shark repellent can

Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts.

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Forum rules
Costume making, prop building and other '66 Bat-related arts and crafts. Great place for info and helpful tips. Proudly display your latest creation. Please keep it '66 Batman related otherwise it will be moved to OFF-TOPIC.

(NO SOLICITATION). If you're looking to BUY or SELL something, go to the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Even if you're trying to assemble a costume by buying or acquiring different crafted items rather than constructing or customizing them yourself, then it belongs in the MERCHANDISE SECTION. Don't even ask somebody if they're planning on selling something within this section.

Be sure to read the Board Rules as well before posting for the first time.

Thank you!
rickrickrick

shark repellent can

Post by rickrickrick »

I searched this forum, and the archives, and could not find any information about this.

Anyone know of a good aerosol spray can to use as a base for a shark repellent prop replica?
repellent.jpg
repellent.jpg (19.68 KiB) Viewed 9487 times
Many thanks in advance for your help.

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
batfan1705

Re: shark repellent can

Post by batfan1705 »

I'm not sure if this can is the correct size, but it is what I plan on using for my prop.

Plus, it already comes with a yellow cap!
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Pretty nice match - plus, the shark won't squeak! :D

RRR
The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I used can air cans for my set.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

That was my original intent, Troy, but I couldn't find any in the right shape/configuration.

Are you in the US? What brand did you use?

RRR
Batdave

Post by Batdave »

I was checking into this too. Check out doityourselflettering.com for the letters, I used them for my Bat Shield. Looks like the font Aharoni is a very good match.
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Thanks for that link, Batdave. I will check them out.

Still looking for appropriate cans - been too busy to do much searching...

RRR
Batdave

Post by Batdave »

Thanks for starting this post. It got me to get in gear and finish my project. I looked through a lot of spray cans and finally found Quick Color spray paint at home depot. It is very cheap and uses the older style cans that have a straight body and rims on the top and bottom of the can. Newer cans usually have indents at the top and bottom.
paint can.jpg
paint can.jpg (162.78 KiB) Viewed 9219 times
I did not want people looking at the can and then trying to spray it, so I emptied the paint. This was the most annoying part of the project. I then sanded the whole can with a fine sanding pad. I primed with dark grey primer and then painted with a coat of midnight blue metallic paint I bought from an auto store. I was not 100% happy with the color so I will be trying another one. There are a bunch of different dark metallic blue auto paints so you should not have a very hard time finding something. I made sure to mask off the top smaller ring and nozzle of the can.

I bought the letters from doityourselflettering.com. They are very easy to apply.
letters.jpg
letters.jpg (208.54 KiB) Viewed 9219 times
The yellow cap came from a can of spray silicone also sold at Home Depot.
Final.jpg
Final.jpg (191.85 KiB) Viewed 9219 times
rickrickrick

Post by rickrickrick »

Very nicely done, sir!

RRR
QuickBat Allan

Post by QuickBat Allan »

well done.. That is one on my back burner that I would love to do.
my wife is my Batgirl
bradentonbat

Post by bradentonbat »

Okay, now that's just cool!
Well done!
"Confound it, the batteries are dead!"
TheBatfan

Post by TheBatfan »

Actually made one of those this week will finish the full set next week maybe along with the holder. I do vinyl lettering so I digitized some images from screen grabs to get the lettering the same spacing and etc as the original and cut my set.

also for the fun of it I did a etched glass with the shark repellent on one side and did an etching of Batman and the shark on the other ..

Gleeps, it's Batman

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Cool! Very well done on both jobs, guys, the Shark Repellent can and the etchings.
Gotham

Post by Gotham »

My Wife does a lot of Craft things. She has a little machine called a Cricut . There are a lot of different font cartridges and it cuts out of vinyl material that comes in a ton of colors!!!
Now if I only had a 3D Printer!
I may not agree with what you say at times, But I will fight for your right to say it!
TheBatfan

Post by TheBatfan »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:Cool! Very well done on both jobs, guys, the Shark Repellent can and the etchings.

Thanks Gleeps I try and come up with stuff no one else has done with my etchings and stuff..