66 Movie - Villain Photos & Other Observations

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Yellow Oval

66 Movie - Villain Photos & Other Observations

Post by Yellow Oval »

I was watching it the other night and something struck me odd. When they are in the Commissioner's office looking at the TV monitor showing known super-criminals at large, how come Batman and Robin don't wonder why Catwoman's photo was taken in Bruce Wayne's study? I see the Joker, Penguin, and Riddler's photos were taken in Miss Kitka's apartment in front of the dining room table and curtain and that sort of makes sense, but how did Catwoman manage to get her pic in the "secured" room so close to the Batpoles that even Aunt Harriet is not allowed into? And who would've taken the picture? Does that mean TWO villains having snuck into Wayne Manor? That and they would've had to have seen the Bat-phone! :?

As an aside, did anyone ever notice Neil Hamilton start laughing after Robin's answer of "A sparrow with a machinegun" to one of the Riddler's riddles? He starts out serious but then looks at Burt Ward with a short laugh and look like "What a ridiculous answer" while Burt Ward is looking so serious. It's a hoot!

So is the double-take Burt gives Adam up in the helicopter when Adam salutes the police officers standing so respectfully on the ground with hats over hearts looking up at the Batcopter. Burt's look is like - "What? You think they can see you way up here?" Too funny! :lol:

Lastly, in the Batboat scenes, in the front-on close-ups, why is the ocean background black and white? Even in 1966 this was really obvious and probably perceived as cheap-looking by older moviegoers. Couldn't the studio have sprung for some color footage? I mean, all they had to do was pay someone to set up a camera on the back of a speedboat and boot around for 10 minutes off the coast!
"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
John Mack

Re: 66 Movie - Villain Photos & Other Observations

Post by John Mack »

Valid points all, but the movie was filmed rather quickly during the break between the first and second season (April 25 and May 31, 1966 at an estimated cost of $1,377,800.) Hardly, a huge production. Just have fun watching. Too much thought into it will ruin it for you.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
dell

Post by dell »

The Catwoman in Wayne Manor photo has always bugged me too.

My explanation for it is that they had Lee do a short promo video for the movie on the Wayne Manor set (you can find it on Youtube). Obviously they just took a photo of her at the same time and used it for her "official criminal" photo. I think this was due to the fact that Lee was a late addition to the cast and they didn't have a lot of time to set up a proper shot of her. If you notice, Catwoman is missing from some of the early scenes that had the other three criminals. There is no logical reason for her not to be in these scenes so one has to assume Lee wasn't available yet when they shot them.
dell
ChAnOoD

Post by ChAnOoD »

I´ll have to pay attention to these details next time. I (re)watched the movie a few weeks ago; what a good time I had.
NX01JB

Post by NX01JB »

Some things I noticed. The Batboat is kept at an unsecured dock. The Batmobile is left in the open while they use the Batboat. Same when they use the Batcopter. Also when the Penguin gasses them and steals the Batmobile the Batcycle just happens to be hidden in nearby brush? I did appreciate the scene going down the Batpoles and you see Bruce throw the costume change switch. Was any explanation ever given to how they changed clothes?
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

NX01JB wrote:Was any explanation ever given to how they changed clothes?
The Automatic Costume Changer switch was the explanation! Back in those days, that's the only logic that was necessary to explain to young kids!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
dell

Post by dell »

Batfanman wrote: The Automatic Costume Changer switch was the explanation! Back in those days, that's the only logic that was necessary to explain to young kids!
Are you implying that they really didn't have an Automatic Costume Changer?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :shock: :o
dell
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Yellow Oval wrote:I was watching it the other night and something struck me odd When they are in the Commissioner's office looking at the TV monitor showing known super-criminals at large, how come Batman and Robin don't wonder why Catwoman's photo was taken in Bruce Wayne's study? I see the Joker, Penguin, and Riddler's photos were taken in Miss Kitka's apartment in front of the dining room table and curtain and that sort of makes sense, but how did Catwoman manage to get her pic in the "secured" room so close to the Batpoles that even Aunt Harriet is not allowed into? And who would've taken the picture? Does that mean TWO villains having snuck into Wayne Manor? That and they would've had to have seen the Bat-phone! :?
As others pointed out, the Catwoman shot was from the trailer, but the image was used for Gordon's screen.

A side note: you wonder how Catwoman had her photo taken so close to the study, but the bigger security question is how often villains (& Gordon) found their way into the Batcave...
Beneath Wayne Manor
Riddler Fan

Post by Riddler Fan »

I think it takes a lot of the fun and goofyness away from the movie and show if we start over analyzing them too much. They both had severe budget limitations and they shouldn't be nitpicked for that. Actually I think the cheapness of the sets and special effects add to its charm. We know we're visiting an unreal world.
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

IMO , it prolly was an inside joke : "let's see if they notice this gag !"
Hecate1966

Post by Hecate1966 »

My question: Although I can't find a copy at the moment I'm sure I remember seeing a storyboard for the scene in the submarine where United Underworld are all looking through the periscope. Catwoman (front and center with her back to us) had a tail: does anyone know if this was ever considered an option for Lee's suit?
BatDavidEvanSmith

Post by BatDavidEvanSmith »

Watching the movie now...

Wondering why Lee's Catwoman isn't wearing her necklace like Julie's and Eartha's did.

Since the release of the Catwoman action figure I've been thinking about this necklace a lot, as Julie's wore it draped over her frilly collar, dangling longer, and Eartha wore it spread around the collar of the costume, sitting across her chest. Lee doesn't have the necklace at all. Possibly the necklace wasn't a permanent part of the costume at this point since Julie Newmar had only done one installment in season one as Catwoman?

And is there any rhyme or reason as to when Catwoman wears the claw-tipped gloves versus the regular gloves? Are they reserved only for when Catwoman is anticipating a battle?
"When we get to the royal oil boiling room, be sure to prepare some real boiling royal boiling oil to boil the boy wonder in... royally."
dell

Post by dell »

Hecate1966 wrote:My question: Although I can't find a copy at the moment I'm sure I remember seeing a storyboard for the scene in the submarine where United Underworld are all looking through the periscope. Catwoman (front and center with her back to us) had a tail: does anyone know if this was ever considered an option for Lee's suit?
I'm very glad they didn't do this. I can't imagine any way that this would have not looked silly.
dell