Talk Episodes Here

General goings on in the 1966 Batman World

Moderators: Scott Sebring, Ben Bentley

AndyFish

Talk Episodes Here

Post by AndyFish »

Why not start a thread where we can just discuss these episodes we're "seeing for the first time"?

I'll start-
I pushed my way through Season 3 so I can end with the first two seasons. Three is not as bad as I remembered it, some of it is downright awful, but there are some gems.

I'LL BE A MUMMY'S UNCLE
Tut accidently discovers the Batcave while digging for a precious metal on the new property he bought adjacent to Wayne Manor.

Victor Buono is in fine form here as Tut, as are his Tuttlings.

Henchgirl: "Why does he get to be royal geologist too?"
Tut: "We're working on a budget here."

Just loaded with outright laughs. The show became a comedy by this point and in this episode it works.
JWLJN

Re: Talk Episodes Here

Post by JWLJN »

I really thought that the discussed scene where Batman and Robin visit Rosetta Stone at home would end up as a scene that I hadn't seen before, but it never made it into the episode. I guess it ended up on the cutting room floor before it aired, because I can't believe they'd have wasted Kathleen Freeman with just three lines. She was a known character actress and actually would've made a great villain herself.

-J\/\/
John Mack

Post by John Mack »

Was shocked to still hear the trumpet blasts out of sync in the pilot episode's opening credits. I was always under the impression that it was that way in syndication due to the episode being played over and over.

Great thread Andy!

John
Music. BAT! Music.
BatDavidEvanSmith

Post by BatDavidEvanSmith »

Smack In The Middle:

-Loving the textured print in Riddler's green plaid suit while he's wearing the elephant mask over his gas mask. Wish he was able to wear this in rotation with his other two costumes in other appearances beyond this one.

-I didn't recall that the air vent he popped through at the Moldavian banquet at the end had a small sign over it that said Air Vent. I thought that was only in the Batcave and other villainous lairs, didn't release it was all over Gotham, where the obvious is apparently hard to detect.

-Alfred in a tux is really odd. Glad that didn't stick.

-The five o'clock shadow on Bruce/Batman is startling. Dick/Robin also!

-The opening and closing credits are so SHARP and VIVID!!!
"When we get to the royal oil boiling room, be sure to prepare some real boiling royal boiling oil to boil the boy wonder in... royally."
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

Spotted a costume recycling I hadn't noticed before where Skye Aubrey in "Ice Spy" wears the same green swimsuit Julie Gregg wore in "Fine Finny Fiends".
AndyFish

Post by AndyFish »

Yeah there's a lot of recycled costumes and props, never noticed either!
JWLJN

Post by JWLJN »

BatDavidEvanSmith wrote: -Loving the textured print in Riddler's green plaid suit while he's wearing the elephant mask over his gas mask. Wish he was able to wear this in rotation with his other two costumes in other appearances beyond this one.
I remember seeing an article about the John Azarian tv prop collection about twenty years ago, and he had this suit in his collection. I hadn't seen that episode in forever and thought for sure it was a fake, only remembering the question mark suit.

-J\/\/
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

There's one little recycled prop that was always to be found on the Desilu backlot I got a kick out of seeing again. In the first Tut episode of S3 when Batman and Robin fight the goons in front of the "Stadium" there's a boxing poster for "Kid McCook vs. Mike Mason." This same poster can be seen in the classic Star Trek episode "City On The Edge Of Forever" when Kirk and Spock first come through the Guardian of Forever into the past, and I've also seen it in a city street scene from a first season "Mannix" episode (which was Batman S3).
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

epaddon wrote:There's one little recycled prop that was always to be found on the Desilu backlot I got a kick out of seeing again. In the first Tut episode of S3 when Batman and Robin fight the goons in front of the "Stadium" there's a boxing poster for "Kid McCook vs. Mike Mason." This same poster can be seen in the classic Star Trek episode "City On The Edge Of Forever" when Kirk and Spock first come through the Guardian of Forever into the past, and I've also seen it in a city street scene from a first season "Mannix" episode (which was Batman S3).
That's hilarious.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Progress Pigment

Post by Progress Pigment »

AndyFish wrote: I'LL BE A MUMMY'S UNCLE
Tut accidently discovers the Batcave while digging for a precious metal on the new property he bought adjacent to Wayne Manor.

Victor Buono is in fine form here as Tut, as are his Tuttlings.
There's really a lot of good stuff in this episode! Batman was the star again instead of Batgirl. The return of Bat-gas! (Just ... breathe ... normally.) And the total destruction of the Batcave! Like the finale of the Joker/Penguin 3 parter, but more so! Batman & Robin breaking the 3 minute mile, and the ending. Just hilarious. "I prefer not to think of those things Robin, they depress me." :lol: If only every third season Batman episode had been this well done. I'd put it along side the Siren episode.
Next week, the Dynamic Duo meets the Clock King!
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

epaddon wrote:There's one little recycled prop that was always to be found on the Desilu backlot I got a kick out of seeing again. In the first Tut episode of S3 when Batman and Robin fight the goons in front of the "Stadium" there's a boxing poster for "Kid McCook vs. Mike Mason." This same poster can be seen in the classic Star Trek episode "City On The Edge Of Forever" when Kirk and Spock first come through the Guardian of Forever into the past, and I've also seen it in a city street scene from a first season "Mannix" episode (which was Batman S3).
During that first season of Mannix, the outside of Wayne Manor is "recycled" for a scene as well. :lol:
epaddon

Post by epaddon »

I also realized for the first time that in the second Louie The Lilac episode, when the maintenance man is in Barbara's apartment her line, ""I know the wall revolves. Apparently it was built to do that for a previous tenant" is an inside joke reference to it being the former Green Hornet set.
BatDavidEvanSmith

In the Zelda episode, Hilary Stonewin is the woman who runs the jewelers where Batman plants the fake Star of Samarkand. Is that Woman's name a play on Harry Winston?
"When we get to the royal oil boiling room, be sure to prepare some real boiling royal boiling oil to boil the boy wonder in... royally."
BatDavidEvanSmith

Didn't realize Mad Hatter's hair was so fire-engine red, but his mustache is more brown...
Dr. Shimel

Post by Dr. Shimel »

BatDavidEvanSmith wrote:In the Zelda episode, Hilary Stonewin is the woman who runs the jewelers where Batman plants the fake Star of Samarkand. Is that Woman's name a play on Harry Winston?
Every other name seemed to be, so it's probably a safe bet.