Aunt Harriet away from Wayne Manor

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Dr. Shimel

Aunt Harriet away from Wayne Manor

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Like Stafford Repp, Madge Blake also appeared on both M Squad and Dr. Kildare, playing roles similar to what we'd later see on Batman. On M Squad, she played the distraught mother of a murder victim, and on Kildare, she played a mother hen-type nurse.
Attachments
MSquad2.jpg
MSquad2.jpg (29.67 KiB) Viewed 7929 times
BlakeKildare.jpg
BlakeKildare.jpg (44.09 KiB) Viewed 7929 times
60s TV Fan

Re: Aunt Harriet away from Wayne Manor

Post by 60s TV Fan »

Don't forget her role as Larry Mondello's mother on Leave it to Beaver... another very "Aunt Harriet"- like role
weirdkorey

Post by weirdkorey »

I also really like her on the very first episode of The Addams Family
Jaws63

Post by Jaws63 »

It was also kinda funny to see her as a witch in "The witches are out" episode of Bewitched.
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

I read that she was offered the part of Aunt Bea on Andy Griffith -- she was the go to gal for that sort of part in the early to mid 60's. But she was too busy, so she recommended her friend Frances Bavier. And the rest is history! If she had done Andy Griffith, maybe Aunt Bea would've done Aunt Harriet! Mind blowing. Reminds of the old question, 'what if Shatner did Batman, and Adam West played Captain Kirk'!
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
HFFF1

Post by HFFF1 »

Don't forget our "Aunt Harriet" also appeared in the "Lucy and Superman" episode of "I Love Lucy".
Although she did not share screen time directly with George Reeves, she does have the honor of appearing in shows that featured Batman and Superman! :D
NX01JB

Post by NX01JB »

Wasn't she in an episode of My Favorite Martian? Seems Uncle Martin told Tim that she reminded him of his mother on Mars. Of course I could be confused LOL
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

She actually made two appearances on My Favorite Martian, though the photo below is likely not from the episode you mention. This one is from the first season, where naturally, she's playing a high society matron. The other came during the third and final season.
Attachments
MBlake.jpg
Shemp

Post by Shemp »

Progress Pigment wrote:I read that she was offered the part of Aunt Bea on Andy Griffith -- she was the go to gal for that sort of part in the early to mid 60's. But she was too busy, so she recommended her friend Frances Bavier.
Yes, but no.

Madge was initially approached to play 'Henrietta Perkins' in THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW episode "Danny Meets Andy Griffith" (the pilot episode of THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW). That part instead went to Frances Bavier. 'Henrietta' was very much in the Madge Blake mold, a flustered, jittery character... the woman who can't pay her bills because she's spent two years paying for the rental suit she buried her husband in. When CBS picked up TAGS, Bavier was given the role of 'Aunt Bee.'
gothosmansion

Post by gothosmansion »

She was also in the first part of the two part Man From U.N.C.L.E. episode "Alexander the Greater Affair." However, those two episodes weren't shown when the show was syndicated in the 1980s, because MGM was syndicating the movie version, One Spy Too Many, which was released as a theatrical film in Europe. Ironically enough, Madge Blake's scenes were edited out of the movie version, which featured an added subplot featuring future Batgirl, Yvonne Craig. Yvonne Craig was not seen in the TV version of the episodes. To be honest, I don't know if Alexander the Greater has aired since it was originally on network TV. I never saw the TV versions until the U.N.C.L.E. DVDs were released. Isn't that odd that sort-of foreshadowed what would happen on Batman, when Madge Blake had to leave the show just as Yvonne Craig was cast?

Madge Blake was also on the first season Man From U.N.C.L.E. episode, "The Yellow Scarf Affair." That one did air in syndication.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

60s TV Fan wrote:Don't forget her role as Larry Mondello's mother on Leave it to Beaver... another very "Aunt Harriet"- like role
That was a funny role; she was always threatening Larry with punishment from the off-screen father when he returned home. That, along with accusing Larry of upsetting his older sister (for whatever reason) was good stuff!
Beneath Wayne Manor
Spikor1982

Post by Spikor1982 »

I always thought she was much too old to play Larry's mother, but then again he did have a sister in high school. But still...
60s TV Fan wrote:Don't forget her role as Larry Mondello's mother on Leave it to Beaver... another very "Aunt Harriet"- like role
“It is the duty of every good citizen of Gotham City to report meeting a man from Mars in a public park."
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Just found another Bat-connection: Madge guest-starred on two episodes of December Bride, which starred Spring Byington (aka J. Pauline Spaghetti):

"Family Quarrel" (airdate Dec. 5, 1955)
"The Homecoming Show" (airdate Jan. 21, 1957)

Not on YouTube at the moment, unfortunately.
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
dell

Post by dell »

I saw "Singing in the Rain" last year and she was in that movie made in 1952. She plays the person interviewing all the stars on the red carpet as they show up for an award show like the Oscars.
dell
Bill S.C.

Post by Bill S.C. »

And of course as Flora MacMichael on the Real McCoys; which btw had episodes featuring Stafford Repp, Neil Hamilton and an episode about a crop duster named Buzz Cooper played by Adam West.
"Oh soon we'll be out amid the cold world's strife. Soon we'll be sliding down the razor blade of life." - Tom Lehrer