What did the show invent that wasn't in the comics?

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gleeps, it's Batman

What did the show invent that wasn't in the comics?

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

I know much or most of what we saw on the tv show and in the movie came from the comics. The biggest surprise for me was that even the shark repellant bat spray came from the comics. I'd thought surely that was a great comedy piece created for the movie, but apparently not.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can name anything that the show invented on its own that hadn't been in the comics. Anything original to the show. I know some of the villains were created for the show, and you can name them also, but I was thinking more of objects. Was it 14 miles to Gotham City in the comics also, as we saw on the sign near the Batcave? Were there Batpoles behind a bookcase in Bruce's study? Was there a Shakespeare bust that opened it? Was there a magical costume change lever? LOL.

I'm going to assume things like the atomic pile came from the comics, and the flame out of the back of the Batmobile, and possibly the turntable that turned the Batmobile around, but I'd like to know for sure. I'm thinking that maybe the show came up with the parachutes on the back, but I could be wrong on that. Somehow I'm thinking there wasn't a batchute pickup service in the comics either, but the shark repellant bat spray surprised me, so anything is possible. ;)

Actually, wasn't Chief O'Hara created for the show so Commissioner Gordon would have someone to talk to? He wasn't in the comics, right? Kind of the same with Barbara's bird, Charlie, so she'd have someone to talk to so we'd know what she was thinking.
clavierankh

Re: What did the show invent that wasn't in the comics?

Post by clavierankh »

Most of the gadgetry , Atomic Pile, turntable ,flames from the back of the batmobile wee invented for the show I believe.

I the comics they had a computer and batmobile. The batmobile was a high powered car and wasn't equipped with things like a bat beam and ejector seats

IIRCthe secret entrance to the batcave from Wayne manor was a stairway behind a grandfather clock There were no batpoles or bust of Shakespeare.

In the summer of 66 the Batman and Robin serial cam to our town. I remember going to it and being surprised he differences between it and the series. I had no exposure to the comic yet, The bat without the yellow oval was really jarring!
Gleeps, it's Batman

Ah, I do remember reading about a staircase and a grandfather clock, now that you mention it. Wow, so most of the stuff related to the Batmobile was made up for the show? Interesting. Thanks :)
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

The 50's Batmobile was a worthy precursor to the 60's TV version. It was loaded with gadgets and special features. It had radar, closed circuit TV, rocket/jet propulsion tubes (mounted in the fenders, not the rear like on TV), could travel through water, had a Batphone used to communicate with Commissioner Gordon (yes, it did-it was not red, though), a fully outfitted crime lab in the back passenger compartment (it was a LARGE vehicle), make-up kits, whirly-bats (portable single hero helicopters), a directional finder, spare costumes and gear, smokescreen, a light beam on the top bubble, a chain-cutting Bathead/ram on the front, sonic range finder (sounds like radar to me), power hoist, fire extinguishers, police radio, radiation detectors, research files, rafts, a Batgrapple used to stop pursued vehicles, Bat-armor, and can be operated by remote control. It is my favorite verison of the Batmobile, that big-car 50's look with the bubble and fin is very cool!

Some of the gadgets appearing on the show were in the comic-Batrope, Batarang (a dozen or more specialized versions in the book), gas and smoke pellets, laser torch, communicator buckles, Batcuffs, gasmask, etc. The very specific utility belt gadgets were original to the show for the most part-there wasn't much call for a Bat-Alphabet Soup Container in the comics ^_^ .

The Batcave was as well stocked as the TV version, and had things the TV version did not-lots of cool trophies from past cases, and a gymnasium. The Batcave was usually accessed by a spiral staircase behind the clock (previously just behind a sliding panel), also at times an elevator and even a chute. But there was a Batpole! Batman and Robin used the same one and it was in Batman no 96/1955. The exit to the Batcave for the Batmobile was from an old disguised barn on the Wayne premises. Later it was changed to an outdoor exit at ground level like on the show. A couple of years before the TV show it was changed to a camouflaged exit on a hillside. It had a large crime lab, a computer, and just about every variety of crime-fighting equipment possible. But no atomic pile.

Chief O'Hara was created for the show, although he did appear in the comics later (and in the newspaper strip).
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

Thanks for some corrections to my post!
Gleeps, it's Batman

Thanks, Lord Death Man :)

Any idea if it was 14 miles to Gotham City in the comics, or if the show came up with that?
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

The series invented Mr. Freeze. He was of course based on Bob Kane's Mr. Zero, but he was changed to "Freeze" in the comics because of the show. The show also greatly affected The Clock King and Mad Hatter characters. And it catapulted 'The Riddler' from a throw-away 2nd string villain to the big four. And I'm not certain, but I'm gonna say the red phone began on the show.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

lets not forget...AUNT HARRIETS last name.....COOPER...originated on the T.V show !!!
Lord Death Man

Post by Lord Death Man »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:Thanks, Lord Death Man :)

Any idea if it was 14 miles to Gotham City in the comics, or if the show came up with that?
I am unaware of any references to distance from the Batcave to Gotham City in the comics (that being Detective, Batman, World's Finest, and Justice League). So it appears that was a creation of the TV show. It is a very effective 'visual shorthand' that establishes to an audience unfamiliar with Batman that Wayne Manor is located some distance from Gotham City and that is where Batman and Robin are headed. It would be interesting to find out if it was specified in the script, or if it was done by the prop department. What inspired them to use 14? Was there some other TV show or movie out at the time that used similar signage that this might have been a reference to? Maybe the man in the prop department who made it had to drive 14 miles to work and thought it a good number. :D

And also, while the TV show did not invent Alfred, it was responsible for bringing him back from the dead in the comics-literally. Alfred had been killed off while saving B & R (the Wayne Foundation started off as the Alfred Foundation) so that a female prescence could be introduced to Wayne Manor in the person of Aunt Harriet (in response to the aspersions cast on B & R's relationship by the 'Seduction of the Innocent' nonsense in the 50's). People who read the comics because of the show were confused that there was no Alfred. So they reintroduced him as the 'Outsider'-a bizarre supercriminal with supernatural powers and knowledge of all Batman's secrets. No one knew his identity and the storyline ran for quite some time as the Outsider appeared at random. Finally the Outsider transformed Batman and Robin into coffins (one of the best Batman covers ever!), but of course Batman triumphed and discovered that the Outsider was Alfred-he had not been dead after all (malpractice suit!), but comatose and resurrected by a scientist who turned him into a monster in the process. But Alfred was changed back to normal and returned to service.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Gleeps, it's Batman

Thanks to everyone for their answers :)

Lord Death Man, in looking at the cover you linked to, it brought up another question: Did Robin's "Holy . . . ! " exclamations originate in the comics or on the show?
Robin Holyisms

Post by Robin Holyisms »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:Thanks to everyone for their answers :)

Lord Death Man, in looking at the cover you linked to, it brought up another question: Did Robin's "Holy . . . ! " exclamations originate in the comics or on the show?
They were more fleshed out in the TV Series, but much to my surprise they originated from the comics.

Here are some examples Robin's Holy Sayings from 40's, 50''s, and 60's, comics.

elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Holy Amazing.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Thanks, Robin Holyisms :)
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Cool stuff. I bet the reanimator from the 66 movie (I forget what it was called) was not in the comics.

Pouches instead of tubes on the utility belt - TV show only
Folding Batarang - TV show only
Bat symbol on Utility Belt - rather than an oversize Santa Clause Buckle

Villains:
Siren,
King Tut
Shame
Ma Parker and her gang
how many more?

I agree that the 66 batmobile is a direct descendent of the 50's Batmobile - Bat on the face, a single cherry top on glass bubble. If you look at the Lincoln Futura - you see the glass dome. While the single wing is on the Comic batmobiles through the 50's, the dual wing was already introduced in the 1960s.

Batcycle?
Batboat?
Batcopter?

The comics used the Batgyro (not Ozzy Osborne's favorite greek sandwich) and Batplane.
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Villains:The Black Widow,Marsha,The Queen Of Diamonds,Colonel Gumm,The Sandman.