Mr. Freeze

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

DantheMan3000

Mr. Freeze

Post by DantheMan3000 »

Why weren`t they ever able to find one actor to portray Mr Freeze on the show?
Turkey Bowinkle

Re: Mr. Freeze

Post by Turkey Bowinkle »

It's hard to find somebody willing to do it more than once- hey, it gets really cold!

My real guess would probably be that George Sanders was busy at Disney doing the voice of Shere Khan for JUNGLE BOOK, Nobody wanted Otto to come back, and by the time Eli finished his stint, the budget for a frozen lair would have been drastically cut for a third season episode.

Sanders gets my vote as the best IMHO, BTW.
BATWINGED HORNET

Post by BATWINGED HORNET »

Turkey Bowinkle wrote: Sanders gets my vote as the best IMHO, BTW.
x1000.

Sanders' Freeze was a mix of respectability and sinister determination in his scheme. He seemed like a real threat, rather than a theme-gimmick of the week. Otto's "vild" was too cartoonish (and just a rehash of a million other "European supervillains" of 1960s spy-happy movies & TV) or just plain silly. Finally, Eli was not much better, as he was not really a person as established by Sanders. He was just a caricature of the costumed villain idea.
Beneath Wayne Manor
High C

Post by High C »

According to Dozier's papers, Dozier actually wanted to bring back Preminger even though, according to Adam's book, everyone hated him. But Otto was unavailable so Eli Wallach got the call.
'I thought Siren was perfect for Joan.'--Stanley Ralph Ross, writer of 'The Wail of the Siren'

My hobbies include gazing at the Siren and doing her bidding, evil or otherwise.

'She had a devastating, hypnotic effect on all the men.'--A schoolmate describing Joan Collins at age 17
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

Otto was unavailable for the third appearance (besides for being loathed by virtually everyone) because his movie, "Hurry Sundown," was ready to open in February 1967.
clavierankh

Post by clavierankh »

One thing that bothered me. In later episodes they took away a lot of the villain's menace. George Sanders portrayal was straight and dangerous. Otto and Eli played it much broader.

Also in the Sanders' episode the Freeze gun was scary. In later episodes they got blasted and were like "Meh, were wearing our bat skivvies and we've got anti freeze on our exposed skin so it doesn't bother us." Also Mr. Freeze now has a freeze collar. He doesn't need the refrigerated suit or hide out. I remember in the first one Batman trying to develop an anti Freeze pill to meet Mr. Freeze on hi own ground. That wasn't necessary any more. I'm sure the collar was developed for budget reasons. The FX in Mr. Freeze's hide out must have been expensive.
Jim Akin

Post by Jim Akin »

Maybe some of the folks here who have combed the paperwork can chime in, but I'd be willing to bet the Sanders Mr. Freeze episodes had the highest FX budget of any installments. In addition to the basic fight-scene optical effects, there were the "frosty fog" and "temperate zones" in Freeze's hideout, the "throbbing halo" effect used on victims who'd been frozen solid, and the heat ray built in to the freeze gun. None of those effects was ever seen again, and the amount of non-batfight optical FX in other Season 1 episodes (Batbeam, utility belt laser pistol, Super Instant Mesmerizer, etc.) were equivalent to those for the heat ray alone.
Gernot

Post by Gernot »

I think I've read it here before, but now I forget: What did Otto Preminger do that made everyone seem to hate him so?
Mr.Freeze

Post by Mr.Freeze »

He acted like a jerk on set , to put it mildly :|