Yellow Oval

Star Quest Robin

Post by Yellow Oval »

"Hmmm... I don't like the twist this joke is taking. Let us away! Let us away!"
Jim Akin

Re: Star Quest Robin

Post by Jim Akin »

Wow. Thanks for uncovering this.

Burt's by far the best actor in evidence -- possibly because he's the only native English speaker(?). Co-star Liv Alexander, who evidently produced the thing, is bad in a way that seems to transcend the language barrier -- although that's no doubt a factor.

I'm not familiar with the Ibsen play on which this script is based, but sci-fi adaptations of classics can be cool. "Forbidden Planet" is based on Shakespeare's "The Tempest," and who could forget "Robinson Crusoe on Mars"?

I get the feeling this project has been in "production limbo" for quite some time. The copyright on the trailer says 2010, and IMDB lists it as a 2014 production, but Burt's appearance clearly indicates it was shot years (maybe decades) before "Return to the Batcave" in 2003. I gather the whole thing must be in the can, and it'd be fun to see the rest of it, if only as fodder for Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Cheers,

QQ
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

I wonder if maybe it was shot in the late 1980s-early 1990s. Up until about 1995-96, when the market imploded, there was a demand for low budget sci-fi and horror films. Usually, these films featured a former TV star, like Burt, to get money from investors, although the main draw for those of us who were teen-agers in the 1980s were the “Scream Queens,” a group of actresses whose entire careers consisted of starring in low budget genre films. The SQs were pretty much THE celebrity crushes for those of who were comic-book-nerds back then. Burt did at least four films that I know of with Linnea Quigley, who was probably the most popular of the Scream Queens, although Brinke Stevens was always my favorite. If you don’t know who Brinke and Linnea are...Well, you weren’t a teenager in the 1980s. From what I can tell from the trailer, this movie didn't have any of the scream queens.

The four films that Burt did with Linnea were The Girl I Want, Assault of the Party Nerds 2, Robot Ninja and Virgin High, none of which were among Linnea’s best. I think all four of those films did play on USA Up All Night and/or Joe Bob’s Drive-In Theater at some point in time. Even thought Batman was then and still is my favorite TV show, I have to admit that I probably watched all of those movies more due Linnea’s presence than Burt’s. Burt doesn't look a lot different on this trailer than he did in the movies he made with Linnea.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I have always been somewhat baffled about why Burt Ward, who claims to have been offered the lead in "The Graduate", was never in a post-Batman movie where he was billed above 10th! Usually below "Cop #1". He came across quite well in this clip. I've read that he played an unnamed dune buggy driver in a cheap horror film starring Stanford Repp! Which more strangely, was produced by Hubie Kerns. I can't be certain because I've never seen it. It's apparently on the lost or endangered film list.

http://templeofschlock.blogspot.com/200 ... ile-2.html
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
chetchumley

Post by chetchumley »

ROBIN & CHIEF O,HARA ??? together again ???? would love to see this movie...never even heard of this movie & odd pairing !! :shock:
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

If anyone is interested, here is a screen grab I found on the web of Burt as he appeared in Robot Ninja. The quality isn't great, but since this was a direct to video movie, the film quality itself wasn't really anything to write home about. The girl pictured with Burt is popular 80s-90s scream queen Linnea Quigley. (I hope I don't get in trouble for saying this, but the photo really doesn't do Linnea justice.)
Attachments
Robot-Ninja-Linnea-Quigley-Burt-Ward.jpg
Robot-Ninja-Linnea-Quigley-Burt-Ward.jpg (45.59 KiB) Viewed 2522 times