Bat theme song used on Fantasy Island

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

Gleeps, it's Batman

Bat theme song used on Fantasy Island

Post by Gleeps, it's Batman »

I've been DVRing Fantasy Island. Adam West's first appearance should have aired this month, but COZI-TV skipped it! :( (I swear they skipped his Virginian episode a few months ago too.)

Anyway, I was going through last Sunday's episodes, and what do I hear, but a version of the Batman theme used for another superhero. It sure took me by surprise to hear Fantasy Island steal the Batman theme and change the words of the theme to "Eagleman" to fit a fake comic book hero storyline. Eagleman is played by Bob Denver who, in a Gilligan reference, calls his son "little buddy". So I'm guessing they had to pay somebody for the rights to mess with the Bat theme as they did?
John Mack

Re: Bat theme song used on Fantasy Island

Post by John Mack »

First, let me thank you for jogging my memory! I saw that episode first run and it totally slipped my mind.

As far as the rights question, I am sure in today's world it would be yes. But as for back then? Probably ASCAP or Hefti himself would have been at least contacted? Not sure.

John
Music. BAT! Music.
Gleeps, it's Batman

I see that someone has uploaded Adam's first Fantasy Island episode to youtube since I last looked for it. He's a supporting player in a storyline that includes Roddy McDowall as The Devil. LOL. There's actually one shot of Roddy speaking from a cave, and I'm wondering if they used the opposite side of Bronson Cave (the Batcave) for that. The shot of Carol Lynley on a hill in the background would have been CGIed in later, if it was even called CGI back in 1980.
batbelfry

Post by batbelfry »

I saw that Fantasy Island episode with Bob Denver when it first aired.

Although I haven't seen it in decades, I recently did think about it when I saw the trailer for upcoming Michael Keaton movie "Birdman"...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2562232/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_2

the costume made me think of it.
Gleeps, it's Batman

Here's the ripped off theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHJS0tv ... e&t=21m37s

And I *knew* they'd skipped Adam's episode. They're finally airing it on August 31st.
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

No, they wouldn't have paid for rights, they would have carefully changed enough notes in it so that it wasn't a direct steal. That happens frequently when you're trying to parody something.
chrisbcritter

Post by chrisbcritter »

Maybe back when this was aired the fees for use of this song weren't that high?
Now about that eagle costume... :?
(Actually, having once made my own eagle costume - long story - I can appreciate all the effort that went into that featherwork!)
"To the medical eye, such childish claptrap means only one thing, young man: You need some sleep."
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

Thank you! I've watch a lot of Fantasy Island -- I can't believe I missed it and had never heard about it! Odd, they did a Batman homage on Gilligan's Island too with ZAP! POW! effects! Somehow 'Gilligan' was able to afford the first season type effects without resorting to cutting away to them like 'Batman' did in season 2 & 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPY21IGMRSc

Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

The probably could use the fight graphic on GI because was a one off and budgeted for in the episode not an every week thing.

As for music licensing , those who know about such things can correct but I think if a clip is less than a certain a license fee isn't necessary.
John S. Drew

Post by John S. Drew »

There was an episode of The Avengers that was an homage to the series in which Steed and Peel take on a comic book character, The Winged Avenger, come to life. Can't find the final fight scene that features their version of the Bat theme, but there is the conclusion that has a familiar element.

[BBvideo 425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3oJ2wQKd0o[/BBvideo]
elmrgraham

Post by elmrgraham »

Excellent.
Gleeps, it's Batman

I finally watched both of Adam's episodes of Fantasy Island. How weird that he was married to Carol Lynley in both episodes, three seasons apart. Wonder how that happened? (They were playing different characters, not the same married couple.)

I don't remember any other Batman characters in the second episode (Roddy McDowell played the Devil in the first episode) but I saw another episode that had two villains (Victor Buono and Carolyn Jones) and a not quite Batman (Lyle Waggoner). :D