Old School Bat Radio

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rickrickrick

Old School Bat Radio

Post by rickrickrick »

So, just for giggles, to have another recognizable handheld prop I could easily carry to conventions, etc, I decided to make a Bat Radio. Out of real wood, like the original prop.

I beg your tolerance and forgiveness, as I am NOT someone skilled at woodworking. I am just hacking away at this for fun, so be kind! :lol:

I used screen grabs and auction photos to make a template, totally taking a guess as to the size, based on what seemed to be the relative scale of the prop as seen in actors' hands. I used a hunk of pine I had lying around, cut it out on the jigsaw, and then gutted the back - rather painstakingly - using a small chisel and a dremel sanding drum.

I like the shape so far, and the fact that the body of it is more or less made the way the original prop was amuses me. I have little brass balls for the tops of the antennae coming, and will order some brass rod for the antennae themselves. I think the biggest challenge will be the brass grill - I do not like CY's replicas with flat screens. It is obviously slightly raised, not flat. I'm thinking I will vacuform that part and then paint it as best I can.

RRR
Attachments
batradio1.jpg
batradio1.jpg (54.36 KiB) Viewed 8370 times
batradio2.jpg
batradio2.jpg (52.08 KiB) Viewed 8370 times
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Ben Bentley

Re: Old School Bat Radio

Post by Ben Bentley »

Looks like you're off to a great start! Keep us posted!
Scott Sebring
Site Admin

Post by Scott Sebring »

Coolness. Love to see how it turns out.
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Me too.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

I can't quite figure out what the grey button at the bottom is. Is it some kind of push on/push off button with a rubber cap over it?? Is there an off-the-shelf equivalent? Anyone with a CY replica chime in here - Clint seems to have nailed it.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

VERY COOL RICK!!!

It's looking great!

I look forward to seeing it as it progresses...:)

Chuck...
Quick, Everyone, Flee for your lives, into the street!!!!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/WilliamsStudio ... eller_info
Batfanman

Post by Batfanman »

It would be really cool if you could integrate a real walkie-talkie into it for a working model!
Every Day Is BATMAN DAY!
Visit & Like - https://www.facebook.com/batfanman66
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Very cool. That raised grille always looked to me like the sieve from a garlic press. :)

Cheers,

QQ
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Ha - QQ, is does look like one of those, doesn't it? Except in brass.

This is on hold for a few more days - the balls I ordered for the antennae tops were too small. Oops.

Still looking for input on that switch at the bottom! Anyone? Bueller?

RRR
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

A super quick update on the small amount of progress I've made.

Procured the solid brass rod for the antennae, and vacuformed the piece for the grill, with which I am very pleased.

Awaiting the arrival of the brass spheres for the top of the antennae, and figuring out what the heck the bottom switch thing is.
batradioprogress.jpg
batradioprogress.jpg (228.69 KiB) Viewed 8091 times
RRR
batfan1705

Post by batfan1705 »

On the CY replica, the switch is a simple momentary on switch that turns on a light behind the frosted plastic. It looks like the sort of switch you might find at Radio Shack or similar store. The pushbutton cap is round and painted silver. Sorry I can't be of more help but I don't wish to take it apart.

Hope this helps!

batfan1705
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

This just looks like a brass piece to me.
The back looks to be a nut soldered on.

rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

I guess I always assumed it was a functional switch of some kind, since Clint's replica has a working light. Honestly, I can't remember ever seeing it illuminated on the show or in the film.

But why would the interior be hollowed out if it didn't need the room for a functional light installed?

I think I'll proceed as it appears Clint did - fabricate my own top to stick on a small push button switch, so I can put in a battery operated light.

Thanks, all, for the input!

RRR
Chuck Williams

Post by Chuck Williams »

It probably did light up but the switch could have been anything on the back and not seen.

That doodad does beg to be used as a proper switch/button though.

rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

And the way the bottom is hollowed out perplexes me - why was the bottom left open? For wires to go to electrical lines? If it actually lit up, did it use an external power source, rather than running off an internal battery? On Clint's replica, the bottom is not open.

:?

RRR