, the scene I was referring to in the previous post I said had no dialogue I think it did have other dialogue the more I think about it. Riddler races down the staircase "Stop...Stop that rediculas bickering, Batman"s had time to solve the clue". After this phrase there's other dialogue(not sure what), but one of the henchmen say's somebody's coming(this is what's cut), because Riddler stares right at the henchman sitting at the table and say's "Hurry into the manhole(the music slows) and like I said, everone follows Riddler down the manhole...some man(bigfoot LOL)walks past not realizing the manhole cover being sealed(the yellow bat, changes the scene)Narrator speaks "what are the fiendish Riddler and the molehill mob up to now. (and the show goes on as we know it)

This is about the fourth time I've written about this, twice on the old forum. Now no one has confirmed they remember this scene, but I'm 100 percent sure I'm right about this.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

60sLover wrote:Few time ago I noticed about a scene cutted from the ´66 movie. After the kidnap of Kitka and Bruce, Robin calls to the Air Force to try intercept the flying umbrellas. But Joker evades the planes´ radar with metallic confetti.
I think this action may have been highlighted a bit the Joker´s participation in the movie, most reduced to serve tea to prisoner Schmiddlap all the time.
Well done Mr Semple!
Didn't notice this until now but an interesting find! That's Sterling Holloway who was the voice of Winnie The Pooh in Disney's cartoons.

Since I have an uncut set of episodes (but for Lesley Gore's second song), it's more interesting to find out what was filmed but never used, like this aforementioned scene and also the cut scene in "Wail Of The Siren" where Siren in "civilian" garb meets Batman in the garage.