Dust and Cowl Care

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
Hedji

Dust and Cowl Care

Post by Hedji »

So my Chuck Cowl is on display in my Man Cave, and it is just starting to show a tiny bit of dust adhering to the fabric. My basement really isn't super dusty, but yet, it's there.

A gentle sweep with a lint brush or some masking tape really hasn't removed it.

Anyone else have this, or have some suggestions about removing dust from such a work of art? Even compressed air didn't do it. The dust really clings to that spandex.

I know I could get a case, but eventually, I plan to have it atop my full scale mannequin.
Chuck Williams

Re: Dust and Cowl Care

Post by Chuck Williams »

In certain light, the fibers of the fabric can look like dust and the more you rub, the more fibers you create.

I keep mine bagged for the most part.
If you want to keep it on display, a plastic case is the way to go to keep the dust minimized .

A gentle wipe down with a microfiber cloth does a nice job on dust.

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

Thanks buddy! I'll give the microfiber cloth a whirl.
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

Hmmm.. It's not really doing much. Looks like I gotta get a case.
Hedji

Post by Hedji »

Anybody else have this problem?
QuickBat Allan

Post by QuickBat Allan »

since I wear my bat cowl to costume events. I use air in a can and I hold it away just so it blows fine dust off. Do not blow air in a can close to your cowl. 14 inches or more away. Get a Case since you are displaying this Chuck Cowl. It will look good that way. :)
my wife is my Batgirl
hobbybuilder01

Post by hobbybuilder01 »

I just wipe my hand quickly over the top of the cowl every few days. No dust issues
T Butler

Post by T Butler »

I'm looking for a case, too. So far a baseball helmet case looks promising. Most football helmet cases have a mirror on the side, basketball cases are too small.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

This is the case I use for displaying cowls. It is a football helmet display case, but it can be turned on end. All sides are clear. The best price I've found is here on Amazon, but if you shop around, you may find a better price. Custom cases were just too expensive for my taste.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000J55BUK/ref ... BRDGOXAJX2
cowldisplay3.jpg
cowldisplay3.jpg (30.84 KiB) Viewed 4511 times
I put rubber or felt bumpers on the bottom so it sits nicely on my display shelf. I put the cowls on black hat stands.

I consider a case absolutely essential for keeping my cowls dust free when on display. When I'm costuming, the cowl goes on a styrofoam wig head and into a vintage wig case that looks like this:
il_570xN.475634781_nb47.jpg
Rick
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
batfan1705

Post by batfan1705 »

I use a vintage hat box for my cowl as well. I made a modification to the inside so that a styrofoam wig head would be secure to hold the cowl for travelling.

Hedji

Post by Hedji »

That's very clever! Nicely done!