Old articles

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gleeps, it's Batman

Old articles

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

Still haven't been able to find a lot of my old stuff, like my pictures of Adam West at a car show, or the Viewmaster with the Batman reels, or the Batman paperback with the green cover, but I did find an envelope of old articles that I'd saved back in my 70s 'Batmania'. I don't have a working scanner, so am taking pictures of them the best I can with a camera.

Here's a TV Week from when ABC did the Batman salute on their anniversary show:

I was surprised to read that Adam and Burt taking their bows was not recorded at the same time as the Bat Tribute was. Interesting how Hollywood works, but I guess it would have been too long to make everyone sit through every act, so they recorded the acts separately from whatever party they were having. I know the video of it was on youtube last year, but I haven't looked for it again since that time that I found it there.

I have not seen Legend of the Superheroes since 1979 and don't remember anything about it, so I don't remember if it was anything like what Adam was describing in this article, but please tell me he didn't get a writing credit on Legends of the Superheroes, since everything I've heard about it has been pretty bad.
Lord Death Man

Re: Old articles

Post by Lord Death Man »

Gleeps, it's Batman wrote:...or the Batman paperback with the green cover...
That would be "Batman vs. 3 Villains of Doom"? I always wondered why The Riddler did not make it into the book.
He flies and fights-BATMAN!
Purity and virtue-BATMAN!
Cowards run away!
Batman saves the day!
Also, Boy Wonder Robin.
Batman and Robin-caped crusaders at night!
BIFF! POW! BAM! BATMAN!
Gleeps, it's Batman

I just googled it, and yes, that would be the paperback that I had. I'd read it again if I could find the darn thing.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

Riddler probably wasn't in it because they didn't want to make the book too long or take any space away from the Joker, Penguin, and Catwoman.

I first read that paperback in the '70's, and got ahold of it somehow in the '90's. I sold it about 2 or 3 years ago on eBay.
Gleeps, it's Batman

I was just poking around online looking at that paperback, and there were 5 of them? I thought there were only 2 paperbacks. Shows what I know. LOL. I see 3 of them have comic book covers, though, including the one that I thought was the other of the two I'd seen around. (I never read that one.)

Oh well, learn something new every day.

And I've taken my own thread way off track. LOL.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Well, to get the thread back on track ...

Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Thanks for sharing. The writer of that TV Week piece suffered from poor memory (the show was *expanded* to two nights?) and erroneous source material (Joan Crawford, instead of John Crawford, as Bookworm's printer's devil), but the interview with Adam is great. His "Sun-Yat Mars" bit, spoofing the Rev. Moon's Unification church, could have been pretty funny -- better than Legends of the Superheroes, anyway.

Cheers,

QQ
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Excellent.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Thanks for posting the articles!
Beneath Wayne Manor
NJ_Batfan

Post by NJ_Batfan »

Fascinating articles. I, too, was surprised that Adam and Burt were not reacting to the on-stage Bat tribute, but I do remember watching the ABC Silver Anniversary when it originally aired and thinking it peculiar that they were taking a bow after someone else did the work on stage. Mystery solved. Thank you for posting.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Two more:

Gleeps, it's Batman

Does anybody have any color copies of these TV Guide articles? I remember when I got these photocopies at the library in the 70s, the librarian would take them out of the room and photocopy them for you, so that's why they're on that shiny copy paper and rather crappy looking.

elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Excellent.
Gleeps, it's Batman

I was poking around Neil Hamilton's IMDB page, and they have links to some of his work. I clicked on Lady Behave and found it amusing that in that movie he has a butler named Alfred. :D
Ben Bentley

Post by Ben Bentley »

Loving these classic articles. It's always fascinating to see how the media treated the show whilst it was on the air.