Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

1966 TV show type Bat-Items found on eBay, Collectibles, etc.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
You must read the MERCHANDISE RULES before participating here.
Jim Akin

Re: Batman TV series DVD set in 2014!!

Post by Jim Akin »

Hey, MV. My $.02 is a hunch that Warner Home Video will treat the DVD/Blu-Ray release as a deluxe package for die-hard fans, willing to cough up big bucks for a keepsake version of their favorite show, and that they'll use the streaming/download channel (with basically no cost of goods) to reach casual viewers.

IMHO, if they're smart, they'll avoid the classic route taken with many series -- releasing the first season to stream on Netflix or Amazon Prime as a teaser/"loss leader" for sales of later seasons or the full series (either digitally, via iTunes or Amazon or in physical-media form). Many in the know about Batman would probably be happy to watch season 1 and forego later seasons. Doing so would miss many fine moments (esp. in season two), but I still think it's so. So if I were WB, I'd create a "highlight season" with choice episodes featuring the Big Four villains, Tut, Mr. Freeze, Batgirl, etc., and use that as a teaser to purchase of the full series. Of course, no one asked me... :)

Cheers,

QQ
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

One thing to consider, don't wait too long. The complete 90's animated Batman is significantly more expensive than the individual seasons. Smallville, original TMNT same story.

I'm still wondering if they will have a Blu Ray DVD combo pack. 120 episodes is not really 3 years. It's more of a 2 year run with a few weeks extra. Think they'll include the Movie?
Some days you just can't get rid of a ... SHARK!
svl

Post by svl »

Doubtful on the film, since Fox already released it on DVD & BR.
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

Maybe they will supply a sleeve for the Movie like the Bond 50 set had for Skyfall
careycat

Post by careycat »

I asked Warner specifically if the set was cut or uncut, from someone who deals w/replacements of DVDs when cut versions are provided and uncut are demanded inside Warner. I specifically asked about the cameo scenes and music replacement.

"Unfortunately, I am not allowed to give any details about the box set. My apologies." - Warner Home Video Rep

There was some speculation on various postings I've seen around the web that Warner didn't use the word 'uncut' in describing the set.

I am HOPING when they reveal the details at ComicCon that they turn out to be uncut but at least this confirms Warner knows they didn't disclose this particular detail about the set and isn't supplying an answer at this time if asked.
Rockatansky

Post by Rockatansky »

So when's it going to appear on Amazon for a pre-order?
Lou Szabo

Post by Lou Szabo »

It's there now, but no pricing yet. You can sign up for notifications

Blu ray link
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Complete-B ... rds=Batman
marvelbloodhound

Post by marvelbloodhound »

Will the series set be 100% uncut? Anyone know this detail?
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

I love that 10 people have already reviewed the set on Amazon when it hasn't even had the street date officially announced! What is the misunderstanding about PRODUCT REVIEWS?

I think the series is as complete as the masters allow-- WB isn't releasing this like something akin to GREEN ACRES which was put out with little fanfare-- this one is big-- and I was one of the ones arguing for years that Batman was a cult show with a small following and I'm here saying I was wrong.

Warners has a good reputation (note I did not say excellent) for releasing complete films and series. My guess is the reason they aren't saying UNCUT is some of the bumpers (Next week... etc) are poor quality and they are deciding whether including them is a positive thing .

Price wise-- do shows get $200+ price tags? I don't run out and buy sets of anything so I wouldn't know. As a selling point right at Christmas I have to think the price would be something that was enticing but again AAAAALLLLLL of this is speculation.

On DVDs-- they WILL go away. We don't have a single media technology that is still in use. They come back like Vinyl did so that the crazy kids can hear the crackle and pop of a track rather than the pristine sound of digital. There will always be a niche. I've been to Wal*Mart three times in ten years (once to return something I bought on trip 2) but I do remember quite clearly the entire store looked like it had been ransacked EXCEPT for the book and CD Sections which looked untouched. So they may have the section but that doesn't mean anything sells there.

But why do people get so adamant about their opinions? If DVDs go away I still have my 1000+ movies and a player that I never watch now because I'm on Netflix or Amazon Prime-- but they're there if I ever decide to watch something I can't find streaming.

And Marvelbloodhound-- you need to take a deep breath, I'm worried for your health. Batman is being released on DVD, Blu and Digital-- it'll look better and be more intact than 90% of the bootlegs we all have but deny owning so it'll be an improvement.

If the worst happens and these are horrible washed out or too dark or even just replaced digitally with the Golden Girls as our beloved cast (Four Aunt Harriets?) is it really the end of the world? Nope. The sun still comes up and we can all run over and order our pink cowl variant Figures Inc mego and recognize this is the absolute GOLDEN age for classic '66 Batman fans and I'm happy that Adam and Burt are around to see and profit from it.

So let's all just relax a little bit, fellow batfans. It's ALL going to be okay.
Wayne Faucher

Post by Wayne Faucher »

I'm with Andy on this one. We all waited for decades and here it is. Will it be EVERYTHING we hoped for? Of course not. It never is. It's basic human psychology that the waiting is always better than the getting. How many Christmases were actually as good as the anticipation? Man, I had more fun looking for where my parents had hidden the gifts than actually getting them! That lasted for weeks!

So yeah, this WILL be the official release. No, it won't be perfect in everyone's eyes. But I'm going to admit something here. Brace yourself...I actually was happy with the 1/18 Hot Wheels Batmobile. There, I said it. Wanna know why? Because it was better what I had before.....

So, I sit in my studio and admire my Hot Toys West and Ward figures. I inspect my big Mattel Batmobile and I thumb through an issue of DC's 1966 BATMAN comic book while I anticipate the release of the huge 1/6 Hot Toys '66 Batmobile. I mean, is this really a bad time for '66 Batman collectors?
greatlakes6

Post by greatlakes6 »

WEFINKS wrote:I'm with Andy on this one. We all waited for decades and here it is. Will it be EVERYTHING we hoped for? Of course not. It never is. It's basic human psychology that the waiting is always better than the getting. How many Christmases were actually as good as the anticipation? Man, I had more fun looking for where my parents had hidden the gifts than actually getting them! That lasted for weeks!

So yeah, this WILL be the official release. No, it won't be perfect in everyone's eyes. But I'm going to admit something here. Brace yourself...I actually was happy with the 1/18 Hot Wheels Batmobile. There, I said it. Wanna know why? Because it was better what I had before.....

So, I sit in my studio and admire my Hot Toys West and Ward figures. I inspect my big Mattel Batmobile and I thumb through an issue of DC's 1966 BATMAN comic book while I anticipate the release of the huge 1/6 Hot Toys '66 Batmobile. I mean, is this really a bad time for '66 Batman collectors?
AndyFish wrote:I love that 10 people have already reviewed the set on Amazon when it hasn't even had the street date officially announced! What is the misunderstanding about PRODUCT REVIEWS?

I think the series is as complete as the masters allow-- WB isn't releasing this like something akin to GREEN ACRES which was put out with little fanfare-- this one is big-- and I was one of the ones arguing for years that Batman was a cult show with a small following and I'm here saying I was wrong.

Warners has a good reputation (note I did not say excellent) for releasing complete films and series. My guess is the reason they aren't saying UNCUT is some of the bumpers (Next week... etc) are poor quality and they are deciding whether including them is a positive thing .

Price wise-- do shows get $200+ price tags? I don't run out and buy sets of anything so I wouldn't know. As a selling point right at Christmas I have to think the price would be something that was enticing but again AAAAALLLLLL of this is speculation.

On DVDs-- they WILL go away. We don't have a single media technology that is still in use. They come back like Vinyl did so that the crazy kids can hear the crackle and pop of a track rather than the pristine sound of digital. There will always be a niche. I've been to Wal*Mart three times in ten years (once to return something I bought on trip 2) but I do remember quite clearly the entire store looked like it had been ransacked EXCEPT for the book and CD Sections which looked untouched. So they may have the section but that doesn't mean anything sells there.

But why do people get so adamant about their opinions? If DVDs go away I still have my 1000+ movies and a player that I never watch now because I'm on Netflix or Amazon Prime-- but they're there if I ever decide to watch something I can't find streaming.

And Marvelbloodhound-- you need to take a deep breath, I'm worried for your health. Batman is being released on DVD, Blu and Digital-- it'll look better and be more intact than 90% of the bootlegs we all have but deny owning so it'll be an improvement.

If the worst happens and these are horrible washed out or too dark or even just replaced digitally with the Golden Girls as our beloved cast (Four Aunt Harriets?) is it really the end of the world? Nope. The sun still comes up and we can all run over and order our pink cowl variant Figures Inc mego and recognize this is the absolute GOLDEN age for classic '66 Batman fans and I'm happy that Adam and Burt are around to see and profit from it.

So let's all just relax a little bit, fellow batfans. It's ALL going to be okay.
I'm with both of you on this, very well said.
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

It's going to be, and has been, better than okay. It's Bat Heaven. If it gets any better than this, I'd be very surprised. We're seeing merchandise the level of which NEVER would have happened in the 60s, when pop culture merchandise was considered disposable. Now we have museum quality figures and maquettes, variants and accessories that appeal to the fan's knowledge of minutiae like the BatBomb, Shark Repellent, and Batusi, and shortly, the best looking prints ever of the show to watch whenever and wherever we want. Most importantly, the main stars are still around to revel in the knowledge that something they did for a brief part of their careers has influenced so many so positively and continues to be aired when so many other shows of the period that ran longer have fallen by the wayside and are remembered only by the most ardent of fans.

Seals and Crofts sang, "We may never pass this way again."
marvelbloodhound

Post by marvelbloodhound »

As soon as the release date is announced, I'll feel better. In the words of Steven "flounder" Furst, "Oh boy, this is gonna be GREAT!!! ;)
brightknight

Post by brightknight »

Szabol wrote:Think they'll include the Movie?
No, I don't think they will. Doesn't bother me though, I have it on Blu-ray already.