Model Advice

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Batmanfan71

Model Advice

Post by Batmanfan71 »

As a kid, I used to put together model klts and enjoyed doing them. Along the way, I stopped doing them and now, 30 plus years later, I would like to start doing them again. Especially since I have 2 of the Johnny Lightning Batmobiles and the aurora 2003 Spider-Man reissue here just waiting for me to put them together.

My question, for all you model enthusiasts, is what advice could you give to someone re-entering the hobby. I am going in as a total novice. I assume I will have to start with the snap together kits (I already picked up the 1966 Batmobile snap together kit) and work my way up from that.

Any other pieces of advice you guys might have for me would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
batfan1705

Re: Model Advice

Post by batfan1705 »

I highly recommend the series of books compiled by Fine Scale Modeler magazine. They cover everything from basic construction to airbrushing. They have a lot of good advice and tips for the novice builders...like me!
rajung

Post by rajung »

back in the early 60's I loved to build plastic model kits of cars.
I would literally by one on a given day and take home and immediately start to work on it,almost an addiction as some people had with baseball card collecting.I would spend great time in detailing as if to enter in a model car contest as they had back in the day at local hobby/toy stores and at the same time thinking about what next kit to get.
The army and job after that put a halt to that for awhile.
Today and for the past 10 years I am back to it,mainly winter months here in Iowa.
I prefer life size busts and figure kits only of the Batman related items.What I have learned,and due to whats available for the time,is that I like to use acrylic paints for most if not all builds.
Especially for resin or vinyl material and even plastic.
there are so many different colors out there compared to the testors and other brands.
you get a better finish and more realistic.
As far as car body's, yeah,I still stick to the Testor aerosol or other spray paints for plastic.
also, for me on resin figures, on the seams where parts are super glued together I fill the seams with a 2 part product called Apoxie.
The testor stuff is garbage.
To glue resin or vinyl kits together use any super glue.
To glue plastic ( styrene) kits together, dump the testors tube glue in the trash also and use ambroid pro weld.
Simply hold parts together, apply to the seam and your done in 30 seconds.No melted parts and holding/clamping overnight.
Waterratt

Post by Waterratt »

I would also recommend Scale Auto magazine for car building along with Batfan's recommendation of the Fine Scale books, they are a great resource. For figures, I would recommend Amazing Figure Modeler magazine, be warned if you have little kids, sometimes they will feature nude or scantily dressed figures.

For techniques, I recommend painting car bodies using automotive touchup spray paint as opposed to Testors spray cans, the auto paint goes on smoother and most cans have a "fan" spray while Testors has a broad spray. The fan spray also helps to keep the paint from pooling or dripping, as long as you don't hold the spray in one place too long.

Tools, a good knife, some good wire cutters to cut the parts off the sprue, some wet/dry sandpaper (220, 320, 400 and 600), micro files and good set of surgical tweezers, not the one's mom uses to pluck her eyebrows.

Check out your local Dollar store, I've found some decent micro files and hobby knives there. They also have clamps that are pretty good to have as well. There are so many other things that I can recommend, but I think for now, that may be a good start. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, I'll be glad to help you.

Here are some links to places where you can get some tools:

http://www.megahobby.com/tools-and-supp ... -kits.aspx

http://www.micromark.com/
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

I will recommend a different tact, lighting!
I bought a magnifier/lamp with a goose neck. It looks like a desk lamp, but for the lamp end. It's great for up close detailing. Us old guys gotta help each other out with great modeling tips.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
rajung

Post by rajung »

Szabol wrote:I will recommend a different tact, lighting!
I bought a magnifier/lamp with a goose neck. It looks like a desk lamp, but for the lamp end. It's great for up close detailing. Us old guys gotta help each other out with great modeling tips.
I have to agree, but now I use the magnified goggles that have flip up lenses for different magnification.
The way its going I may need to wear 2 sets.
I like them for the fact you can get up close and still have room for a paint brush as opposed to the lighted glass lamp. :geek:
Cappy

Post by Cappy »

To add to some of the other great ideas, is to not cheap out when it comes to paint brushes.
Nothing worse than doing all that sanding, feathering and detailing then when touching up or
fine paint detailing, to not get the paint control you need. Good brushes are no guarantee mind you,
but they certainly help. Red sables are great. If you take care of them, they should last a long time.

As far as magifiers go, I've had all types. Pretty much tossed the lighted/desk clamp style. It gets in the way of pretty much everything. The over the head style is good, but pricey starting out.
For those, try going to Walmart and pick up a set of "readers". Get the largest magnification, which I
think is +3.00. Not the full glass kind, the ones that are a 1/2 glass style. They usually come in their
own case and can be worn over most regular glasses. I believe they are under $10.00, then go from there
as you need to. To start anyway. :D
batjrb1964

Post by batjrb1964 »

I was wondering what the best glue is for plastic is..Thanks for the answer!!! I an going to buy Ambroid Pro Weld. What paints are the best? I did go cheap and buy the"Michaels" paint, they need to many coats!!! Any suggestions..
Thanks all!!
rajung

Post by rajung »

Depending on what kind of paint you are using?
You will find if using acrylic, yellow is one of the hardest ones that like to conceal on just a couple coats.If you paint white first then yellow, it helps.
Each color is going to be different as far as coverage.If you are like me, you will end up down the road with 10 different types of glue,100 bottles of paint,10 different types of blades,clippers,Exacto knives
and you know what load of little pieces of torn off sandpaper.
Waterratt

Post by Waterratt »

For gluing plastic, I use super glue and Tenex R-7 plastic weld. It works the same as the Ambroid. I highly suggest you test glue with the plastic weld, it's very watery and if runs down the piece your working on under your fingers, it will leave your fingerprint in the plastic. I've done it a few times. Here is a link on using Tenex plastic weld. Use one brush only for the Plastic weld, and make sure that the brush is hair and not plastic or synthetic bristles and they can be melted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc5E15sfDig
Batmanfan71

Post by Batmanfan71 »

Thanks for all the advice guys. I was going to start with snap kits to get some models under my belt, but with all this great advice, I might actually skip to level 2, lol.

Thanks so much and please feel free to leave any other tidbits you care to share. I'd like to think this thread could help out others aside from me.

Mike
batjrb1964

Post by batjrb1964 »

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT TIPS!! LOOKING FOWARD TO THE NEW 66 KITS. THIS SHOULD HELP.
THANKS AGAIN,JEFF
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

batfan1705 wrote:I highly recommend the series of books compiled by Fine Scale Modeler magazine. They cover everything from basic construction to airbrushing. They have a lot of good advice and tips for the novice builders...like me!
Any links? Like this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-special-Fi ... 54023e7b64

Or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321286503842

I just bought an airbrush book that takes you through fundamentals of picking a system.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
TheoriginalBat-James

Post by TheoriginalBat-James »

1st start off with what you know. If you've advanced past the "Snap Kits", don't start there.

2nd make sure you know what paints are needed before you leave the store, or internet shopping cart.
Holy Batpoles. And my legs are tried.