1968 Cartoon- What's taking so long!?!?!?!?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

RomeroJoker

1968 Cartoon- What's taking so long!?!?!?!?

Post by RomeroJoker »

We've been waiting for a DVD release as long as we've been waiting for the 1966 series! :| At least with the '66 show, they have a reason for that not coming out, as it's a duel for the rights between Fox and WB, but for this they literally have no excuse as this one is available for sale on Amazon/iTunes. I'm glad the series has been released digitally, but with all the DRM it limits one to only watch it on their computer/desktop and that's not fair :? I know there has been problems with the masters being severely damaged and that they'd be unsuitable for a DVD release, but I don't know how much of that is actually true or exaggerated as they look absolutely fine to me in my opinion. A huge upgrade compared to my copies from Cartoon Network/Boomerang that I've had for years.
JWLJN

Re: 1968 Cartoon- What's taking so long!?!?!?!?

Post by JWLJN »

This got me to thinking, it's a shame that an actual continuation cartoon of our beloved series was never done. I guess it would've fallen under the same alleged rights issues. This comic that's out now would be the closest thing. I'd still be up for using Adam and Burt as the voices, but the window on that won't be open forever.

-J\/\/
LA Batfan

Post by LA Batfan »

Actually, the later Filmation cartoon that DID use Adam and burt's voices IS available on DVD.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Adventures-Ba ... an+cartoon

It's the '68 show that's not out yet.
Greg_Savage

Post by Greg_Savage »

yeppers, I got that one
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Yeah, I was never too pleased with the '70's Filmation cartoon on CBS, either. It was during the height of non-violent cartoons on network TV (except for Bugs Bunny). I remember the first episode with Catwoman, and she had no henchmen! I was trying to figure out how Batman and Robin would fight her gang of women, and soon saw they had no intention of letting our heroes throw a single punch.

I always considered the '68 series a successor to the live action TV show. :)
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Even Bugs Bunny was neutered in those days, Gernot. You wanna talk crazy, try watching the "Duck Season/Wabbit Season" cartoon with all the gunplay edited out. Hey, why is Daffy's head smoking all of a sudden? And why is his bill on top of his head? Beats me.

I never understood how the "parent group" types got so worked up over Looney Tunes. The argument was that seeing violence would inspire violence. How many kids did they really think we're going to roll boulders onto each other, or throw around sticks of dynamite? On the other hand, I would totally understand going after Tom and Jerry because everything happened in the house with everyday objects. I have known kids who might've tried sticking a cat's tail in an electrical outlet, or cutting it off with scissors, or dropping an iron on a pet's head, even without a cartoon to inspire them!

The thing that really ruined the 70s Batman cartoon was Bat-Mite. Talk about a character who made you miss violence; what I wouldn't have paid to see him run over by a truck. It's amazing that so many fan boys single out the '66 series as some "insult" to their "serious" hero when it was a pretty accurate reflection of the comics of the era. They should save their ire for the 70s cartoon, which ignored several years of Batman's "Darknight Detective" makeover at the hands of O'Neill, Adams, Englehart, Roger's, et al to resurrect Bat-Mite of all things. Bat-mite! And what's more, some Hollywood genius said, "you know what this character needs? He needs to be more annoying. Let's give him buck teeth and a voice that could peel paint."

I'm happy for any fans of the show who get to see it now on DVD -- and that Adam and Burt are at least getting royalties for *something* -- but I wouldn't watch that show again on a bet.
"You were right again, Batman. We might have been killed."
"Or worse. Let's go..."
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

SprangFan wrote: I never understood how the "parent group" types got so worked up over Looney Tunes. The argument was that seeing violence would inspire violence. How many kids did they really think we're going to roll boulders onto each other, or throw around sticks of dynamite?
Well, to be honest, there were a lot of stupid kids out there ready to improvise with a hand-sized rock of a boulder was not available.
It's amazing that so many fan boys single out the '66 series as some "insult" to their "serious" hero when it was a pretty accurate reflection of the comics of the era. They should save their ire for the 70s cartoon, which ignored several years of Batman's "Darknight Detective" makeover at the hands of O'Neill, Adams, Englehart, Roger's, et al to resurrect Bat-Mite of all things. Bat-mite! And what's more, some Hollywood genius said, "you know what this character needs? He needs to be more annoying. Let's give him buck teeth and a voice that could peel paint."
Hahahaha! The comic relief character appeaing in adventure series was a longtime staple by that time (long years of distractions with Tusky, Blip, et al), but if Filmation had one shortcoming, it was the type of comic relief character that would ruin many a series from the 70s until the company's end: the short and/or potbellied whiner who screwed up the hero's plans. From BraveStarr, He-Manand Web Womanto Batman, and other series, the overall value of the show was compromised.

Who thought kids wanted to see that?
I'm happy for any fans of the show who get to see it now on DVD -- and that Adam and Burt are at least getting royalties for *something* -- but I wouldn't watch that show again on a bet.
Oh? Okay, I have to ask, which 70's Bat-reunion production caused more pain: the Filmation series, or Legends of the Superheroes?
Beneath Wayne Manor
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

RomeroJoker wrote:I know there has been problems with the masters being severely damaged and that they'd be unsuitable for a DVD release, but I don't know how much of that is actually true or exaggerated as they look absolutely fine to me in my opinion. A huge upgrade compared to my copies from Cartoon Network/Boomerang that I've had for years.

Is that the excuse--the masters are damaged for the '68 series? What was the source for the WB The Superman/Batman Adventures package series in syndication? Or were the masters damaged after use for that syndicated package?
Beneath Wayne Manor
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Oh? Okay, I have to ask, which 70's Bat-reunion production caused more pain: the Filmation series, or Legends of the Superheroes?
Easily the Filmation series. Compared to the weekly abuse of the cartoon, "Legends" was just a one-off (unless you count the "Roast" as an "Episode 2") and my first chance to see characters like Green Lantern,the Flash, Black Canary and Hawkman in live action (not to mention the return of old favorites Adam, Burt and Frank). Yes, it was stupid, but in those days we didn't expect much. I'd already endured the Cathy Lee Crosby version of Wonder Woman, Nicholas Hammond's lame attempt at Spider-Man, Peter Horton's (permed!) Dr Strange and if I hadn't seen it yet I was soon to see Reb Brown as Captain America. With that sort of dreck setting the standard, even "Legends" doesn't necessarily stand out as a "nadir of the genre." Sure this stuff is painful in hindsight, but at the time we were used to the pain. Sort of like going to school every day even though you knew the bullies were waiting for you; kids are survivors.
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Sprangfan, your post made me think about how those parent groups neutered so many of our childhood cartoon characters. I'd actually forgotten how they'd edited Bugs' cartoons. Look at this list of characters who suffered during the '70's:

Batman
Tom & Jerry
Droopy
Mighty Mouse
Heckle & Jeckle
Popeye
Space Ghost
Fantastic Four
Popeye
Spider-Man
The Justice League
Bugs Bunny

If they didn't want kids watching violent cartoons, why'd they bother remaking the violent cartoons? Why didn't they just create a few hundred more Scooby Doo clones? Now, I REALIZE Scooby's got his fans, but not at MY computer! ;)
Kamdan

Post by Kamdan »

Could you give me some examples of how the masters were damaged? I think the only way these will be released on DVD will be through the Warner Archive Collection.
SprangFan

Post by SprangFan »

Gernot, if the goal in hiding violence from kids was to raise a generation that didn't know violence, then those meddlers failed miserably. Kids know what violence is and what's more, they want it. It didn't ruin our parents and grandparents to watch Roy Roger's shoot at rustlers, after all.

I still remember the day when into that wasteland of nicey-nice boredom stormed Jonny Quest (in syndication). Suddenly there was Race Bannon punching, shooting, throwing people left and right. In one episode he drove a bull-dozer with the blade up as a shield against enemy bullets as he shot the baddies down by the score with an M-16. I was over the moon. All those do-good ears did was guarantee Race Bannon would be a hero to me for the next 40 years.
"Or worse. Let's go..."
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Boy, this is a rare opportunity for me to chime in with something that is news to the very knowledgeable Batfans on this Board. For those who can't wait, all or most of the 1968 series is available for streaming or download on Amazon. For those who can, George Feltenstein from Warner Archives said this during a recent Reddit chat (http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments ... rchive_at/ )when asked about DC filmation titles (including The Adventures of Batman and Superboy). This is what he said:

Q: Are there any plans to release the vintage batman superman hour cartoons from the 60s in a blu ray or DVD physical format?

A: WHV is hopefully going to be releasing the rest of the DC FILMATION animation. We know that at that time, BATMAN fans will rejoice!
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Ha! Yeah, after-school cartoons in the '70's were MUCH more popular than the newer stuff offered by the networks. We had the classic Popeye, Bugs Bunny, Mighty Mouse, and also the new (to the U.S. at the time) Ultra-Man and Jonny Socko. All of which were heavy with violence we kids loved! ;)

Bookworm, thank you for your news! Great to hear that! I just wish they'd include the little features that went along with the cartoons.
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

The 1968 Batman, the second season of Superman, and the Superboy cartoons have not been released commercially yet, although someone snuck in a bumper for the Superboy cartoons on the first Superman set.

As for the condition of the masters, it appears that in the 90s when the Batman cartoons were edited for the Superman/Batman Adventures, someone tried to add a music track to the audio to bury the original music, but they evidently couldn't remove the original music entirely, because the result is two soundtracks at odds with the dialogue. Look at examples on youtube and you'll hear what I mean.
Frankly, I can't believe WB would sit on Batman material they own outright and not release it.

As for concerns over violence, I grew up watching this version in reruns concurrently with the 66 series and I never had behavioral issues, but back in the 70s, organized parental groups like Action for Children's Television voiced concerns over violence in animated programming, and the result was kinder,gentler shows like Super Friends and the New Adventures of Batman. I watched out of loyalty to Adam, Burt, and Batman, but never took a liking to BatMite (voiced by studio co-owner Lou Scheimer).

Still I would love to own a complete set, stock animation and all.