Lewis Wilson BATMAN Fans?

Here's a place for NON '66 Batman related subjects.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

elmrgraham

Re: Lewis Wilson BATMAN Fans?

Post by elmrgraham »

Nice Set.
Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

This inside cover of the 1974 treasury edition was the 1st time I ever saw or knew there was a Lewis Wilson < Batman
Funny I have never seen this photo again , on Ebay or published material
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Looking great. I think superman was maroon and green. I saw the costume when they had an exhibit at the Cleveland natural history museum in 1988. Just think these old serials played at the Playboy mansion lead to our beloved 1966 Batman.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Szabol wrote:Looking great. I think superman was maroon and green.
Did one of the Superman serials also use different shades of brown for the costume? I think I read that in Filmfax but I am not sure.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Mike
Same thing that started my obsession. I read and loved that giant size Batman book, and when I got to the back and saw the photos of Wilson and Croft I was stunned! Thus was born an obsession to find that serial.

A few years later when the first Burger King opened up in town they showed movies in the dining room. They were showing this lame black and white movie with a guy who used a electronic gizmo to give him the power of walking without his wheel chair. We were eating burgers and laughing. When the two leads came on in a scene one of my friends says they look like Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson, then the next scene they're in the costumes! It was the 1949 Batman serial! I think I sat there with my mouth hanging open and burgers falling out of my mouth.

I was too shy to ask the manager anything, and it seems today that it was likely the 8mm short versions of the serial that were released prior to VHS.

My friends thought it was lame, so I pretended I did too. A few years later I finally found them both.
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Thinking back I remember knowing that the 1966 Batman was "make believe" becuase of the humorous villians, gadgets, and the fact it was a tv show. Yet when I saw the 43 serial on home movies with no sound it almost seemed like primitive old newsreel footage. So I came to think of the 43 characters as the "real" Batman and Robin and the tv cast as the "pretend" Batman and Robin. Funny how the naive eyes of a child will interpret things.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Mike Mulitsch wrote:Image
That's it, maroon and a light blue. I thought it was light green, but that picture tells the story. That was the 50's Superman. The 40's may have been brown.

Andy's recollection is great. I remember buying the serials along with Captain America on VHS. I don't think I ever watched the 49 serial all the way through.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Maniac Cop, I think that's a big reason why the 43 serial resonated with me as well. It seemed that if someone decided to dress up as a bat and fight crime in real life with a young boy at his side, it would look like that. That, and getting ahold of it was like finding a long sought after treasure...and one that did not disappoint. I could not wait to get back to Japan to watch them (no VCR in the hotel :cry:
). I pretty much watched the two serials back to back over two days.

As to the Superman photos, I'm thinking the one on the left was for the b/w TV Superman, and the one on the right for the color episodes? Is that right? My husband just ordered me the set of two Superman serials for White Day. He was surprised I had never seen them. Is the Captain Marvel serial worthy of its reputation? Maybe I can get him to buy that too!

Andy, what does the custom Batman figure have in the cylinders on his belt?
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
maniac cop 5

Post by maniac cop 5 »

Lord Death Man I just noticed your location.
My mother was from Osaka.
Amazing how the love of a 71 year old serial stretches across generations and even cultures!
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

LDM
The cylinders are empty like they were in the serial, we used different colored tubes for each figure so they are all unique on the inside.
Doctor Shatterhand

Post by Doctor Shatterhand »

Perhaps not too many people know this here but Lewis Wilson was once married to Dana Broccoli, the late wife of the late James Bond producer Albert R. Broccoli. Lewis' son, Michael, is currently co-producer of the Daniel Craig OO7 films with his step-sister Barbara Broccoli. Michael has been connected with the OO7 series since 1964 when he played a Korean soldier invading Fort Knox in Goldfinger.

On a side note I have always found it interesting how both Batman and James Bond has had interesting intersections throughout cinema history. First with Lewis' son and ex-wife, later with Adam West considered for the role of Bond in 1969's On Her Majesty's Secret Service, and with Kim Basinger who played opposite Sean Connery in 1983's Never Say Never Again and 1989's Batman with Michael Keaton. Kim Basinger is also a distant cousin of mine and shares the same last name. Being a fan of both Batman and Bond I enjoy the latter connection very much.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

AndyFish wrote:Custom mego Lew Wilson figure!
Our studio designed the custom head and the rest of the figure is hand made on a Dr Mego body.Image
That is a sweet custom!
Beneath Wayne Manor
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

AndyFish wrote:
May do a variant gray version for my own personal copy.
Any plans to produce a '43 Robin?
Beneath Wayne Manor
Mike Mulitsch

Post by Mike Mulitsch »

Back go my question why have we never seen this picture I find it pretty cool
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (58.13 KiB) Viewed 7223 times